Bearded Dragon unboxing - DEAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
OMG! How awful for you and the beardie! I know how it feels to be so excited about getting a beardie, and you can't wait for it to get there.. I would have been so sick to my stomach. I hope your new beardie makes it ok..

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lauraj1055":3kuvtgqo said:
OMG! How awful for you and the beardie! I know how it feels to be so excited about getting a beardie, and you can't wait for it to get there.. I would have been so sick to my stomach. I hope your new beardie makes it ok..

thanks..hoping so!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about it. Very sad for you, the lizard and Atomic. Atomic lizard ranch has been breeding for a very long time, and I've never read or heard complaints about them. I'm sure she is just sick to death about this. The only thing that I see that would possibly be the biggest problem is the lack of styro foam insulation. The box itself " breathes " with no air holes, almost all breeders do not punch holes in the box because enough air gets in , it's no more airtight than a car on a long drive. It would not have been jostling that killed it, it may have heated up a bit too much en route at one point during shipping....without the thick styro [ usually 1" in heat or cold ] the heat could have been the culprit. Another possibility is that the odd dragon just freaks out totally and stresses itself , along with the heat. A snake bag is totally safe, the majority of dragons are shipped that way, and the newspaper is good for cushioning. As for the handling of the box by UPS employees, I have read that they really work super fast and don't pay attention to arrows + directions. There are "good " and "bad " employees in every kind of job. I think your new dragon will make it just fine, I really think it was a fluke because Atomic Lizard Ranch has been around a long time, longer than most big breeders today, and shipped a lot of lizards . [ And I don't know them or ever done business with them, so this is not a plug ]

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":3mcrayfp said:
Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about it. Very sad for you, the lizard and Atomic. Atomic lizard ranch has been breeding for a very long time, and I've never read or heard complaints about them. I'm sure she is just sick to death about this. The only thing that I see that would possibly be the biggest problem is the lack of styro foam insulation. The box itself " breathes " with no air holes, almost all breeders do not punch holes in the box because enough air gets in , it's no more airtight than a car on a long drive. It would not have been jostling that killed it, it may have heated up a bit too much en route at one point during shipping....without the thick styro [ usually 1" in heat or cold ] the heat could have been the culprit. Another possibility is that the odd dragon just freaks out totally and stresses itself , along with the heat. A snake bag is totally safe, the majority of dragons are shipped that way, and the newspaper is good for cushioning. As for the handling of the box by UPS employees, I have read that they really work super fast and don't pay attention to arrows + directions. There are "good " and "bad " employees in every kind of job. I think your new dragon will make it just fine, I really think it was a fluke because Atomic Lizard Ranch has been around a long time, longer than most big breeders today, and shipped a lot of lizards . [ And I don't know them or ever done business with them, so this is not a plug ]

Thanks for the reply, I always knew it wasn't atomics fault..I know how they treat their animals and they seem very nice and helpful. She actually told me in all her breeding, only TWO have died during shipping, and mine was the 2nd. So apparently it was a very rare mistake, or UPS' fault like usual. I hope they don't shake it around at all and keep the box cool. by the way, the box even said "KEEP COOL" but yeah, I guess he didn't read it. :/

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
and depending on temps of the truck could have caused issues if he was in truck all day (our UPS trucks do not HAVE AC around here)

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
munchkins9802":3fxis9oj said:
and depending on temps of the truck could have caused issues if he was in truck all day (our UPS trucks do not HAVE AC around here)

Yeah we kind of came to the conclusion that it was just too hot..:/ hope this second beardie makes it tomorrow.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I have shipped dragons from coast to coast and north to south including Alaska.
Sometimes shipping accidents happen and Im sorry this has happened to you.
However its on the shipper to do all possible to ensure a safe delivery.
I start by putting my babys in deli cups with paper towels. Then I put them in a styrofoam lined box including top, bottom and all sides. I then fill the box with newspaper to keep everything snug and still allow air flow.

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":21uff4zt said:
I have shipped dragons from coast to coast and north to south including Alaska.
Sometimes shipping accidents happen and Im sorry this has happened to you.
However its on the shipper to do all possible to ensure a safe delivery.
I start by putting my babys in deli cups with paper towels. Then I put them in a styrofoam lined box including top, bottom and all sides. I then fill the box with newspaper to keep everything snug and still allow air flow.

I wish mine was packed like that :/

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope your new baby arrives safely tomorrow!
Let us know the outcome when he gets there.

Tracie

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3ajpj46w said:
Hello,

I hope your new baby arrives safely tomorrow!
Let us know the outcome when he gets there.

Tracie

Hi, if you are a moderator, are you able to delete this thread? If you can, thanks.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
why delete this thread? if someone was bothering you, then you should let a moderator know in a private message.
It wasn't your fault. I hope your new baby safely arrived.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
I send my sincerest condolences. Truly. This is truly awful.

I'd sue - but I work with three defense attorneys so I'm somewhat biased. Please, keep us all updated on what is to come <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom