Beardie Attacked Tail - healing or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfynix

Hello,
We rescued Ares after he had been attacked by his brother whom his previous owner had kept with him in a small enclosure. We brought him to the vet and the vet said his tail didn't look terrible but was darker at the tip and may end up falling off. We instantly started treating him with a solution of water and betadyn as well as polysporin (no anti-pain) to see if we could save his tail.

It has now been about 3 weeks and I can't tell if he's going into a shed or if it's getting worse. The bottom of his tail is definitely less dark!! It looks like the dark disappeared in the tail which we took for a good sign! But lately there's a white color that's formed around the injured areas of his tail and some black as well.

The tail has full movement and he doesn't seem to find it painful at all (we can touch and Stroke pretty firmly the area without it seeming to bother him at all).

Any tips? I apologize that the photos are so glossy as I didn't think to take the photo until after the polysporin was added on.

Could he just be about to go into a shed of those areas? Or is this a clear sign that it's gotten worse?

Thank you!
Catherine

IMG_20220331_215323.jpg
IMG_20220331_215319.jpg
IMG_20220331_215311.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The ointment does make it hard to tell what the damage is. You're probably doing the best thing for it at this point and kept it from getting worse. Post a pic when there is nothing on the tail.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the ointment does make it look shiny. It is possible that there was some infection but
hopefully you have gotten it stopped. Bites & injuries on tails can definitely be tricky & a lot of
times do become infected.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

wolfynix

Original Poster
The ointment does make it hard to tell what the damage is. You're probably doing the best thing for it at this point and kept it from getting worse. Post a pic when there is nothing on the tail.
I took some more photos this morning after the betadyn/water soak. I can't tell if it's getting worse or if it's gonna shed and slowly get better... It's been 3 weeks of doing the treatment.

Attachments

• IMG_20220402_090453.jpg
    IMG_20220402_090453.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 71

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hello,

His tail does not look really dark. It looks like a bite or a deep scrape. I would keep putting on the treatment and see how that goes on the white parts.

wolfynix

Original Poster
Hello,

His tail does not look really dark. It looks like a bite or a deep scrape. I would keep putting on the treatment and see how that goes on the white parts.
Yeah when we first got him, his tail was pretty dark from the top injury to the tip. We were really worried. Now it looks soooo much lighter which is amazing! But those patches of white and black worry me as those weren't there before. So I don't know if it's just part of the healing process or if I should be worried...

wolfynix

Original Poster
@AHBD I'd love to hear your thoughts on that last photo if possible :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks like it could go either way , not sure if it's forming scar tissue but it might be in those white areas if that's not actual pus. Keep up the treatment but be sure to see a vet if it seems like it's infected and is exuding pus from any wounds.

wolfynix

Original Poster
@AHBD Thank you for your thoughts. I just bought some Manuka Honey after seeing so many advocate for it both here and elsewhere. We may try that instead of the polysporin and see if it make a difference for the next week or so.

Thanks again!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! Raw unpasteurized honey is great, even local honey if you have access to it such as from a beekeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom