Bearded dragon wont grow?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I recently bought a baby dragon from petsmart because it looked very skinny (and sad lol) about two months ago. I believe he is a male. He’s was so tiny when we got him and hasn’t seem to have grown at all he is currently around 7 inches and was around six when we got him. He fits perfectly on my finger and I have little hands. Almost hatchling size. I will be happy to take any advice or answer any questions anyone may have tia!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, at least he's grown a little bit so you're at least doing something right :) but a few very important questions for you :

What exact type + brand of lights do you have, be specific ? And what exactly is he eating [ size of bugs, type of bugs, how often ] And what are the temps. in the tank throughout ?

Pictures of the baby as well as the entire set up showing the light placement will also help . Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Dragonmamiof4

Original Poster
AHBD":fdtifhr4 said:
Hi there, at least he's grown a little bit so you're at least doing something right :) but a few very important questions for you :

What exact type + brand of lights do you have, be specific ? And what exactly is he eating [ size of bugs, type of bugs, how often ] And what are the temps. in the tank throughout ?

Pictures of the baby as well as the entire set up showing the light placement will also help . Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
He has a reptisun 10.0 t5 ho 24w that is brand new, his temps in the cage are 104 on the basking spot which is a 60 watt hallogen, because ive noticed he doesn’t like it as hot, 81 throughout the cage. He eats my newborn dubias that i breed and they are around xs and about 14 every feeding, he eats twice a day because thats all he will willing take :) he gets multivitamin on wens-day,calcium with d3 on Tuesday and Thursday and calcium with no d3 monday and friday, i only dust one feeding a day with whatever supplements is needed on that day. He also likes turnips and mustards (he only eats dubias for a bug choice)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Everything sounds good. He probably is just off to a slow start. He may have been sold too young + even have been a runt. It's fine + pretty common for a tiny pet store baby to take a bit longer to take off growth=wise.

If you don't already, offer a bit of water dripped or gently sprayed on his snout as a drink. Some babies can be a bit dehydrated going from a very young age to the store + then going to a new home.

Dragonmamiof4

Original Poster
AHBD":3kajulxq said:
Everything sounds good. He probably is just off to a slow start. He may have been sold too young + even have been a runt. It's fine + pretty common for a tiny pet store baby to take a bit longer to take off growth=wise.

If you don't already, offer a bit of water dripped or gently sprayed on his snout as a drink. Some babies can be a bit dehydrated going from a very young age to the store + then going to a new home.
Someone also suggested it could be parasites? From what ive read dubias cant carry them? He’s never had crickets :(
Thanks for the reply :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just be patient, he'll grow at his own pace. Once he's bit bigger you can test for parasites but it's not good to treat [ mrdicate ] a small baby as long as he's eating + growing.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
If he’s eating regularly and having normal bowel movements then parasites probably aren’t an issue. But if his bowel movements do become very runny/liquidy and have a clear-the-room stench, then I’d definitely suggest having a vet that specializes in herps run a fecal test. Your husbandry sounds really good (dubias are an excellent protein source). Because he has grown a little since you’ve brought him home, genetically he just might be a smaller-sized dragon/runt. And then again some of them have late growth spurts. I like to measure my baby beardies as they grow (usually once a month), as it’s fun to chart their progress. If you do tip to tail measurements once a month and find that the growth has halted for a significant period, then you can determine if a vet visit or a reexamination of his setup is in order. You’re doing a good job and under your care I’m sure he’ll reach his full potential. And side note: my favorite beardie was the runt of her clutch. ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom