Bearded dragons with floppy toes (Underweight?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdg0219

I have two bearded dragons that I purchased in February 2011. They were 14 and 15 inches long at the time, and seemed to be in good health. Within the past six months I've started to notice extreme flexibility in their wrists and fingers and twitching that has varied from slight in the extremities to full body muscle spasms. I naturally suspected this was MBD. I took one to the vet, and we found out that he had normal calcium levels in his blood and didn't have any other signs, such as lethargy or weak jaw. Since then, I have given them calcium with D3 about 4 times a week. After feeding them about 20 heavily powdered crickets one night, I noticed the next day that there was an extreme amount of twitching in one of my dragons. I looked up D3 toxicity, and found conflicting information on this. I have stopped giving them the calcium with D3, as they have adequate UVB. Temperatures range from 100-105 on the hot side to 80-85 on the cool side.

So my question is, have any of you heard of any non-MBD illness that caused this sort of thing, and how do you think I should go about "curing" my dragons?

Also, my dragons seem a bit underweight, though I think I'm feeding them well. Is Repta-Aid a good idea to get them to a healthier weight?

After posting this I bathed both of my dragons. One of them has back toes that are so bendy they seem boneless. The other has almost normal toes. They have been treated identically, so this is very strange and disconcerting.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...What are the temps. , how are you measuring them and what type + brand of UVB + heat bulbs do you have ? Can you post a pic of their set ups ? Listing those things can help with trouble shooting. Toe twitching is almost always low calcium, which may not show up in bloodwork and is the first sign of calcium deficiency without soft jaw + other symptoms. And floppy toes are normal, they are very flexible, but if the "wrists " are turning backwards, that is also a definite sign of calcium deficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom