Bearded dragon update HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dubia roaches and hornworms are good options. Black soldier fly larvae are also good to include on rotation. Silk worms too, when you can get them (they tend to be seasonal).

Did the vet mention what the lump could be? Since you have paper towel down, it's not likely the substrate unless you've seen him bite off chunks of it (that would typically pass through without much issue though). Has he eaten any other objects that could be difficult to pass? I would keep a close eye on the lump, focusing on the size and position to see if that changes over time. It's possible that it will move through, just slowly. If it's not moving, but is changing in size, I'd report that to the vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would get your lighting and tps better adjusted- the uvb should be more over him distance 12-15 inches and make sure his basking temps are 95-100 this is extremely important for his digestion

Jayewoods

Original Poster
I would get your lighting and tps better adjusted- the uvb should be more over him distance 12-15 inches and make sure his basking temps are 95-100 this is extremely important for his digestion
So push it bac? I should have it going across the whole tank?

Jayewoods

Original Poster
Dubia roaches and hornworms are good options. Black soldier fly larvae are also good to include on rotation. Silk worms too, when you can get them (they tend to be seasonal).

Did the vet mention what the lump could be? Since you have paper towel down, it's not likely the substrate unless you've seen him bite off chunks of it (that would typically pass through without much issue though). Has he eaten any other objects that could be difficult to pass? I would keep a close eye on the lump, focusing on the size and position to see if that changes over time. It's possible that it will move through, just slowly. If it's not moving, but is changing in size, I'd report that to the vet.
He said either impaction or could be parasites.. possible surgery was also mentioned. He said xrays and fecal for now but I forgot the fecal at home I was so in a rush to bring him && I didn’t refrigerate it after && they said they wouldn’t be able to run it bc it wasn’t fresh. I was literally about to drive an hour back home to get it. But with me dipping into rent for that apt I wasn’t able to get the X-rays && care credit denied me.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
If you can have it length wise is best but you need it unobstructed w/ the fine mesh- post a pic of the whole tank plz

it is length was but I just put a hoodie on the side to retain heat && his basking is 102 rn && cool spot is 78.

Attachments

• 15AFF09D-F1E4-4465-A54E-E1A9863FE55C.jpeg
    15AFF09D-F1E4-4465-A54E-E1A9863FE55C.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 596D2445-605E-4690-BCA5-DD99AF79E780.jpeg
    596D2445-605E-4690-BCA5-DD99AF79E780.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 0BFB8DAC-9D24-4436-BAB3-1B6AC9B7C52F.jpeg
    0BFB8DAC-9D24-4436-BAB3-1B6AC9B7C52F.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 108
  • F7978775-5D4C-4966-A8A3-D55CCA801BF3.jpeg
    F7978775-5D4C-4966-A8A3-D55CCA801BF3.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 102
  • D5B15D28-3616-46EA-9598-F1D60E99F986.jpeg
    D5B15D28-3616-46EA-9598-F1D60E99F986.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
X-rays may be helpful, but may also be inconclusive. Since the budget is tight, I'd observe closely for now and keep taking photos for comparison. Feel the area and try to gauge any changes that way as well. If it doesn't move or if he starts to show signs of distress, then surgery may be needed in order to get a better idea of what's going on and possibly remove the mass.

Your temps sound like they're in the right range. Having your UVB light shifted like that should be OK, just keep an eye on the temps with the reduced ventilation. Easy enough to just remove the shirt if need be. If he isn't glass surfing a ton, you might consider removing the photo from the front, at least as a trial. They tend to be pretty curious and he may enjoy seeing you and the room.

The bright orange beard is an encouraging sign. That tells me that he is content and not in distress at the moment.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
X-rays may be helpful, but may also be inconclusive. Since the budget is tight, I'd observe closely for now and keep taking photos for comparison. Feel the area and try to gauge any changes that way as well. If it doesn't move or if he starts to show signs of distress, then surgery may be needed in order to get a better idea of what's going on and possibly remove the mass.

Your temps sound like they're in the right range. Having your UVB light shifted like that should be OK, just keep an eye on the temps with the reduced ventilation. Easy enough to just remove the shirt if need be. If he isn't glass surfing a ton, you might consider removing the photo from the front, at least as a trial. They tend to be pretty curious and he may enjoy seeing you and the room.

The bright orange beard is an encouraging sign. That tells me that he is content and not in distress at the moment.
I haven’t seen him glass surf in a day or so but he normally glass surfs a lot. He has also been aggressive since getting him a month ago. Vet confirmed I have a boy && roughly about a year. But the discharge papers he gave me was lengthy info about bearded dragons but they mention alot of don’ts in it like housing beardies together is okay, heating Matt’s are good && diets. I think my probes are off && I have three - zoo med && amazon digitals with probes && they go down even though nothing has changed or been moved. I’m going to see what Walmart has after work preferably one that has an app.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's about a year old, then his behavior may be due to hormones. That can last a few weeks up to a few months, but usually calms down on its own after a while. If you have a safe and supervised area for him to be outside of the enclosure, I'd let him run around and burn off some energy that way. He may also enjoy looking outside from a window sill.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
If he's about a year old, then his behavior may be due to hormones. That can last a few weeks up to a few months, but usually calms down on its own after a while. If you have a safe and supervised area for him to be outside of the enclosure, I'd let him run around and burn off some energy that way. He may also enjoy looking outside from a window sill.
Well I’m in Massachusetts && the weather has dropped recently so I fear him getting sick from all the rain cold wind putting him in the window. I do let him roam about but he usually finds a spot like under my table to go and then stays there. Is it normal to sleep in random spots during the day? I’m seeing him now take frequent naps closing his eyes.. is this normal or am I being paranoid?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well I’m in Massachusetts && the weather has dropped recently so I fear him getting sick from all the rain cold wind putting him in the window. I do let him roam about but he usually finds a spot like under my table to go and then stays there. Is it normal to sleep in random spots during the day? I’m seeing him now take frequent naps closing his eyes.. is this normal or am I being paranoid?
Normal

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's normal when they're out and about. Especially if they get cold they'll just bunker down somewhere and sleep. At that point it's best to either put him back in the enclosure to warm up, or set up a portable basking light that he can move to and warm up if he wants.

Jayewoods

Original Poster
I meant being in the tank && sleeping frequently
Yeah that's normal when they're out and about. Especially if they get cold they'll just bunker down somewhere and sleep. At that point it's best to either put him back in the enclosure to warm up, or set up a portable basking light that he can move to and warm up if he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom