Bearded Dragon Won't stop Glass Walking!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, so my bearded dragon Ren that I have had since a hatchling, about two days ago started to randomly stomp around the tank and smack her nose and claws against the glass and this lasts almost all day. There has been no change in her enclosure or diet in almost the 9 months I have had her. She will also no longer eat her black solider fly worms, and will only eat the Discoid roaches. (Can't use Dubia Roaches as they are illegal in Florida) She is also peeing/pooping more frequently (sometimes she just pees) She used to only poop every other day.

I don't know what to do as I am on wits end. She is so loud! 🙃 Any advice/solutions?

Set-up:

40 Gallon Breeder Tank
Lighting: Reptisun t5 10.0 UVB (Inside tank about 10 inches from basking Hammock)
Heating: Ceramic Heat Fixture with 100 Watt Great Value Wal-mart Halogen Bulb (Soft White)
Flooring: Tile
Temp Measurement: x2 Probes (103-105 Degrees Far. Basking, 78-81 Ambient)

1649011283426.jpg

Her measurement/weight: 18.5 inches and at 305 grams
Diet: Black Solider Fly Worms/Discoid Roaches (I have a colony), and Misc. Greens (Mustard/Turnip/Collared (She hates them lol)
1649011498922.jpg
1649012899337.jpg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone, so my bearded dragon Ren that I have had since a hatchling, about two days ago started to randomly stomp around the tank and smack her nose and claws against the glass and this lasts almost all day. There has been no change in her enclosure or diet in almost the 9 months I have had her. She will also no longer eat her black solider fly worms, and will only eat the Discoid roaches. (Can't use Dubia Roaches as they are illegal in Florida) She is also peeing/pooping more frequently (sometimes she just pees) She used to only poop every other day.

I don't know what to do as I am on wits end. She is so loud! 🙃 Any advice/solutions?

Set-up:

40 Gallon Breeder Tank
Lighting: Reptisun t5 10.0 UVB (Inside tank about 10 inches from basking Hammock)
Heating: Ceramic Heat Fixture with 100 Watt Great Value Wal-mart Halogen Bulb (Light White)
Flooring: Tile
Temp Measurement: x2 Probes (103-105 Degrees Far. Basking, 78-81 Ambient)

View attachment 69173
Her measurement/weight: 18.5 inches and at 305 grams
Diet: Black Solider Fly Worms/Discoid Roaches (I have a colony), and Misc. Greens (Mustard/Turnip/Collared (She hates them lol)
View attachment 69175 View attachment 69178
Please get a piece of decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches - your tank is beautiful -- the causes for glass surfing are tank is too small --- incorrect basking temps along w/ being too hot ---- incorrect UVB -- or the dragon could be gravid--- and spring fever --- after looking at the tank I am thinking its too small - adult dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank --- please get her out for around 2 hours per day and see if the behavior changes --- they like to sit in front of a window and look or take her outside but you need to watch her and I would maybe put her on a leash ---

Silentchops

Original Poster
Please get a piece of decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches - your tank is beautiful -- the causes for glass surfing are tank is too small --- incorrect basking temps along w/ being too hot ---- incorrect UVB -- or the dragon could be gravid--- and spring fever --- after looking at the tank I am thinking its too small - adult dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank --- please get her out for around 2 hours per day and see if the behavior changes --- they like to sit in front of a window and look or take her outside but you need to watch her and I would maybe put her on a leash ---
Its hard to tell but the hammock is within 10-12ish inches away from the UVB. She doesn't really use any of the other decor but the hammock (I honestly need to get new decor that is bigger (But holy smokes is it expensive for plastic lol)

I thought I had more time to get a bigger tank, but after doing a little more research I will have to upgrade (I appreciate the heads up!)

Thank you so much for your help, I will take your advise!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its hard to tell but the hammock is within 10-12ish inches away from the UVB. She doesn't really use any of the other decor but the hammock (I honestly need to get new decor that is bigger (But holy smokes is it expensive for plastic lol)

I thought I had more time to get a bigger tank, but after doing a little more research I will have to upgrade (I appreciate the heads up!)

Thank you so much for your help, I will take your advise!
Check petsmart for decor they are a little spendy but if you get one at a time thats good -- this is great piece for offering different gradient heat -- you can set the piece w/ the long stick part on the floor of the tank w/ the trunk part up so he can lay on it and the stick part he can partly lay on / sitting propped up or stand up against it -- mine use these piece in many different ways

Silentchops

Original Poster
Check petsmart for decor they are a little spendy but if you get one at a time thats good -- this is great piece for offering different gradient heat -- you can set the piece w/ the long stick part on the floor of the tank w/ the trunk part up so he can lay on it and the stick part he can partly lay on / sitting propped up or stand up against it -- mine use these piece in many different ways
Do you have any recommendations on 75 Gallon tanks?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have any recommendations on 75 Gallon tanks?
You can look on FB marketplace for a used tank look for one w / front doors - or craigs list -- or you can look for new tanks but the ones I have for those are 120 gallon tanks - I dont have any new ones for 75- most people opt for the 120 gallon but have found tanks on the FB and Craigslist -- it is up to you and your financial situation -- you might look for 75 on those new tank websites I guess I might have seen some but cant remember--- I have 2 Zen Habitats and the prices have gone up -- I must have gotten mine when they first started out because now they have different styles as far as what they are being made out of and other options like glass doors instead of the acrylic doors and mats for the flooring - they have bamboo sides and flooring so I put slated ceramic tile for substrate in both because the flooring so slippery - I can post the websites for some of these if you like

Silentchops

Original Poster
You can look on FB marketplace for a used tank look for one w / front doors - or craigs list -- or you can look for new tanks but the ones I have for those are 120 gallon tanks - I dont have any new ones for 75- most people opt for the 120 gallon but have found tanks on the FB and Craigslist -- it is up to you and your financial situation -- you might look for 75 on those new tank websites I guess I might have seen some but cant remember--- I have 2 Zen Habitats and the prices have gone up -- I must have gotten mine when they first started out because now they have different styles as far as what they are being made out of and other options like glass doors instead of the acrylic doors and mats for the flooring - they have bamboo sides and flooring so I put slated ceramic tile for substrate in both because the flooring so slippery - I can post the websites for some of these if you like
That would be great if you could? What length/height should I look for? I know I need a long tank vs height? Also what do I do about the UVB Fixture? The one I currently have is 22" I am going to opt for the 120 Gallon tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That would be great if you could? What length/height should I look for? I know I need a long tank vs height? Also what do I do about the UVB Fixture? The one I currently have is 22" I am going to opt for the 120 Gallon tank.
Is the 22" a T 8? If so you will need to upgrade -- I am thinking that it is-- you can go for a 24" either a Zoom Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb -- the 120 gallon is a 4x2x2 tank
Here is a pic of mine I will post the website and some others as well
www.zenhabitats.com they pay shipping --
CRITTER CONDO - 48"X24"X24" with T5HO LIGHTING. TWO COLORS AVAILABLE. I have not heard anything about these tanks I dont know if anyone on this forum has ordered from here
Main - Carolina Designer Dragons I do not like the UVB set up they have attached the basking light to the fixture so if the temps are off you cant adjust the fixture when its attached -- I have heard one complaint about this
(no title) dont know anything about this company and I dont know if anyone who has ordered on this forum
T12- 48W X 24D X 24H everything is going to haft to be mounted inside as their is no screen --- dont know what kind of doors I am assuming acrylic and they dont pay shipping --
You dont want anything less than 18" high --
this is my tank -- they are taking payments now -- the screen on top is stainless so basking lights can go on top - the two bars running down the middle of the tank is perfect for the UVB to attach - here is a pic of my tank so you can see what it looks like set up PVC Reptile Enclosure 4'x2'x2' | Zen Habitats

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 88

Silentchops

Original Poster
Is the 22" a T 8? If so you will need to upgrade -- I am thinking that it is-- you can go for a 24" either a Zoom Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb -- the 120 gallon is a 4x2x2 tank
Here is a pic of mine I will post the website and some others as well
www.zenhabitats.com they pay shipping --
CRITTER CONDO - 48"X24"X24" with T5HO LIGHTING. TWO COLORS AVAILABLE. I have not heard anything about these tanks I dont know if anyone on this forum has ordered from here
Main - Carolina Designer Dragons I do not like the UVB set up they have attached the basking light to the fixture so if the temps are off you cant adjust the fixture when its attached -- I have heard one complaint about this
(no title) dont know anything about this company and I dont know if anyone who has ordered on this forum
T12- 48W X 24D X 24H everything is going to haft to be mounted inside as their is no screen --- dont know what kind of doors I am assuming acrylic and they dont pay shipping --
You dont want anything less than 18" high --
this is my tank -- they are taking payments now -- the screen on top is stainless so basking lights can go on top - the two bars running down the middle of the tank is perfect for the UVB to attach - here is a pic of my tank so you can see what it looks like set up PVC Reptile Enclosure 4'x2'x2' | Zen Habitats
I ended up buying the Meridian PVC Panel Reptile Enclosure 4'x2'x2' | Zen Habitats. It should be here within 3-5 days. I really appreciate your help!

Right now I am using the Reptisun t5 HO 24" Hood with a Reptisun t5 HO 22" Bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Silentchops

Original Poster
Good that will go right into the tank -- distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- make sure the uvb bulb is not over a year old- I recommend changing them out about a month prior to install of last one-
Hey! My tank arrived today and I’ve just finished decorating

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey! My tank arrived today and I’ve just finished decorating
Tank looks great -- I do recommend getting the uvb lowered to 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor- the log in the middle is great for basking temp gradient heat temps-- I use that same piece under my basking bulb-- I also recommend getting a substrate like either slated ceramic tile or textured NON adhesive shelf liner+ the floor is too slippery plus it will protect the flooring- and I recommend two digital probe thermometers- you want surface basking temps-

Silentchops

Original Poster
Tank looks great -- I do recommend getting the uvb lowered to 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor- the log in the middle is great for basking temp gradient heat temps-- I use that same piece under my basking bulb-- I also recommend getting a substrate like either slated ceramic tile or textured NON adhesive shelf liner+ the floor is too slippery plus it will protect the flooring- and I recommend two digital probe thermometers- you want surface basking temps-
I do have two currently. I’m using one for ambient temps on the left side of the tank, and one on the corner hide. The one directly under the basking spot is reading 103 degrees, with the ambient temp on the left probe reading 80

Silentchops

Original Poster
I do have two currently. I’m using one for ambient temps on the left side of the tank, and one on the corner hide. The one directly under the basking spot is reading 103 degrees, with the ambient temp on the left probe reading 80
It’s hard to tell because of the angle but I re adjusted her UVB so it’s going over her along with the basking spot, the measurement between the basking spot and the UVB is 13 inches from the bulb. Should this be okay? It was the only way I could get it without the heat lamp going directly over the UVB. Sorry for all the questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s hard to tell because of the angle but I re adjusted her UVB so it’s going over her along with the basking spot, the measurement between the basking spot and the UVB is 13 inches from the bulb. Should this be okay? It was the only way I could get it without the he heat lamp going directly over the UVB. Sorry for all the questions.
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom