Beardie and Parrot kept in the same room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniferr

Hi everyone, bit of a random question, I have my bearded dragon in my bedroom and he loves it here. As a student I spend so much time in my room it's where he gets to see me most, plus he basically has run of the room whenever he fancys ?
But I am now looking into buying a parrot. We have one already downstairs so ideally I would like to keep the new one upstairs as I know the parrots in the same room will stress eachother out, atleast initially anyway and I don't think it's worth it to be honest. When I bring My bearded dragon downstairs my current parrot never seems to bother him. Would it be a terrible idea to keep the parrot and bearded dragon in the same room. They would be almost opposite eachother on other sides of my room, though my bearded dragon would be able to see him. It's the only way I can figure it out at th moment without fully reorganising my room, which I am willing to do ofcourse if you guys think it won't work out.
We live near the seaside so seagulls are constantly squawking and my beardie never seems bothered by it.

Thanks for your help :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sure the general consensus is if you can avoid having them in the same room, do so, but honestly if it doesn't cause the dragon stress, I don't see it being too big of an issue unless you let the parrot fly around the room, which would likely trigger a fear response.

There are many warnings about cats and dragons in the same room due to cats killer instincts or stressing the dragon, and both my dragons are in the living room where the cat has free access. Luckily my cat is docile, and the dragons know this, so seeing her doesn't trigger fear.

I'd watch the body language of the dragon if you do decide to get a parrot, and if he shows stress, I'd recommend finding a new room for the parrot

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jenniferr":2wiimcuc said:
Hi everyone, bit of a random question, I have my bearded dragon in my bedroom and he loves it here. As a student I spend so much time in my room it's where he gets to see me most, plus he basically has run of the room whenever he fancys ?
But I am now looking into buying a parrot. We have one already downstairs so ideally I would like to keep the new one upstairs as I know the parrots in the same room will stress eachother out, atleast initially anyway and I don't think it's worth it to be honest. When I bring My bearded dragon downstairs my current parrot never seems to bother him. Would it be a terrible idea to keep the parrot and bearded dragon in the same room. They would be almost opposite eachother on other sides of my room, though my bearded dragon would be able to see him. It's the only way I can figure it out at th moment without fully reorganising my room, which I am willing to do ofcourse if you guys think it won't work out.

<<<< parrots and bearded dragons are common sights in the bush and the outback her in Australia, I appreciate most people who are on this board have never been to Australia, and even fewer have visited the natural range of central bearded dragons.
Parrots (large and small) and bearded dragons are synonymous with the most frequent impressions / memories visitors to the outback (most of Australia) see
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=parrots+of+australia&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj3rZfhmODTAhXDVbwKHY66BToQsAQINw&biw=1607&bih=973#spf=1
and it is very common to see flocks of parrots drinking water, walking about foraging, socializing , playing, getting up to mischief, and flying overhead
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=parrots+of+australia&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj3rZfhmODTAhXDVbwKHY66BToQsAQINw&biw=1607&bih=973#tbm=isch&q=flocks+of+parrots+of+australia&spf=220
In the wild , bearded dragons frequently encounter these often noisy birds.

I think your beardie and the parrot will get along just fine. I know several people who have pet parrots who go walkabout inside the house the same time as their pet lizard (beardie, BTS, or shingleback skink).

Australia has the been referred to by many as The Land of Parrots.
We live near the seaside so seagulls are constantly squawking and my beardie never seems bothered by it.

Thanks for your help :)

Jenniferr

Original Poster
Thankyou both for your help, I brought my beardie downstairs to properly see my parrot today, they were both very intrigued but neither seemed stressed or bothered by the other, very pleased with Albus my brave little man ?❤

TWINKLET4

Parrots love being in the same room as other parrots. It makes them feel safer, and infinitely happier, and as long as they are not in the same cage, will absolutely not stress each other out. They love being in, and thrive in the company of other birds. An only bird is a lonely bird, end of story. Put there cages close together, you will have two much, MUCH happier birds. They are incredibly, incredibly sociable creatures, and it is tragic, heart breaking and unnatural for them to be alone, and psychological problems, like self mutilation, depression and screaming, more often than not come about as a result.
This is a really great forum if you haven't come across it, with extremely helpful and knowledgeable members. I have six birds and it has been an God send. Pajarita and Wolf on there are just unbelievable. Okay for some reason I think the site is down, but this is another great forum for parrots.
https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php

It sounds like you have a lovely little animal family there, I wish you many happy years with them ???

TWINKLET4

The other forum I tried to recommend is the parrot forum.com - i can't get a link to it as it seems to be down at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom