bearded eye closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive had my bearded dragon for about a month and a half his left eye stays closed all the time! Ive broughten him back in and the lady at the pet store says he is fine and healthy but dose not know whats wrong? He eats fine and uses his one eye very well! last night i took a warm rag and rubded of the crust he opened it for a little bit but then it started to look watery and gooped back up now its closed again! during righting this i went to the pet store and bought terramycin in and he has had it open for a little while again any suggestions? he has a slim line retile fixture with 7 percent uvb and 100 watts basking light bulb!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like the problem is the uvb bulb you have. You need to replace the uvb with a reptisun 10 tube uvb. Get the reptisun 10 tube from: http://www.petmountain.com They have a 10% off sale if you use the word "holiday". I suggest turning off the uvb you have now until you get the reptisun 10. This will give his eyes a chance to heal.

What are you using to check your temps? You need either a temp gun or a digital thermometer with probe. I use the accurite digital with probe that you can get at Walmart for $12.

NondoMateo

Original Poster
i check the temp with high range thermometer at the basking side its 110 to 115 and the other around 80s!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
The thermometer you have has been known to be as much as 20 degrees off either way. I suggest getting the accurite with probe that I mentioned earlier. Go into walmart and ask someone where they keep it. I had to and found them with the ceiling fans.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...If that thermometer is a stick on, it is not accurate. They can be as much as 20 degrees off. When you get the digital with a probe, keep the probe on his basking spot 45 minutes for an accurate reading.

I agree that the cause is probably from your incorrect UVB. Do replace it ASAP with the ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent tube (NOT ReptiGlo).

Are you dusting his food with calcium and with vitamins? How often?
Are you soaking him daily for 20 minutes?

Good luck
Patsy

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You've rec'd some great suggestions. One thing I wanted to mention is if you are using sand or another loose substrate he could have gotten some in his eye which could cause irritation and/or infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom