Bearded dragon shaking head and walking in circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so I’m new to this whole website, but wanted to do a post on beardie Waffles. I got waffles over s week ago st white plaines rep. Expo and he hasn’t been eating. He’s been stargazing and shaking his head side to side. He also runs around the tank in a circle like he’s chasing his tail. Very worried and scheduled vet for tomorrow. Earliest they could get us in. What is this? What should I be concerned about? :?:

Basing temp 100 :blob8:

Cool side 78
Being fed super worms, wax worms, and crickets
Little guy is about 3 inches.

WafflesLover

Original Poster
WafflesLover":2h9tskx5 said:
Hey, so I’m new to this whole website, but wanted to do a post on beardie Waffles. I got waffles over s week ago st white plaines rep. Expo and he hasn’t been eating. He’s been stargazing and shaking his head side to side. He also runs around the tank in a circle like he’s chasing his tail. Very worried and scheduled vet for tomorrow. Earliest they could get us in. What is this? What should I be concerned about? :?:

Basing temp 100 :blob8:

Cool side 78
Being fed super worms, wax worms, and crickets
Little guy is about 3 inches.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Can you give a run down of the set up? Lights used? Brands? Subtrate? How you take the temps? Also no superworms!!! He's too small! Try small crickets and Phoenix worms.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's pretty quick for any husbandry issues (on your end) to take hold. I agree about holding off on supers for such a little guy. Instead I'd offer small crickets or small roaches, black soldier fly larvae/Phoenix Worms, or some small silk worms. If you are going to the vet I'd ask them to check for atadenovirus. This is a fairly simple swab test but it would be good to know the results of it if he is stargazing. Aside from that, it's important to dust the live bugs in a calcium supplement and use a high quality UVB light that is appropriate for your setup size.

WafflesLover

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2xpxe8cp said:
That's pretty quick for any husbandry issues (on your end) to take hold. I agree about holding off on supers for such a little guy. Instead I'd offer small crickets or small roaches, black soldier fly larvae/Phoenix Worms, or some small silk worms. If you are going to the vet I'd ask them to check for atadenovirus. This is a fairly simple swab test but it would be good to know the results of it if he is stargazing. Aside from that, it's important to dust the live bugs in a calcium supplement and use a high quality UVB light that is appropriate for your setup size.

I just got back from the vet and they said he had MBD. gave him injections and calcium supplements. Hopefully he’ll make it :blob8:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope so. The MBD would have taken hold before you got him and hopefully it's early enough he can recover without long term issues since he's still so young. Offer him dietary calcium like black soldier fly larvae and small crickets and roaches lightly dusted with calcium supplement. Proper UVB exposure is also quite important as I mentioned. I would invest in a good T5 UVB tube for him.

WafflesLover

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3rj8r2e7 said:
I hope so. The MBD would have taken hold before you got him and hopefully it's early enough he can recover without long term issues since he's still so young. Offer him dietary calcium like black soldier fly larvae and small crickets and roaches lightly dusted with calcium supplement. Proper UVB exposure is also quite important as I mentioned. I would invest in a good T5 UVB tube for him.

He has a reptisun 10.0 long tube . Vet asked us what we wanted to do in case he crashed. It’s pretty bad. Vet also said he was about a hatchling size . Right now he’s not eating but I’ll taje your advice on the food Choices if he gets better ❤️

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy, babies hatch out average 4" long [ can be a bit smaller or larger ] so he must be just recently hatched. Where did you get him ? Can you post a few pics of him + the size the superworms were ? I'm sure they 're mini but like was mentioned, even those can cause impaction. I agree that it's either calcium deficiency, ADV and now he may be impacted on top of everything. I feel for you, there's always hope but it does not sound good. Here's how to post pics if you care to :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is he eating on his own? If not, try dripping water on his nose and see if he licks it up. If he does, you can try doing the same with a little bit of squash baby food and see if he'll eat a little of that. Not too much at once but if he goes after water on his own that's usually a good sign when they aren't doing well.

WafflesLover

Original Poster
CooperDragon":zkqmywr2 said:
Is he eating on his own? If not, try dripping water on his nose and see if he licks it up. If he does, you can try doing the same with a little bit of squash baby food and see if he'll eat a little of that. Not too much at once but if he goes after water on his own that's usually a good sign when they aren't doing well.

No sign of him lapping water up. He slowly seems to be perking up. Still running in circles and gazing. Had a couple of seizures too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom