Bearded Dragons look JUST LIKE Iguanas!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
LOL!!!

I took Mr Dargon to the library again today, and most of the people who stopped to meet him asked if he was an iguana.
The only people who didn't ask that were the children who said "what kind of lizard is that?"
The kids also had a lot of questions, and now i am thinking of asking the library if Mr Dargon can make a weekly appearance to answer questions. now i wish i had other reptiles to show.

Mr Dargon was NOT happy being called an iguana!

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
Children tend to be the wise-est (lol no way I try to spell that looks right). I can imagine the look on their faces when you told them you had a dragon! :)

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I saw on a facebook page about someone taking they're dragon to the nursing home to visit all the elderly there. I think that is an awesome ideal. The library is too.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
I've had a couple people ask me that as well. I can understand not knowing what a bearded dragon is/looks like but come on, they're not even greenish, kind of hard to mistake for an iguana IMO :p

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Actually I heard something worst then that there was this tv show when u were blind folded and u had to touch something and guess what it was and this lady had to touch a bearded dragon well in the corner of the screen it tells u what it is it said iguana it was a innapropirate word deleted by moderator, no swearing, please. tv show

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I, too, can understand people not realizing that dragons are not iguanas. They've heard people keep iguanas for pets & if they see a dragon, figure it's the same type of reptile. My hubby used to take Sweetie to the library & other places while I was at work & some people shivered & some ran away, complaining...only the kids were fascinated by her. We especially were popular at pet shops.

Wouldn't that be nice if Mr Dragon could be a part of the library program for kids? They would be educated on a reptile that is easy to love :D

And I've heard about people taking their dragons into nursing homes, too, they're hypoallergenic, which is great & they're easy to get close to. They don't bite, as alot of dragons are very social. Having 5 dragons of my own I know how social they can be, but my gang don't get off my balcony, they hate the big world out there. When people come over, though, they love the attention, Didi especially. He's bright orange/yellow & people tend to like him. Then there's Rubio, they're always facsinated at how big he is, not as big as an iguana, though!

Brieana

Hatchling Member
It's just kid logic. One word describes a whole type of animal. All primates are monkeys, all spotted cats are cheetahs, you know. Once, in the waiting room at my doctors office, a toddler kept yelling, "Doggy! Doggy" as he looked at the fish tank.
They just need an education. The kids I used to babysit are very snotty about correcting other kids when they call chimps and gorillas "monkeys" and I couldn't be more proud!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Brieana":1wkgw0ew said:
It's just kid logic. One word describes a whole type of animal. All primates are monkeys, all spotted cats are cheetahs, you know. Once, in the waiting room at my doctors office, a toddler kept yelling, "Doggy! Doggy" as he looked at the fish tank.
They just need an education. The kids I used to babysit are very snotty about correcting other kids when they call chimps and gorillas "monkeys" and I couldn't be more proud!
but it's the adults that do it, not the kids

Brieana

Hatchling Member
bunnyrut":1lowfufn said:
Brieana":1lowfufn said:
but it's the adults that do it, not the kids

Oops! I didn't read closely enough. :oops:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I hear that so often that it makes me a little angry at times. They look nothing like an Iguana! :banghead:

I also get asked all the time if my crooked Zak-n-Wheezie are a toad until they see the 2 heads. LOL
(sometimes I could get angry at this but most the time it makes me laugh)

The more we expose the community we live in to beardies the less they will say Iguana in the long run...I'm hoping! :wink:

We take ours everywhere....schools, reptile shows, car shows, outings to the river, mountains, beach...you name it...they love it! :)

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I'm always being asked what kind of lizard Myah is by children. And I love answering all their questions. :D The grown-ups however, tend to refer to her as 'that thing/lizard' They don't seem to want to know :angry5: Then, when I ask the kids to please wash their hand after petting her, the parents look horrified. Like I handed their child nuclear waste! Some won't even let me explain why! :shock: The odd thing about it is that these same parents still let their kids come over to my home to see Myah when she's in the yard :? Sigh... atleast I seem to be getting through to the next generation :wink:

Wow Erica! Thats a lot of animals! I bet you love each and every one of them bunches! I have three dogs and now a beardie and I thought I was pushing the limit. hahaha

Momswims1

Juvie Member
To everyone....How old were your beardies before you started taking them on short outings, like to get worms or something? Mine are 4 and 5 months but they seem to get cold quickly, so I don't take them out except to the backyard to sun. How old should they be for their first short outings?
One of mine is 13 inches and one is 11 inches. Pretty small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom