Beardie acting odd after cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestette

3 days ago the weather became cold literally over night. I woke up with a cold, and I noticed my beardie wasn't looking too good either. 2 days had passed and she hadn't moved from the same spot, and she was sleeping practically all day. I brought home crickets and they sat in the tank all day until last night when she ate them while I was asleep. Another thing that has me worried is her ears look kind of irritated. Is it normal for little white specs to be in her ear? I'd take a picture but I cannot locate my camera at the moment. She doesn't seem to be having any breathing problems, her last bowel movement was runny, and she hasn't been as active as usual. Anything I should be extremely concerned about? She seems to be doing better today.

Jestette

Original Poster
I'm honestly not sure, she was a rescue. The lady I got her from said she was 2, but she was very small for 2.

It is completely and absolutley fine! It's a natural reaction to cold weather called Brumation. It's kinda like extreme hibernation, but for reptiles. They will sleep 80% of the day, often digging under the mat or whatever you have in there. Their breathing slows down dramatically and they could appear perky and active for the time they are awake.

I totally freaked when my beardie did this at the first winter. I may have done more harm then good by worrying, for both of us.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I am not 100% sure all is fine...
Jestette":ass5x8sv said:
her last bowel movement was runny
If the dragon is a rescue and the dragon is going into brumation then you would want this checked out.
It is best to have a dragon (especially a rescue) checked for parasites before possible brumation.
Not saying that parasites are the root cause for the runny feces but, there is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom