Bearded Dragon sleeping and not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzabelle

My little bearded dragon is starting to worry me. He's sleeping all day, either in his log or some other place, and is refusing nearly all food. I usually feed him a mixture of hornworms, silkworms and dubia roaches, but he suddenly stopped eating. So I tried offering him his favorite food, superworms, just to get him back into his diet. No such luck. He won't eat any of his greens, any live food, and really just sleeps all day in his tank.
He weirdly does not seem to be loosing any weight. Besides his belly not looking like it has worms in it, he has remained the same stature. This has been going on for about 2 months, so I figured by now he would have some appearance of change to him.
Also, when I take him outside his terrarium (i.e. to wander around my room or outside), he will run around until he finds himself a safe dark spot to again, sleep.

My bearded dragon is around 10 months old now, at around 20 inches long. He is in a 55 gallon bio active terrarium, with a UVB 10.0 T5 24" and a basking spot of around 108.

Any suggestions?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup sounds really good to me. Do you have any pictures of your setup & your dragon we could see?
At his age & length, he is a likely candidate of slowing down for his first partial or full brumation. He is the right age, really. You mentioned he doesn't appear to be losing weight either? That's a good sign of optimal health when brumating that they don't lose much weight during that period of time despite not eating much of anything. Do you know an approximate weight on him?
Is his beard normal color too or has it been dark/black lately?
They can stay slown down for several weeks to several months or up to 5 or so months sometimes.
His symptoms are classic for brumation though. Since he isn't really eating, that makes it hard to get a fecal done on him but if you are concerned you could try to get some food into him so you can get a sample to take to the vet for analysis to be sure. If he had worms or parasites though, he would be losing weight & would appear dehydrated & possibly have a darker beard.

Tracie

Izzabelle

Original Poster
His beard hasn't been black at all, always his normal white/orange. I believe he's around 650 grams, which I'm not sure where it is on the range of acceptableness. I didn't think it would be brumation because he's not a year old yet, and I've take him outside quite often, maybe once a day, and we're in the middle of summer here in California.

Here are some pictures of him and his tank:
86302-2773332326.jpg
86302-6176907155.jpg
86302-5677660322.jpg

I've stuff 5 supers in his mouth before he went back to sleep. Today I took him out of his cage for "play time", and he ran around a TON (like you know when they go super fast and bump stupidly into a wall or something) and he pooped a very large wet poop, which I think is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleyna
Top Bottom