Bearded sleeping a TON

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon is acting a bit weird lately. Although he’s usually really active, he’s been sleeping in his hide all the time lately! He will always come out for food and water and his appetite hasn’t changed at all. He stays out for maybe an hour after eating and then he just goes to sleep in his hide until the next day when he eats. He has no constipation, stress marks, or any obvious illness. Does anybody know anything I should do or if I should take him to a vet? Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So when hes out is he basking under the uvb and heat lamp for the one hour hes out? What kind of lighting do you have for your tank?
Karrie

beardieburrito20

Original Poster
I have Zoo med dome lights and a long UV light that I think is also zoo med. Most of the time he’ll go under the light when he’s out, but other times he’ll just lay on top of his hide on the cool side of the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so can you post pics of your tank and lighting--- there might be a lighting issue here
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go to top banner click on user image uploader-- down load pics-- go to reply click on XIMG at top of message box-- pics should post - wait for page to refresh and see if your pics posted
Karrie

beardieburrito20

Original Poster
101823-4913580506.jpg
101823-951300725.jpg
101823-9811506820.jpg

Did I do it right?
Right now my bearded is poking his head out awake but he won’t come out. He usually only comes out to eat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What kind of UVB is it a Reptisun T 8 ? look on the bulb it will say what it is ---if its not a Reptisun I would recommend changing it over to that bulb --the UVB should be inside your tank approx 8-10 inches from basking -- the screen mesh is blocking those rays--- and the substrate what is it you have in there-- loose substrate can cause impaction - I would recommend changing it out - what size tank do you have him in? If you plan to upgrade your tank I would look at getting either a 75 gallon or 120 gallon tank and change your substrate out to either ceramic slated tile or non adhesive shelf liner w / some texture - both can be purchased from Home Depot cheap and its so easy to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle-- -- but my guess is the UVB is causing his behavior at this point--
Karrie

beardieburrito20

Original Poster
I have a reptisun 10.0 UVB and I will look into getting that new one. The substrate was recommended by the place I got my dragon and they use it and say it’s great so I don’t think that’s the problem. (Don’t worry the place isn’t a chain pet store) Now, for the time being should I keep the UVB bulb off or keep it on while the new one ships?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep the one you have that is a good one -- is it a T 8 or T 5? The T 5 is a stronger bulb and has a flat fixture+- the T 8 is a regular fixture and both should go inside the tank -- the T5 approx 10-11 inches from basking spot the T 8 8-10 inches
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
3m makes hooks-- plastic zip ties-- picture wire hanger--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the temperatures in your tank and how are you measuring them?

That hammock looks slightly hard to get to does your dragon get up there ok? It looks to be the closest spot to the heat bulb.

The t5 is strong enough that it's ok outside of the tank. Especially since you have a reflector on it. It would be way to close to that hammock (which I assume is the basking spot) if you were to place it inside.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom