Beardie Attack *HELP*

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that dont know i have to beardies one slash (about 6 month old) female. And storm (maybe 7-8 months old) female. I got storm maybe 2 months after having slash. A month ago i noticed slash bening stressed. They share a 50 gal tank. So i tired to see if storm was bothering her by spliting the tank in half that way they would not see eachother. she was still stressed, i checked lighting, subtrate, UVB, change food many times but she always stayed stressed. after about 3 week i let them be together again, all signs of stress went away! Now storm is such a good girl (i can give her to my 2 year old niece without storm running or freaking out) which is why am shocked for what am about to say. last night as i turned off their lights slash was going under her log and storm ran and attacked her biting her neck, slash ran away, she did it again. By that time i had reopened the cage to push away storm. i watched them and turn thier light on and they both acted light nothing happened. after 10 mintues i turn off the light again. And storm attacked again. i then seperated them in the tank. They cant see eachother or come in contact.

I know beardies arent social creature but they have been fine til last night everything has been good. what could cause this? :(

Only other thing i think of is that my brother has a 2ft iguana (Buster) that his cage is next to my beardies tank. My brother once held buster against the tank near storm and she puffed up and looked like in a denfense mode. could other reptiles have effect on them? Buster is very aggessive when we take him out of his cage due to his previous owners.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
You have a couple things going on at once.
1st is the easy one.
If they can see the iguana they that will be 1 source of stress.
Now the harder part.
You are seeing dominace/breeding behavior.
The dragons are getting older and hormones are kicking in.
Even female dragons will establish a pecking order.
I would recomend seperation again and moving them so the iguana is out of site.

Now just going on a limb here is there any chance 1 is a male? Even I have sexed wrong at times so it isnt a big deal.

Chevyrockstar

Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":489f1 said:
You have a couple things going on at once.
1st is the easy one.
If they can see the iguana they that will be 1 source of stress.
Now the harder part.
You are seeing dominace/breeding behavior.
The dragons are getting older and hormones are kicking in.
Even female dragons will establish a pecking order.
I would recomend seperation again and moving them so the iguana is out of site.

Now just going on a limb here is there any chance 1 is a male? Even I have sexed wrong at times so it isnt a big deal.
I will place something so they cant see buster. i know male bite necks before they breed but am 100% sure storm is a girl.

I use to think slash was a boy (hence the name slash) am like 90% sure he is a girl. i still refer to her as a he as i wanted a boy lol.

sidenote Storm is 13.25" nose to tail tip. she is a hypo marketed leuctic (spelling)

Slash is 11.75" nose to tail tip. he a normal x sandfire

yateja2

Hi! I would add that when you seperate/divide the tank you have to be sure that each dragon still has the proper temp gradient on his/her side. It's interesting to me to read about how 2 dragons get along because I would reeeally love to get a 2nd! Just got our first on 1/9! Best wishes!

Chevyrockstar

Original Poster
whenthe tank is spilt as it is now temps are good for both. I put them together only when am home watching them and they get along fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom