Bearded dragon won't go to the toilet in his viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time he needs to go he'll glass dance and want to come out, if we just leave him he won't go but when we do get him out, he'll go to the toilet anywhere he can! I have no idea why he's doing this or how to stop it, just wondering if any one else has had this. I've put paper towels in the to see if I can get him to go on there, so fingers crossed that'll work.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
A lot of dragons are like this, both of mine are. They will wait till I take them out and hold them over the toilet to go :roll: Dragons do not like to poop in their living space, and at least what I see with mine is that if they do have to go in their viv they will,literally sit on the opposite side to avoid it until I clean it out. What I suggest is when you take your dragon out, put them in a warm bath so they can go to the bathroom :D this way you can just dump the water and there'll be no mess

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I agree wholeheartedly with the previous poster. You might consider establishing a certain time of day when your beardie has the chance to poo. That way he kind of knows what the schedule is. Mine like to poo after eating, but every dragon is different.

Dragonborn

Original Poster
I have two other dragons who don't do it, so it's a mystery! He was never like that before, it's only recently come about. He won't go in the bath either, we've tried that. We left him in the tank all day today and he went, obviously he wasn't happy about it, black bearding and everything! I can't believe you have to hold them over the toilet, your beardies really do live the life of luxury :)

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Dragonborn":1i8tefhh said:
I have two other dragons who don't do it, so it's a mystery! He was never like that before, it's only recently come about. He won't go in the bath either, we've tried that. We left him in the tank all day today and he went, obviously he wasn't happy about it, black bearding and everything! I can't believe you have to hold them over the toilet, your beardies really do live the life of luxury :)
Well it's easier for me since there's never a mess to clean! Maybe you can try taking your beardie out and keeping him on a paper towel till he goes?

Dragonborn

Original Poster
I tried it, he just keeps running off. I'm just going to leave him in the viv until he goes, so he is now banned from the house until he learns his lesson :p

Nova1014

Hatchling Member
dylanravenj":2fet2jqm said:
A lot of dragons are like this, both of mine are. They will wait till I take them out and hold them over the toilet to go :roll: Dragons do not like to poop in their living space, and at least what I see with mine is that if they do have to go in their viv they will,literally sit on the opposite side to avoid it until I clean it out. What I suggest is when you take your dragon out, put them in a warm bath so they can go to the bathroom :D this way you can just dump the water and there'll be no mess

I find that very interesting because my girl is the complete opposite. She'll poop just about anywhere.. on her hammock, on her tree, by her water dish.. and she goes about her day like its not even there! Does this change as they get older or is it just different for every beardie?

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Nova1014":1vjsem03 said:
dylanravenj":1vjsem03 said:

I find that very interesting because my girl is the complete opposite. She'll poop just about anywhere.. on her hammock, on her tree, by her water dish.. and she goes about her day like its not even there! Does this change as they get older or is it just different for every beardie?
I guess they're all different! Maybe I just happen to have finicky beardies :roll:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Our girl, Goldie, doesn't like to go in her viv but will if no one is there to get her out when she has to go. Most of the time she's outside when she goes so our AZ dirt gets fertilized.

casper31

Hatchling Member
Miss doesn't like going in her tank either. We have a bathtub schedule we follow. However, over the last week she changed her schedule a bit. I would let her soak late afternoon and she would definitely try, but she didn't have to go. She scratches her glass like mad, but it is right as I'm walking out for work in the morning now and I have to leave. The first two times it happened she went on the paper towel in her viv. But I think she is now a bit angry about the whole thing cuz she went right under the hottest part of her basking lamp and walked away the last two times...and yes, it does not smell pleasant after a day +100 temps and not so fun to clean at the end of the day...lol She made her point!!
I'm going to try to adjust her schedule this week and see if it helps. I wouldn't want to sit in the same room as a pile of poo either! :puke:

Dragonborn

Original Poster
I love spending time with my dragons but I refuse to let them run around the house if they are going to use it as a bathroom. Gaper is at the glass now wanting to come out and I know exactly why and it isn't happening. I've already cleaned my bedding and all my sofa cushions because he is refusing to use his tank as a bathroom :( I have a paper towel in there to try and encourage him to use it, but he hasn't so far. Hoping he gets out of this soon, he didn't do it before, he actually had a problem going but now he seems to think when he's out of the tank it's time to go to the bathroom! Nolana on the other hand doesn't care at all, she'll go where ever and just move away from it for a bit until I clean it up. Some dragons are just difficult :p

Buckmaster299

Hatchling Member
just a suggestion, if you have ANYWHERE In the house that has tile, hardwood, or anything except carpet, let him/her use it. My oldest beardie is like that. He will try his best to not go in his viv. But if he does go he wont' go near it and is ill for a day or so about it. if your worried about your bedding and stuff, don't hold him/her until he uses the potty. if they refuse to use it i would put them back in and see what happens. just a thought though.

Dragonborn

Original Poster
Thanks Buckmaster, I did that earlier but he seemed fine, he didn't need to go but I put him back in just in case. Just have to wait and see how it goes :) Thanks everyone for your replies and all your help!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
dylanravenj":3q59rqyc said:
.... you toilet trained your dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom