Beardie avoiding bask spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amavi

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on my bearded dragon, i'll start with the finer details then go into my query

Viv size: 4ft
Lighting: 10.0 UVB and 2.0 ubv 100% - due change next month
Bask spot: 150w bask spot light - changed yesterday from a 100w bulb
Current temps: No point inputting these as we use a prime micro-climate so here is a screen grab of the vitals:
bask%20info_zpsp0rm5hyq.jpg

So basically what has been going on I used to have his viv set up like this:
IMG_2772_zps8lrk15ha.jpg

where he would continuously sit to the side of a bask spot behind the slate (there was more slate there but it was removed before the pic was taken to encourage him out) there was also a hammock above him as you can see the clips but we took it out. If we removed him from the corner eventually he was go back to the same spot. Spyro isnt digesting his food properly- this is a recent thing- so at first I spoke to guy who works on the reptile section at my work and he said reduce the worms down and see if that helps so we put him down to 30 worms and still around 3 or 4 worms will come out undigested so we think now this is a basking issue; he is digesting his veggies. He is offered veggies every day - rocket, cabbage and pak cho and given calcium worms as main diet, we have now begun to introduce small locusts and roaches into his diet. We weigh him regularly and he has not lost any weight and is currently at 340g. Even after the viv change around he is avoiding the bask spot once again

12511254_10153814694873544_534123841_o_zps1s0lqcur.jpg

you can see on this photo of the new set up hes found a spot to avoid the bask again but keep warm. I feel a little at loss now as I really don't know what else to do, I am going to change it around again so the part hes sitting on now is underneath the spot and see if he will sit on it then. He used to be so active and dig around his viv, he then went through a full body shed and since then avoided basking. I don't think he needs the vet as he is still alert and eating very well but there must be something going on thats stopping him bask?

Any advice is appreciated

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a VERY nice setup. Your temperatures sound good and I love that you're able to make adjustments to it throughout the day. Perhaps he's regulating UVB exposure or just prefers a cooler spot for the time being. It's a good sign that he's alert and his appetite is up. He's still doing SOME basking rather than sitting in the shade which tells me he isn't avoiding light completely rather he's just taking a bit less heat exposure. I don't see anything glaringly wrong so I'd just continue to watch him for now, offer variety, and let him take what he needs.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Do you have an IR temp gun to check the consistency of the basking spot? Some lamps can cause small hotspots which could be even more dramatic on dark surfaces. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

Also, an gun would be good to make sure your temps are accurate - thermostats/controllers are great but don't replace thermometers and probes can be less accurate regarding surface temperatures.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wanted to mention that it's not uncommon for the calci worms to pass through undigested or alive, has nothing to do with the temps. in the tank. Large dragons especially don't usually bother chewing such small worms....you might want to expand his diet with silk + hornworms if you are sticking with worms only.

Amavi

Original Poster
AHBD":1gh2ppeh said:
Just wanted to mention that it's not uncommon for the calci worms to pass through undigested or alive, has nothing to do with the temps. in the tank. Large dragons especially don't usually bother chewing such small worms....you might want to expand his diet with silk + hornworms if you are sticking with worms only.

Thank you so much for your reply it's good to know it's not uncommon about the worms. We can't get hornworms in the UK, as I said in previous post we have introduced locust and roaches into his diet now so will see on the next time he goes to the toilet :)!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If your beardie is still refusing to use the basking spot , my Rex and Puff did the same when I upgraded them to new full sized penthouses , I initially set up my basking spot to be 45oC, and they would not got there, I lowered the basking spot temperature to 40oC and they loved it.

I suspect you may have the same issue - simply, every beardie is different and has their own unique preferred temperature range , you beardie is telling you it's too hot there.

Bear in mind that radiant heat is transferred over distance as 1/x^2 relationship from the irradiating source (spotty or MVB bottom surface) ,so if your non- contact thermometer or probe tells you the spot's surface is 45oC, the beardie will sense a higher temperature depending on how high it's head and body off the surface you measured. (My work find for a tiny hatchling , but a full grown beardie can have his head 6- 8 inches off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleyna
Top Bottom