Bearded dragon with mbd tube light fixture problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spgargano

I have been using a reptisun 10 uvb for about a week now with an all living things fixture. Does that not work, I just ordered a T8 fixture but my littleguy has mbd and i have been doing everything the vet has told me to make him get better. If it is okay to use the all living things fixture with it I would also like to add that the light has flickered and there were sparks where the inside plastic melted a little. The light still shines bright but would i need a new bulb along with a new fixture? Thanks. As i was writing this i was worried that it wasn't working and put a smaller reptisun 10 bulb in addition to the other one on top of his current tank, he went from barely moving on one spot and staying there all day to the other spot further away from the basking bulb but right under the reptisun bulb rather than the tube bulb. If he has not been getting UVB I am going to flip out on pet smart for selling inefficient products and giving out wrong information, the advice they gave me is the reason Calvin has mbd in the first place.

Crowley

Beardie name(s)
Crowley
I dont really know to much about it but please dont use the fixture that is sparking and melting things!!! Extremelh dangerous. There was a guy on here once whose fixture fell and shocked his baby. How long until the new fixture arrives? im sure it'll be fine

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Most of the times, the light fixtures are interchangeable between brands but not all of the
time. It sounds like your light fixture is faulty so ordering a new one was the right move!
It is possible that the tube light doesn't quite fit the fixture properly also, that does happen.
Unfortunately, the lighting industry is not really regulated very well so the pet stores will
continue to sell garbage as long as they can get away with it, that is.
I hope it gets there soon for him.
Are you giving calcium daily on his insects right now?
How is Calvin doing?

Tracie

spgargano

Original Poster
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I am heading to petco to get a proper reptisun fixture after my class. I was just really worried because he has mbd and was showing signs of improvement after the D3 shot he got from the vet and then went on a slow decline a few days after and i believe it is because of the faulty fixture. I give him liquid calcium prescribed by the vet twice daily and calcium powder 3 times a week without d3 and multivitamin with d3 once a week as told by the vet. I will be checking on him in a half hour or so with the new fixture so i hope that helps him to improve!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope the new fixture works well for you!
Poor guy, it sounds like he was getting better so replacing that should keep him on the road to
recovery.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I may be too late here, but the brand of tube fixture makes absolutely no difference, it's the "Wattage Rating" of the fixture compared to the UVB tube you're using. So if you're using a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVb tube, which if he has MBD is definitely your best option as he needs the T5 strength UVB light, but you're using a tube fixture only rated for a T8 tube, this is your issue...

The Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes are I believe 24 watts, while the T8 UVb tubes are only 17 watts, and most all T8-rated tube fixtures are only good to either 15 or 17 watts at the very most. So this is your issue if that's the case...Now you can go in reverse and use a T5-rated fixture to house a T8 UVB tube that is a lesser wattage, just not in the other direction.

As the Brand of Fixture you use makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, and the Reptisun brand tube fixtures are horribly expensive in pet stores, my advice is to go on to Amazon.com and search for whatever UVB tube you have, for example search for "22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube" and then when the tubes that are for sale pop up, scroll to the bottom of the page to the section that shows the "People also bought these" section, and you'll see all the different tube fixtures that are 24" long and are rated for a T5 UVB tube (most of the fixtures on Amazon that are rated for T5 UVB tubes are actually rated up to at least 26 watts, so they can also house the Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tubes). Click on one and then all of the hundreds of options they have will pop up. Again, the brand makes no difference, the only thing you need to be sure of is that the fixture you choose is rated for a T5 UVB tube and up to at least the wattage of your tube or higher, and that the fixture includes a Metal Reflector, or that you order a separate Slip-On Reflector that is the length of the tube, not the fixture (only applies to the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes, where a 22" tube fits into a 24" fixture, etc.).

I've been using only Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes for years and I've ordered several different 18", 24", and 36" T5-rated tube fixtures on Amazon.com for them, I probably have 10 T5-rated tube fixtures that I've ordered from Amazon.com, all different brands (none of them are Reptisun or Arcadia brand), and I think the most I've paid for a single fixture was $30. I recently (3 months ago) ordered 3 new 24" T5-rated fixtures for new custom enclosures I built for people, all 3 had Metal Reflectors included (I chose the absolute cheapest 24" T5-rated tube fixture that included a built-in Metal Reflector) and I paid $24 for each fixture...

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
EllenD":1i220nuc said:
I may be too late here, but the brand of tube fixture makes absolutely no difference, it's the "Wattage Rating" of the fixture compared to the UVB tube you're using. So if you're using a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVb tube, which if he has MBD is definitely your best option as he needs the T5 strength UVB light, but you're using a tube fixture only rated for a T8 tube, this is your issue...

The Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes are I believe 24 watts, while the T8 UVb tubes are only 17 watts, and most all T8-rated tube fixtures are only good to either 15 or 17 watts at the very most. So this is your issue if that's the case...Now you can go in reverse and use a T5-rated fixture to house a T8 UVB tube that is a lesser wattage, just not in the other direction.

As the Brand of Fixture you use makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, and the Reptisun brand tube fixtures are horribly expensive in pet stores, my advice is to go on to Amazon.com and search for whatever UVB tube you have, for example search for "22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube" and then when the tubes that are for sale pop up, scroll to the bottom of the page to the section that shows the "People also bought these" section, and you'll see all the different tube fixtures that are 24" long and are rated for a T5 UVB tube (most of the fixtures on Amazon that are rated for T5 UVB tubes are actually rated up to at least 26 watts, so they can also house the Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tubes). Click on one and then all of the hundreds of options they have will pop up. Again, the brand makes no difference, the only thing you need to be sure of is that the fixture you choose is rated for a T5 UVB tube and up to at least the wattage of your tube or higher, and that the fixture includes a Metal Reflector, or that you order a separate Slip-On Reflector that is the length of the tube, not the fixture (only applies to the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes, where a 22" tube fits into a 24" fixture, etc.).

I've been using only Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes for years and I've ordered several different 18", 24", and 36" T5-rated tube fixtures on Amazon.com for them, I probably have 10 T5-rated tube fixtures that I've ordered from Amazon.com, all different brands (none of them are Reptisun or Arcadia brand), and I think the most I've paid for a single fixture was $30. I recently (3 months ago) ordered 3 new 24" T5-rated fixtures for new custom enclosures I built for people, all 3 had Metal Reflectors included (I chose the absolute cheapest 24" T5-rated tube fixture that included a built-in Metal Reflector) and I paid $24 for each fixture...

The brand can actually make a huge difference, especially if you're using one of questionable quality. They all use ballasts of differing quality and some may 'flicker' at a slower or higher hertz rating than others, whilst the really questionable ones can even have a noticeable flicker to some individuals, especially if you look at it glancingly. If they noticeably flicker to you then they sure as hell flicker noticeably to your poor Dragon, who has to put up with it. I also believe they have a lower flicker fusion threshold than Humans.

I highly recommend those Arcadia control units as they are usually far cheaper than a full-on hood depending on the local market. Even with the additional Arcadia reflector, that contains no electronics on its own, it still works out cheaper (usually).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
phobosdthorga":g8tuktl4 said:
EllenD":g8tuktl4 said:

The brand can actually make a huge difference, especially if you're using one of questionable quality. They all use ballasts of differing quality and some may 'flicker' at a slower or higher hertz rating than others, whilst the really questionable ones can even have a noticeable flicker to some individuals, especially if you look at it glancingly. If they noticeably flicker to you then they sure as hell flicker noticeably to your poor Dragon, who has to put up with it. I also believe they have a lower flicker fusion threshold than Humans.

I highly recommend those Arcadia control units as they are usually far cheaper than a full-on hood depending on the local market. Even with the additional Arcadia reflector, that contains no electronics on its own, it still works out cheaper (usually).

If you had paid attention to the question that the OP asked, then you would have seen that what I wrote is exactly correct. The OP asked "Whether or not the brand of the UVB tube fixture has to match the brand of the UVB tube you buy in order to work". NO, IT DOES NOT. That's what I wrote, to answer the OP's question. And what I wrote is completely correct, you can buy a Reptisun brand UVB tube and use an Exo Terra or Zilla brand tube fixture, as long as the fixture is rated for the wattage of the UVB tube you have, and as long as it's the correct length.

LOL, I didn't tell the OP to go out and buy a "cheap tube fixture', I didn't recommend any brand of tube fixture at all, because THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION THE OP ASKED. Had he asked for a recommended brand of tube fixture then I would have gotten into brands, but he didn't. You did, because you weren't interested in answering the OP's question at all.

I'll say it once more to properly answer the OP's question: No, the brand of tube fixture that you buy does not at all matter in relation to the brand of UVB tube that you're using in it, the only thing that matters is that the tube fixture you buy is rated for the wattage of the UVB tube you want to use inside it, and also it must have a Metal Reflector in it, or at the very least you must buy a separate, slip-on Metal Reflector that is the length of the UVB tube you have, not necessarily the length of the tube fixture you have (in the case of the Reptisun T5HO UVB tubes, for example, the 22" UVB tube in this case fits in a 24" fixture). Just be very certain that the tube fixture is rated for the watts of the UVB tube. It is not the case that the brand of the tube and the brand of the fixture must be the same in order for the tubes to work...

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
EllenD":w3q5kb0r said:
If you had paid attention to the question that the OP asked, then you would have seen that what I wrote is exactly correct. The OP asked "Whether or not the brand of the UVB tube fixture has to match the brand of the UVB tube you buy in order to work". NO, IT DOES NOT. That's what I wrote, to answer the OP's question. And what I wrote is completely correct, you can buy a Reptisun brand UVB tube and use an Exo Terra or Zilla brand tube fixture, as long as the fixture is rated for the wattage of the UVB tube you have, and as long as it's the correct length.

LOL, I didn't tell the OP to go out and buy a "cheap tube fixture', I didn't recommend any brand of tube fixture at all, because THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION THE OP ASKED. Had he asked for a recommended brand of tube fixture then I would have gotten into brands, but he didn't. You did, because you weren't interested in answering the OP's question at all.

I'll say it once more to properly answer the OP's question: No, the brand of tube fixture that you buy does not at all matter in relation to the brand of UVB tube that you're using in it, the only thing that matters is that the tube fixture you buy is rated for the wattage of the UVB tube you want to use inside it, and also it must have a Metal Reflector in it, or at the very least you must buy a separate, slip-on Metal Reflector that is the length of the UVB tube you have, not necessarily the length of the tube fixture you have (in the case of the Reptisun T5HO UVB tubes, for example, the 22" UVB tube in this case fits in a 24" fixture). Just be very certain that the tube fixture is rated for the watts of the UVB tube. It is not the case that the brand of the tube and the brand of the fixture must be the same in order for the tubes to work...

Seriously, what is your issue? I want to know. You seem to have some sort of grudge against me and always reply in the most temperamental way possible. Can a moderator get involved in this before something gets out of hand, please? All I was doing was putting information that I have, on the topic of electronics that I know first-hand, just out there to share with everyone. Yet your reply is brimming with sulphuric acid and for no reason at that. I made no personal attack against you or anything of the sort, yet that's what you are doing to me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please please please do NOT hijack this person's thread with arguing. It is very unnecessary & not helpful. We all have our strengths, so instead of working against each other, let's work together. No one knows everything!

Thank you, Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom