Beardie Baby Acting Strange..Help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soobak23

Hello, I'm new to the boards but I've been referring to this site for all my bearded dragon questions! You guys are wonderful people; I've learned so much here.

So, I'm actually a first-time bearded dragon owner (got Bobo 2 days ago from the local petstore) and I love her to bits already! So much personality in such a tiny body. Right now, she's looking to be about 6.5" from snout to tail.

She was completely fine when I first got her but starting today she's been showing really...strange signs.. It really worries me.. She'll start having random seizures/spasms and gasp for air; she tilts her head up and stares. When she gasps for air it seems like she's choking, and she makes clicking noises(?). Her movements seem really disoriented as well. I've been looking into it and it seems like stargazing(?) but I'm honestly not really sure.. She's lost all appetite and refused to eat all day today... I've seen her do the gasping for air/choking probably..5 or 6 times today. She's been sleeping all night but occasionally she'll wake up and have the spasms... She's pooped today as well, with it looking healthy..

She's currently housed in a 20 gallon, with basking spot temperatures at around 100-105 degrees and cool area at a constant 85 degrees. She has no UVB light at the moment as it's still on its way via shipment (but it should be here soon). I currently have her on small crickets with calcium dusting one meal out of 3. Substrate consists of paper towels.

Please help; I really love Bobo and want to do anything I can to help her;;

Thank you in advance!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of thermometer are you using, a stick on type or a digital probe or temp gun?
The seizures are likely due to calcium issues. Which UVB light did you order for her? That should help a lot & I hope you get it soon.
How often do you use calcium powder on her food, once daily 5 times per week?
Do you have a water dish in her tank also?

Keep her at around 80 in the tank, overnight to help boost the immune system, in the case she may have a respiratory infection, brewing.
The crickets are smaller than the space between her eyes correct?

Tracie

Soobak23

Original Poster
Hello,

Thank you so much for the information! I 'll be sure to keep her at 80 tonight.
I'm using a digital probe thermo and as for the UVB light I've ordered her a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB.

Yes, I've been calcium dusting her food once a meal for 5 days of the week. She does have the water dish in her tank as well, but because of her loss of appetite, I'm scared that she's not getting the calcium she needs.. So, I put some of the calcium in the water and put little drops on her snout to encourage her to drink. (Calcium/Vitamin supplement I'm using is the Repashy T-Rex for Bearded Dragons).

And yes, the crickets are smaller than the space between her eyes.

She's doing better today; no seizures or clicking noises. The only thing that worries me is her disoriented movement and loss of appetite..

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom