bearded dragon scared while in tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i take him out, hes fine, when i give him a bath, hes fine, hes eating, hes going to the bathroom, but, it seems when ever we put him back in the cage, when we walk in the room, he gets scared and trys too hide, and, he backs up into the walls till he cant back up no more.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
When you walk into the room where his tank is located, are you approaching him from behind? If so, he could be seeing your shadow falling on him and in front of him, and that may be freaking him out.

In the wild, many predators that see beardies as food will approach them from above and behind, such as birds, or other larger animals, so its become part of their survival instinct to be wary of anything that approaches them that way. If that is what's happening, then try to position his tank in such a way that he can see you coming, rather than coming up behind him. Or you could also try saying his name, or speaking to him as you enter the room, so he knows that its you.

I know all three of mine, on the rare occasion when I harness them and take them out in the yard when the weather's warm, will completly freak out and go into a full display if a bird flies anywhere near them. Also, we live very near the glide path for Mercer Count Airport, and you wouldn't believe the reaction I see whenever a plane or helicopter flies overhead. They're MY BABIES, and they can make themselves look so ferocious, that I won't even consider picking them up without putting a towel over them first. Of course, we all know what little sweeties they actually are, but they would probably scare someone who didn't half to death........a beardie in full display is a very impressive sight. Its easy to see how they can use that ability as a defense mechanism to scare away animals who may try to harm them.

If you are approaching him from behind, or even from the side where he can't immediately see you, the I'm pretty sure that that's probably what's happening. If it isn't, then I'm afraid I havn't got a clue about might be frightening him, unless you've only had him for a short time, and he just hasn't learned to trust you yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom