Bearded Dragons: Do they really make good pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I got bit once and it was my fault. I was trying to feed daisy a banana. I was rubbing it in her face because she wouldn't eat it so I turned my back to her and she grabbed the banana and my finger. It is for sure a shock. And she doesn't like banana rubbed in her face. I better say this happened many months ago.

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
My 8 year old son handles both our beardies and they are just fine. It should be ok just teach them proper handling,which you have done I'm guessing with your snakes. Also I keep my beardies in my bedroom. I have 3 dogs,2 cats and 2 small kids I keep them there to help reduce any stress they could have :)

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
I have a large 125 gallon enclosure so I mounted my reptisun UVB's on the inside of it due to the fact it's 2ft tall so they can get the proper UVB. Iowa installed retractable shades on the front mainly because the UVB's are really bright and I can lower them just enough to block the bright light from our eyes, but I find if useful if I see them getting stressed by what we are doing (cleaning etc) I can lower them down and give them their privacy. Seems to be working out so far :)

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
Also as for being bit,I've never been bit by a beardie and I assume its not really a big deal :) I owned a couple diff monitors and various snakes those bites are defiantly worse....not so much the snakes but the monitors can put a hurting on u lol

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
My boy Elyott will not sleep in him enclosure anymore. He has to sleep with me or he will not sleep. He gets mad at me when i walk bu and don't take him out. They are really the most amazing animals i have ever had. And i can say there will be many more in my future.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
lillylizard":1dxc526d said:
My boy Elyott will not sleep in him enclosure anymore. He has to sleep with me or he will not sleep.
Mine is the same way, he'll only go to sleep if he's in my bed :roll:

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
I had to stay at a friends one night and my mom woke up to a very sleepy, grumpy, and black Elyott. Oh wow was he mad when i got home. Now if i wanna sleep anywhere Elyott has to come too.

BruinsFab

This is such a nice thread to read, and is getting me more and more excited about my future with BD's.

What do you mean when you say he gets "mad" if you walk by without taking him out or if he doesn't sleep with you? I am asking because I have a Blue Tongue Skink who every one said "loves to cuddle" and "loves people", but every time I walk in the room she hides. Once I get her out, she is fine, but she definitely doesn't have any attachment to me or anyone for that matter.

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
What i mean is when i leave him in the take all night he black beards anyone who walks by or looks at him. And if i walk by him he will run to the glass and glass dance and if i ignore him he will go black on his tummy. He wont forgive me till i cuddle. i always get greeted him.

BruinsFab

lillylizard":22ft1o4p said:
What i mean is when i leave him in the take all night he black beards anyone who walks by or looks at him. And if i walk by him he will run to the glass and glass dance and if i ignore him he will go black on his tummy. He wont forgive me till i cuddle. i always get greeted him.

That is amazing ! I am so excited to potentially have that type of interaction :)

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I too have had my beardie since 4 weeks old. She is not an active beardie at all if left in her house. She gets her prettiest "happy colors" when she is out of her house and with me. She would spend all of her day on my shoulder if she could. She is very active when free to roam around the ground but still looks to me for protection. Just today.. we were out on my driveway. She was free on the ground and my husband walked up. She ran to me and ducked under my leg. I am entirely unsure if she is really that attached to me.. or if she just prefers my body heat and knows I am her source of food... either way she does prefer to be with me than in her enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChekeNerton523
Top Bottom