Beardie ate plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was giving Vladimir his "juice", Pet Authority's Acidophiluz+. I started him on it way back when he had to be on antibiotics when he had a case of parasites and I give it to him now just as a supplement and he loves it. Anyway, he loves it a little too much, he just bit off the edge of the plastic dropper and swallowed it!!! It's a small piece, I guess I should be glad it wasn't a glass one. I didn't post in the "ER" section because he isn't in any distress and I think he should be able to pass it OK, it's smaller than the food he eats, but is there something I should feed him to help him pass it, or anything I should watch for?

kFitz

Hatchling Member
How big is Vladimir? If it was just a tiny piece and he's over 16" he should be fine. Just watch him for any behavior changes like lethargy and his pooping schedule. You could try giving him canned pumpkin, olive oil, or some mineral oil. These will help move things through - just some lubrication. If you notice him acting funny, I would take him to the vet.

imderanged

Original Poster
He's a little over 18 inches, he's a 2 1/2 year old male. It was just the very tip of a plastic eye dropper, a very little piece, smaller than I cut up his food, or the size of the bugs he eats. I think he should be able to pass it, but he hasn't pooped yet (it's not out of the ordinary, he doesn't poop every day). He seems to be acting normally, he's eating and acting alert, the only thing is both last night and tonight I found him in his tank with a black beard but it's not completely out of the ordinary for him to black beard for no apparent reason. When I pick him up and hold him he calms down. I tried to give him a little pumpkin last night but he wasn't in the mood (he's eating, he just decided he didn't want THAT, he's kind of spoiled, lol) I'll try again & I'll add a little olive oil to it per your suggestion, thanks :)

imderanged

Original Poster
Ok. After a lot of pumpkin, a little olive oil, a few warm baths and belly rubs, Vlad had a MASSIVE poo. I can be a bit obsessive about my pets so I made the decision to check the poo (ugh I thought I was going to be sick) but didn't find it. It was a small piece of clear plastic so I very well might have missed it. Do I need to keep looking for it, or is it not a problem as long as he is obviously not blocked?

kFitz

Hatchling Member
I'd say it's not a problem since he pooped. Just make sure he keeps pooping normally. If they can pass undigested phoenix worms, I'm sure the plastic is no problem. It being so small, you probably just missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom