Beardie can't dedicate help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfiikt

My beardie can't deficate. His lights go off about 630 pm getting 12 hours of light a day. I have a reptisun uv bulb that is about a month old. Substrate is ceramic tile. He eats super worms and I feel awful for switching him because I feel that's what caused this problem. I gave him a bath in warm water while rubbing his belly and I could see he was trying to go. His really wiggling and straining. He is currently really stressed with a black beard and flanks. He's just staring at the wall. If anyone could please help me I would really appreciate it. I'm so upset and I feel like its all my fault. :(

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
How big is your beardie? What size supers did you use? You can try baby food prunes, but the best thing I have tried is mineral oil. It usually makes them go within a day. Keep up the warm baths, make him swim in the bath that gets things moving too. But I do swear by mineral oil.

Perfiikt

Original Poster
Thanks I'll try that do you know where to get it and how much to give him? He's a little over a year old and I feed him ones that are about an inch long

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
how long did you let him soak for??, continue the baths, making sure they are on the warm to hot side... without burning him.. check the water on the inside of the wrist like you would for a baby. You can try to give him some applesauce to help him go. When was the last time he went?

Perfiikt

Original Poster
I let him soak for about 20 minutes . He tried to go in the tub. The last time he went was about 2 or 3 weeks ago

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
If he's trying to go, then yes there is something blocking him. Applesauce works too, but mineral oil is the best. You can find it at any grocery store or pharmacy. I would give him 4mls. It takes about 8 hours to work. If you can give it to him at night, then give him a bath in the morning. I would let him stay in the bath for awhile, maybe even 40 minutes.

Perfiikt

Original Poster
Looks like I'll give that to him tomorrow and see what happens... I'm so upset and feel like a terrible owner :( I just want to see him happy again

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Perfiikt":224s2svh said:
Looks like I'll give that to him tomorrow and see what happens... I'm so upset and feel like a terrible owner :( I just want to see him happy again

It's nothing you did. he is old enough for superworms. How many did you give him? My 5 & 6 month old eat large supers and digest them just fine. It may be something else. Don't beat yourself up over it. Get the mineral oil, warm baths, and like I said make him swim in his bath, keep dragging him to the deeper area, and then let him swim to the more shallow area. The movement helps them move their bowels.

Perfiikt

Original Poster
I woke up this morning and no poop in the cage do I put him in the tub where again he was drinking lots of water... After about 20 minutes of him straining and me rubbing his belly he slipped one out... It's about 1 1/2 inches long by 3/4 inches wide.... I can see why he was having trouble. It doesn't look like normal poop though it's gray in color and his urin is mixed in with it...after all the water he drank I'm thinking he might go again today just to clear himself out. Thanks everyone for your help is there anything else I should do for the poor guy? Or letting him rest the best thing?

Perfiikt

Original Poster
He just pooped again although it was rather sloppy if you will. Guessing it's because of all the water he drank in the past 12 hours. Getting him some fresh food today and see if he takes...suggestions?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Perfiikt":2pv4960k said:
He just pooped again although it was rather sloppy if you will. Guessing it's because of all the water he drank in the past 12 hours. Getting him some fresh food today and see if he takes...suggestions?

I would stick to greens right now, for the next couple of days. Do you have any soft bodied worms, like reptiworms, butterworms, or hornworms? I would cut down on the amount of supers per day. Maybe like 5 - 7 every other day. At over a year, he doesn't need that many feeders. About 30 per week.

Perfiikt

Original Poster
He won't stop pooping now lol poor guy must have felt terrible...I'm laying off the feeders for a few days just giving him a supply of greens everyday for a few days. He seems quite happy now... I can't blame him!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Perfiikt":2wfg82fi said:
He won't stop pooping now lol poor guy must have felt terrible...I'm laying off the feeders for a few days just giving him a supply of greens everyday for a few days. He seems quite happy now... I can't blame him!

So happy for him ;) :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom