Beardie basking all day, very lethargic, not eating much.

Krissy_p

Beardie name(s)
John McClane
Hi all,

My beardie is 12 months. We’ve had her for just over a week. She had runny diarrhea yesterday morning, so I took her to the vet. First, I found out she’s a she (we were told male when we adopted haha). But turns out she has a higher than normal level of pinworms, giardia and coccidia. We now have her on meds (every 48 hours for 3 doses). She still has not had a poop in 5 days (other than a very small amount of diarrhea yesterday). She’s also incredibly lethargic and barely eating. She had a tiny bit of greens yesterday and 2 dubias. Today she won’t touch her greens at all.

She’s currently in a 40g (not putting her in her upgrade until she’s worm free). Basking site right around 99, warm side at 90 and cool side 77. Her 12% Arcadia tube is on her basking side above the mesh.

This is my first bearded dragon and I want to make sure I’m doing right by her. Is having parasites the likely reason she’s acting so lethargic and not eating? And also not pooping? The vet said she looked good, so I don’t want to overreact and freak out, but her lethargy and unwillingness to eat is really worrying me. She still has two doses left of her medicine. Should I bother her while she’s sick and give her a bath so that hopefully she will poop? Or should I just leave her alone for a while? She spent all day asleep on her basking site today and just now crawled down into her hide to continue sleeping.

Attachments

• 1F7D6383-99C9-47B8-A713-23493335EB9F.jpeg
    1F7D6383-99C9-47B8-A713-23493335EB9F.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 6AF0D865-5DA0-4C78-9365-F93A8FBCB252.jpeg
    6AF0D865-5DA0-4C78-9365-F93A8FBCB252.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 54

HyperLollipop

Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hi all,

My beardie is 12 months. We’ve had her for just over a week. She had runny diarrhea yesterday morning, so I took her to the vet. First, I found out she’s a she (we were told male when we adopted haha). But turns out she has a higher than normal level of pinworms, giardia and coccidia. We now have her on meds (every 48 hours for 3 doses). She still has not had a poop in 5 days (other than a very small amount of diarrhea yesterday). She’s also incredibly lethargic and barely eating. She had a tiny bit of greens yesterday and 2 dubias. Today she won’t touch her greens at all.

She’s currently in a 40g (not putting her in her upgrade until she’s worm free). Basking site right around 99, warm side at 90 and cool side 77. Her 12% Arcadia tube is on her basking side above the mesh.

This is my first bearded dragon and I want to make sure I’m doing right by her. Is having parasites the likely reason she’s acting so lethargic and not eating? And also not pooping? The vet said she looked good, so I don’t want to overreact and freak out, but her lethargy and unwillingness to eat is really worrying me. She still has two doses left of her medicine. Should I bother her while she’s sick and give her a bath so that hopefully she will poop? Or should I just leave her alone for a while? She spent all day asleep on her basking site today and just now crawled down into her hide to continue sleeping.
Hey! I'm a new beardie owner myself so I can't really help, but I would suggest moving this to the Beardie ER forum for a quicker response.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
more than likely you're dealing with the parasites, the meds, and relocation stress combined. all will cause them to go off their food and be more lethargic. is she black bearding at all?

you mentioned the uvb is on top of the screen. can you send a picture of the screen? the distance the basking decor will need to be under it will depend on the type of screen.

and are you using probe thermometers to get your temps? they are the most accurate, especially for the basking temp. temp guns can be wrong depending on the material they are reading off of.

Krissy_p

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John McClane
more than likely you're dealing with the parasites, the meds, and relocation stress combined. all will cause them to go off their food and be more lethargic. is she black bearding at all?

you mentioned the uvb is on top of the screen. can you send a picture of the screen? the distance the basking decor will need to be under it will depend on the type of screen.

and are you using probe thermometers to get your temps? they are the most accurate, especially for the basking temp. temp guns can be wrong depending on the material they are reading off of.
Sure thing! I’ll attach it here. The highest point on her basking spot is about 8 inches from the top. And I’m using a probe that’s actually sitting right at her basking spot in the inside. Temp reader is on the outside.

I can definitely tell her beard is darker, but only slightly.

Attachments

• 17018A2A-B785-49CD-BA2E-4954A2594E9B.jpeg
    17018A2A-B785-49CD-BA2E-4954A2594E9B.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 59

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
good deal. right after i responded here i noticed you were talking to karrieree on your duplicate post. she's the one to work with to make sure lighting/temps are all up to par. a beard that is only a little darker isn't necessarily a concern. if it was super black it would be a sign of pain or distress. so that's good.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom