Bearded Dragon Prolapse !!! Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
UPDATE: she has gotten out of the surgery fine and got stitches but it appears that the prolapse has pierced through the stitches again. I don’t know what to do. She’s not eating just basking with her eyes closed. Should I put her down tomorrow at the vets?!! I don’t know what to do?
I don’t want to see her suffer

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's so sad, I'm not sure. Maybe call the vet + see what they say. Is it really pushing out much ? Is her beard black ? If she's suffering it might be the best thing to put her to sleep. Sometimes they have multiple prolapses after the first one. I don't know why it's coming out so quickly again but it needs attention. So sorry, my heart goes out to you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BonnieandClyde123":2g306as2 said:
UPDATE: she has gotten out of the surgery fine and got stitches but it appears that the prolapse has pierced through the stitches again. I don’t know what to do. She’s not eating just basking with her eyes closed. Should I put her down tomorrow at the vets?!! I don’t know what to do?
I don’t want to see her suffer

That indicates inflammation / swelling of the tissues. This is pretty normal after surgerical trauma of tissues - might not indicate infection.
If you are lucky the swelling might recede before the vet sees her. I take it the vet sent her home with anti-inflammatory + antibiotic injections.

Keep her clean and warm until the vet sees her and a decision is made.

Good luck.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Prolapses that are put back in will either stay in or be pushed back out because the dragon still has the sensation that it needs to expel something, the thing that makes them uncomfortable. So unfortunately they may try to push it out again just from that urge. Can you post a current pic without disturbing her ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, goodness I am so sorry she is having such a hard time.
I'm glad you were able to get her into surgery so quickly & that she has pulled through.
It is relatively common for the tissues to remain swollen. I would try to see what the vet
thinks, whether or not it needs more attention, etc at the site of the stitches though. Other
wise, keep her as calm as you can so she doesn't move very much to work anything loose.
Let her system relax & hopefully the muscles & spasms will stop. She was laying eggs so
those muscles may still be spasming much. Did the vet give some meds for pain relief or
for anti-inflammatory?
Please keep us posted on your girl.

Tracie

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
THANk you. I am planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow. If it’s only the swelling of the tissues then that would give us hope. Also the vet said before doing the surgery that he suspected that a tiny bit of the tissues has already started going black. Does that mean she might die with those tissues in her. I will try and send a photo soon of it.

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
He did mention giving her some 48 hour long effect injections but I was so in shock that I completely forgot what he said. Should I still try and keep the swelling of the tissues wet? Just in case it goes any further black. It is a burgundy colour

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, try to keep those areas wet/moist so they don't dry out & become necrotic. You can use
the vaseline, ky jelly, either one just to help out on those tissues.
If just a small amount had started to go necrotic, hopefully it will just slough off & not affect the
other tissues. She wont die if everything did not go necrotic.
The main thing to prevent now, is any further tissue damage. How is she looking right now?

Tracie

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
She is straining to get it out . It’s obviously bothering her a lot. I’m pretty sure she is prolapsing again because she keeps straining and although it is definitely much smaller than my last picture it still looks dangerous. She has pooped even though she didn’t eat anything for 2 days and I was able to get her to drink some water drops from my finger. Again, she looks quite aware, her eyes are fully open now and bright except she doesn’t want to eat anything and as I said she constantly is straining to get it out. The prolapse has been there since yesterday and although I got the surgery to take it back in, I am scared because now it’s exposed because of her straining that it will go necrotic overnight

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Does she have any eggs left to lay?
They should probably get her a muscle relaxer so that she doesn't strain like this. If she has
any eggs left to lay that could also be the cause of this, too.
Are you going to try & get hold of the vet this afternoon?
It is a good sign she is alert & basking but, you definitely will need to try & keep that area from
drying out, as much as you can. I am sorry you two are going through this!

Tracie

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
The vet said he doesn’t think there’s any eggs in her. I am from the UK so right now it’s night time so I will go early in the morning tomorrow to check on her. I really don’t want her to die but I don’t have money to do another surgery for the prolapse to go in again

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BonnieandClyde123":1k84pxzs said:
The vet said he doesn’t think there’s any eggs in her. I am from the UK so right now it’s night time so I will go early in the morning tomorrow to check on her. I really don’t want her to die but I don’t have money to do another surgery for the prolapse to go in again

If this is same vet. there is a good chance they will put in another stitch if needed at no cost to you since this all related to the first surgery ( maybe should have kept her in under sedation and observation for a day or two to ensure everything was good before discharging her to come home ).

Very likely this is just inflammation due to the trauma of the surgery - think soft tissue damage or a cut (it swells up a bit to start and then swelling slowly subsides over a day or two - this is perhaps what is going on with her).
There are three main stages to the wound healing process:
1) inflammation,
2) proliferation
3) and remodeling.
The symptoms of inflammation, which include heat, redness, swelling and pain, can be quite unpleasant, but they’re generally indicative of healthy, normal healing.
But in some cases, such as when inflammation is excessive or persistent, it can lead to other health complications.
So it’s important to understand this stage of wound healing and be aware of excessive swelling, redness and other symptoms.

Inflammation is the first stage of the healing process after bleeding stops.
It’s the process by which the white blood cells in the body protect the affected area from infection, guarding against potentially harmful bacteria and viruses.
When inflammation occurs in the body, chemicals are expelled from the white blood cells into the wound site, and this is what causes the redness and warmth.
The chemicals can also cause fluid leakage, thereby causing swelling, and the process sometimes stimulates the nerves, which accounts for the pain that some people feel when experiencing inflammation.

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
The vet himself said that it would be best for us to take her home so I listened to him. He said he won’t be in tomorrow but would the other vets believe me if I told them about the surgery??? Also, I get that they would put stitches but wouldn’t they have to push it back in again?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BonnieandClyde123":1du0m5xo said:
The vet himself said that it would be best for us to take her home so I listened to him. He said he won’t be in tomorrow but would the other vets believe me if I told them about the surgery??? Also, I get that they would put stitches but wouldn’t they have to push it back in again?

You might find that the inflammation has subsided a bit tomorrow and the it's retracted mostly or somewhat. I'm hoping this is what happens before you can get back to the vet.

The guidelines for dealing with a prolapse given already should be followed to help reduce swelling and keep the wound and tissues clean. Keep her warm until you get her to the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom