Beardie ate Lightning bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It has been three (four weeks counting when she was hosptialized) weeks and Lola has not eaten anything yet. I was wondering about the bee pollen.. would this mess up her medications in any way? Good news! I think I see new scales where her wound is, it looks a lot better!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your trooper doing now?
The bee pollen wont mess up any medications at all so it is safe to give at any time, for him.
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's doing a lot better. She keeps her head up for longer periods of time. I'm going to get some bee pollen this afternoon.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I called the vet and asked about her not eating and they said to try opening her mouth and putting a small piece of leaf in there. I'm not sure why I didn't think about doing this. :roll: so she munched a couple small pieces of collard greens! Although I did see one sitting at the back of her throat.... I just fed her so I'll wait a couple hours and see if it is still hanging out back there.

mellu

Juvie Member
lol, you're lucky, Mika has been denying her salad lately(she's now on a diet of tough love with ONLY salad available) if I put some in her mouth, she does the beardie equivalent of "Plehpleh" with her tongue until it falls out of her mouth. BRAT! lol

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
sk1tzo":30eeexot said:
So I called the vet and asked about her not eating and they said to try opening her mouth and putting a small piece of leaf in there. I'm not sure why I didn't think about doing this. :roll: so she munched a couple small pieces of collard greens! Although I did see one sitting at the back of her throat.... I just fed her so I'll wait a couple hours and see if it is still hanging out back there.

Did she swallow the piece of collard green yet? Guess it is still hard for her to swallow something if she does not want it! Hope she is OK with that...
Sherri

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Haha, before she was sick she would eat her greens willingly. I checked her throat and everything went down do I have been giving her a few small pieces of greens thorughout the past two day. I ordered some more hornworms because all of the ones had gotten too big. Do you think if there are very small ones in there should I attempt to put a small worm in her mouth?

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
It has been quite some time so, personally, I would try it with a super skinny one. That is just me, however.
I know that Tracie and Diane will give *experienced* advice, however.:D

Has she *ever* eaten silkworms? If not, I would definately try some of the small ones of those as well...they have such medicinal value to them I would think they would be such a great worm for her. I am sorry I don't remember if you tried them!
I have been reading your thread from day one so there are things I have forgotten LOL (senior moments!)

I would only be careful that she truly will be willing to take it, chew it and swallow it. I would worry about aspiration.

My vet talked with me quite a bit about food getting into their lungs, so forcing it in her condition...I would ask Diane and Tracie and your vet about the risks.

All that being said, if they say the risk is very very low, then yep, I would want her to remember what *her* real food actually tastes and feels like asap.

I would go with the skinny ones though. lol

Also, did you know that you can take hornworms OUT of their container... tear newspaper into strips, put the newspaper and the worms into a paper sack and REFRIGERATE them? Stops them from eating of course, therefore stops them from growing :D

That way you can either keep them close to a certain size, or stop their growth for a while and then put them back into their food when you are ready for them to grow again. I order 4 cups at a time now b/c they are cheaper the more you order of course and in doing this I have them around without having to toss any b/c they got to HUGE. LOL

Sherri

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm still not sure if I should attempt to put one in her mouth. I have not tried silkworms because I'm afraid of the whole thing where they need to be bacteria free, I'm afraid I would kill them all!

LOL, I actually tried putting them in the fridge but then I felt like I was doing something wrong so I put them over the AC vent and they all pretty much died after a couple weeks, but I didn't know about the paper bag thing and then putting them in the fridge! Thanks so much! They should be here in the next couple days. How long can they be stored in the fridge?

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
With horns I wait till they are an inch before putting in fridge (I buy the smallest ones) I do 2 days in 2 days out to feed them only lost a few over aprox 10 cups I have ordered

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, I agree, I would not put the super tiny ones in the refrigerator...I wait until they are larger as well. I order 4 cups at a time for one beardie, so I keep 3 in the wine cooler however until they start getting large enough for the fridge, seems to slow them a bit but not completely :)

Sherri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom