Bearded Dragon shedding patterns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubardad

I wanted to ask if there is a "normal/average pattern" on how a beardie sheds? I know the question is weird but I dont know how to word it. So, let me give you some context.

I believe my beardie is around 3mo old. When I purchased him, he was in a full-body shed. Since I had him for the last 3 weeks, his body and majority of his tail has completed the shed but his legs and head looks like they arent even coming close to peeling.

102544-6402475410.jpg

So my question is how long does the full shed lasts and is it the body then tail then head/legs the normal pattern of shedding? I think its practically been over 5 weeks since he has been shedding.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At young ages, they shed very often & usually there isn't a steady pattern, no. The different parts
of their bodies grow at various rates causing separate areas to shed, etc.
They will have full body sheds though, more so than the adults will.
The specialized morphs such as the leatherbacks, may take a bit more time in some areas to
shed than the normal morphs would. Are you giving frequent baths to help out?

Tracie

fubardad

Original Poster
Drache613":17wxrkew said:
Hello,

At young ages, they shed very often & usually there isn't a steady pattern, no. The different parts
of their bodies grow at various rates causing separate areas to shed, etc.
They will have full body sheds though, more so than the adults will.
The specialized morphs such as the leatherbacks, may take a bit more time in some areas to
shed than the normal morphs would. Are you giving frequent baths to help out?

Tracie
For the 3 weeks I have had him, I have only given a bath (soak him in the tub) once a week. I have been trying to give him water daily via dropper on the nose and greens instead of baths.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, beardies shed in odd patterns all through their lives and that includes all morphs. Very rarely is it any cause for concern, the only things to watch for is if the toes or tail tip are being constricted, such as when a tiny piece of shed tightens like a rubber band that can cause the end of a toe or tail to shrivel + fall off. Here's a couple of mine with funny looking sheds :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29897/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30008/full

He wasn't satisfied with a black beard, he also wanted a white mustache. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom