Bearded dragon, sudden diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently switched my bearded dragon to an entirely powdered diet, I am giving her/him repashy grub pie, which she/he is taking really well, as well as alfalfa pellets soaked in water, with some salad over top to entice her/him. Although for the past two days she had had diahrrea, her urate is fine, it is white and solid, same as when her poop was solid, I am however concerned about the diahrrea! She goes to the bathroom once a day still.
Facts:
9 inches long
46 grams
UVB and heat lamp, basking temp 100, rest of tank 75
Water and misting every day

Joshuamberg

Original Poster
Destiny1998, I used to feed Dubai roaches and crickets, however it was expensive and it is easier for my family and friends to feed my dragon when I go on vacation, which is often,

Joshuamberg

Original Poster
destiny1998":1shrvw7w said:
Hi. Is there a reason that you are not feeding live bugs?
It is also easier for me to do, and my dragon wasn't so fond of things that move as it scares her, and she quickly took to the repashy

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
No. Beardies, ESPECIALLY babies, NEED LIVE BUGS. if you need something easy and not fast moving, try dubia roaches, silkworms, small hornworms, or phoenix worms (aka cclci-worms, black solider fly larvae) What are you feeding for greens? And is you UV light a coil/compact or a tube? It is very important to have a tube.

Joshuamberg

Original Poster
JessPets":oki7yx1s said:
No. Beardies, ESPECIALLY babies, NEED LIVE BUGS. if you need something easy and not fast moving, try dubia roaches, silkworms, small hornworms, or phoenix worms (aka cclci-worms, black solider fly larvae) What are you feeding for greens? And is you UV light a coil/compact or a tube? It is very important to have a tube.
I have a tube, and for greens I am feeding alfalfa, mustard greens, dandelion greens, and grape leaves usually, and every now and again I give fruit as well as waxworms,

Joshuamberg

Original Poster
It is only since the change in diet that the diarrhea has started, no changes in appetite, behavior, or anything else

Joshuamberg

Original Poster
JessPets":3f597dhb said:
CHANGE BACK TO LIVE BUGS. That will probably solve itself
At what point would I be able to go back to the repashy? I heard it was a complete meal replacement, would I be able to feed repashy and crickets (10c each!) as extra protein?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like the change in diet isn't agreeing with your baby. How long has the diarrhea been going on? It can cause rapid dehydration which is NOT good.

Noticed that the basking temp is 100 with the rest of the tank at 75. Those temps are a little low for a 9" beardie. The basking SURFACE temp should be closer to 110 and the cool side about 80. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Those things should never be a complete meal replacement. And buy your crickets online. For $20-30 bucks you can get 1k crickets. If you want, I con give you some links

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just found this statement on their site. http://www.store.repashy.com/by-product-name-en/grub-pie-reptile-en/

Although we have been doing extensive trials over the last two years with great success (even when fed exclusively), it will take more time and research to assert with 100% confidence that Repashy Grub Pie provides a complete diet for insectivores, as an exclusive food source. With further internal trials, and the feedback of Zoos and advanced breeders/hobbyists around the world, we expect that we will soon be able to make this claim with confidence.

So, it hasn't been completely tested yet. It may be too big of a change for a baby beardie to handle.

Joshuamberg

Original Poster
diamc":38f5tkj5 said:
It sounds like the change in diet isn't agreeing with your baby. How long has the diarrhea been going on? It can cause rapid dehydration which is NOT good.

Noticed that the basking temp is 100 with the rest of the tank at 75. Those temps are a little low for a 9" beardie. The basking SURFACE temp should be closer to 110 and the cool side about 80. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?
It has been going on for 2 stools, or two days, I am using a
TEMPMINDER MRC555, it is accurate within 1.8F, and I have raised the temperatures, and she would not bask, so I lowered them again as I thought they were too high if she would not bask. And the surface temp may be hotter as the floor is tile, and there is a large sheet of Granite underneath the basking spot, dark gray

Joshuamberg

Original Poster
JessPets":1eqktpvh said:
Those things should never be a complete meal replacement. And buy your crickets online. For $20-30 bucks you can get 1k crickets. If you want, I con give you some links
I cannot, as my parents won't let me order feeder insects online, I would however be able to buy crickets/dubias and feed alongside the repashy, it is the most cost affective thing I can do

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does the tempminder have a probe that you place on the basking spot to get the basking SURFACE temp?

What brand is the UVB tube you're using and what is the output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessyMay
Top Bottom