Bearded Dragon with pneumonia, help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRidley99

So, my Bearded Dragon Rosy (who is actually male, we thought he was a female haha!)!was diagnosed with pneumonia around mid November. He was treated with two rounds of antibiotics and a fungal medication. Both prescriptions lasted 7 days. At the second vet visit (where we were prescribed the second dose of Baytril and the fungal meds) he was doing SO much better than before. He gained tons of weight, stopped coughing, and was way more alert. That was the last time we were there and that was a week before Christmas. They wanted us to come back to do more X-rays and blood work, but my mother simply doesn't have the funds and has told me she spent a fortune on him. I do have a job and I am trying to get the money. But, he has been fine ever since, he still does kinda breathe heavily, although, I haven't seen him cough since Thanksgiving and he continues to eat fine. I still feel very stressed out when I see him breathing or if he puffs his beard (which isn't too often, but it stills happens) I have brought his temps up, and have been cleaning his cage everyday. I know he still has this horrible infection, and I want to know if there is anything I can do to hopefully hold him off until I or my mother gets the money, or if there is a home treatment for him (I have been giving him Reptaid, doesn't seem to do much) I just don't want him to pass away, he is my baby. Thank you. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear the meds seemed to help. It's a very good sign that he's active and eating well. The tests would help ensure that the infection was wiped out completely or if further medication is needed. If he is acting normally though he is probably fine and the tests are a precaution. If you had the money for it, I'd definitely encourage it (I don't think it's a rip off) but if money is tight then I'd skip it and just keep his temps and lighting in line and monitor his behavior for now.

OmegaRidley99

Original Poster
Alright, thank you. I'll definitely keep his temps up. I'm just concerned because I still see him breathing a bit heavily and sometimes puffing his beard. Maybe it will improve over time with the high temps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom