Beardie Choking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanacre0

I woke up this morning when my Beardie, Marvin, kind of flailed and banged his nose against the glass of his viv. I noticed he was very dark and his mouth was WIDE open. I took him out and his stomach was kind of bloated. He then did a sort of wheeze and threw up 3 locusts and 3 wax worms, all that he had eaten basically. He then continued to wheeze. His eyes were half open and dilated. He's in the vets now waiting till the reptile vet comes in. He stomach had gone down and his eyes were more normal, but he was still very dark. He also did a wheeze like he had earlier just before we left, and his eyes went half closed. It did sort of look like he couldn't breathe, like he was choking or something.
I'm just waiting to hear from the vet. I'm so worried about him. Does anyone know what it could be? I have a cold, could he have somehow caught it? It sounds stupid, but I looked up beardie symptoms and it was the same as respiratory infection but I didn't notice any mucus.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm sorry that your beardie is sick . :( First of all, they can't catch our colds/flus. What happened is that he vomited, and then just like people sometimes, he may have aspirated [ breathed in ] some of it. Hopefully he'll be fine, but you want to figure out why he vomited. Was he eating larger than usual, or new prey items , or was this his normal type of meal ? Sometimes they can't digest if the insects are too large and/or there was not enough heat or if he was kept out of his tank too long after being fed. But he can recover easily from vomiting , hopefully he did not aspirate food into his lungs, which will be more serious and can cause a respiratory infection. If he did, hopefully the vet will get him back to good shape.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so sorry ! :( If there were no indications of illness before, then I'm sure this was a total shock. I'm sorry it ended up being so serious, all my sympathy to you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom