Bearded dragon with gout

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, is his beard dark or normal coloring right now?
Keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't become lethargic from the Metacam. A lot report that it
will cause marked lethargy & lack of appetite. If it persists, you can take his hide out during the day
so he will bask more & then put it back in for him, at night.

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

Poor thing, is his beard dark or normal coloring right now?
Keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't become lethargic from the Metacam. A lot report that it
will cause marked lethargy & lack of appetite. If it persists, you can take his hide out during the day
so he will bask more & then put it back in for him, at night.

Tracie
Well he seemed a little better yesterday. I may have given him too big a dose accidentally. What I don't get is when you are giving a dose as small as .02 ml some gets stuck between the end of the plunger and the tip. I've tried filling that part with water even and it doesn't all come out so I always slightly overcompensate to make sure he gets enough. His apetite has been good at least. I have a couple short vids I took when he was doing this gagging thing before she put him on Metacam I'm curious to see I'd you've ever seen them do this. He would yelp quietly at the end. I also wanted to ask you if you know approximately his chances are of him living more than just a couple years are. I know you can't say for sure but statistically. Thank you you have been a huge help!

Attachments

• cc8bf71476861fe73e2d9b6e937d2fef187f4d1c.mp4
    4.8 MB

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, has his beard gone down in color? Yes, I totally understand that it's
virtually impossible to get all of the medication liquid out of the syringe. That is ok to put in a little extra
in with the syringe to make up for the loss sticking inside of the syringe.
He makes a slight noise after you give him the metacam? He probably just doesn't like the taste of the
meds. I hope he isn't going to be on it for very long, it can be hard on their system.
Did you mention he has started the Allopurinol already?
They can live with gout for a long time, if you can get it managed in a timely manner. If you can get his
uric acid levels down to an acceptable level he should start feeling a lot better

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, has his beard gone down in color? Yes, I totally understand that it's
virtually impossible to get all of the medication liquid out of the syringe. That is ok to put in a little extra
in with the syringe to make up for the loss sticking inside of the syringe.
He makes a slight noise after you give him the metacam? He probably just doesn't like the taste of the
meds. I hope he isn't going to be on it for very long, it can be hard on their system.
Did you mention he has started the Allopurinol already?
They can live with gout for a long time, if you can get it managed in a timely manner. If you can get his
uric acid levels down to an acceptable level he should start feeling a lot better

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
I actually just posted another post where he was doing that noise. No he was making it last week and I took him to the vet she thinks a pain response but he quit all week now he's doing it again. Ill put the video on here too but you can't hear the noise. His beard is semi dark on and off a lot but he's been coming out more. He's been loving sitting by the window. Yes we have 1 week in of the Allopurinol now with no noticeable results just yet but I guess it takes awhile. I didn't realize that about the Metacam but he's on 2 weeks. Luckily all of his medication he drinks now without having to force him at all since he likes the taste and he loves the tart cherry too we've been mixing a little in his water and he will drink 9 or 10 ml. Should I be adding calcium to his critical care? Hes getting 2 silkworms every 2 or 3 days as well and he eats mustard greens daily. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom