bearded dragon possible cancer

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone,

If you've seen the last few threads, you know that Drogon was acting weird. After bloodwork, the vet found double the amount of white blood cells and it's not looking good, but we are headed to an expert exotic over the weekend.

If Drogon does have leukemia, does anyone have any experience with this? And most importantly, did I do something wrong? Im just so distraught that I really need the community's support.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Everyone,

If you've seen the last few threads, you know that Drogon was acting weird. After bloodwork, the vet found double the amount of white blood cells and it's not looking good, but we are headed to an expert exotic over the weekend.

If Drogon does have leukemia, does anyone have any experience with this? And most importantly, did I do something wrong? Im just so distraught that I really need the community's support.
Boy I am not sure but maybe Tracie can help-
@Drache613

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Unless you were feeding him chemicals (I'm not being serious) I seriously doubt you did anything wrong, cancer happens on it's on, or it may be inherited from his parents. Hopefully that's not what's going on. Please keep us posted though.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Unless you were feeding him chemicals (I'm not being serious) I seriously doubt you did anything wrong, cancer happens on it's on, or it may be inherited from his parents. Hopefully that's not what's going on. Please keep us posted though.
Thanks XP. Drogon got only the best- best bugs, veg, even his pumpkin was organic! I mean, i used tapwater with his smoothies but I seriously doubt that caused it!! I would like to hear from @Drache613 too :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hate to hear that, poor Drogon! When are you going to the next vet appointment?
I highly doubt it's anything you did or didn't do. As suggested, it's possible genetics are some
of the cause, but it's virtually impossible to know for sure.
Were the other blood values in the normal ranges?

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hello,

I hate to hear that, poor Drogon! When are you going to the next vet appointment?
I highly doubt it's anything you did or didn't do. As suggested, it's possible genetics are some
of the cause, but it's virtually impossible to know for sure.
Were the other blood values in the normal ranges?

Tracie
Hi Tracie!
We are going to the exotic vet today. I didn't wanna wait any longer to figure out what's going on. The other vet didn't mention anything abnormal but I will ask once I get the second opinion.

Have you seen any beardies with leukemia and what's the usual treatment?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the vet visit go, what does he recommend?
There have been several cases on here with leukemia. Some went through some type of
chemo/radiation type of therapy & medication.
You could look into CBD for overall help with cancer, & health too. Let's hope it is something
else that is more easily remedied!
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hello,

How did the vet visit go, what does he recommend?
There have been several cases on here with leukemia. Some went through some type of
chemo/radiation type of therapy & medication.
You could look into CBD for overall help with cancer, & health too. Let's hope it is something
else that is more easily remedied!
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie
Hey Tracie!

A mix of good and bad news. The vet checked his bloodwork, all organ function and calcium levels are good. She's actually surprised because his blood levels are exactly the same from last year! (The other stupid vet never told me he had double white blood cells last year 😑) and because drogon also has a head tremor with no eating and some constipation, she is very sure he has adenovirus
It's crazy because he was tested years ago with a negative result, and she explained it couldve been a false negative. We are waiting on confirmation for new blood and fecal work

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Ok, well, Adeno is better than Leukemia!
You can actually treat Adeno & attempt to clear it out. Are you giving a good calcium
supplement too?
The head tremor can definitely be from Adeno but it could also be just from poor calcium
absorption too. When do you get the test results back, this week most likely?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hello!

Ok, well, Adeno is better than Leukemia!
You can actually treat Adeno & attempt to clear it out. Are you giving a good calcium
supplement too?
The head tremor can definitely be from Adeno but it could also be just from poor calcium
absorption too. When do you get the test results back, this week most likely?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Hi Tracie!

Yes the vet mentioned using occasional antivirals if it acts up! And yes, his calcium levels were good which is why she thinks it's adenovirus:/ and yes I should hear back in a day or two so I will update you all :) 💜

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that sounds good then. Hopefully it will just end
up being Adeno, that is a much better scenario.
How is she doing today?
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie💖

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hello,

Ok, that sounds good then. Hopefully it will just end
up being Adeno, that is a much better scenario.
How is she doing today?
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie💖
Thanks for reaching out Tracie :) He's okay. We've been having a lot of bad storms here, so he's sleeping in his cave for 2 days lol. I'm gonna wake him up later for some bugs, love, and critical care xD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Selkie,

You are welcome! It gets frustrating with weather phenomena, etc. I hope he is feeling better.
Are you able to keep his tank a little warmer right now for him overnight, to help out his immune
system?
He is in his cave now? That figures. They can sure get lazy. It's ok to let him rest a little more if
he's tired. He wouldn't be trying to brumate would he, on a small scale?

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hello Selkie,

You are welcome! It gets frustrating with weather phenomena, etc. I hope he is feeling better.
Are you able to keep his tank a little warmer right now for him overnight, to help out his immune
system?
He is in his cave now? That figures. They can sure get lazy. It's ok to let him rest a little more if
he's tired. He wouldn't be trying to brumate would he, on a small scale?

Tracie

Hi Tracie!
I don't have a ceramic heater, but we generally keep the house 69-70 overnight. He's actually been avoiding the basking and favoring the cave. the storms here are every day, it's terrible, so I understand why he wants to hide. I think it's a combo of not feeling good on a crappy day, you know? Drogon typically starts brumating in September until December so I don't think that's it.
It should be any day now that we get confirmed results about adeno!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Selkie,

Yeah, he most likely isn't trying to brumate. He is probably just tired. How is Drogon doing today?
The weather definitely affects their moods & activity levels for sure. As long as he doesn't get too
cool overnight, those temperatures should be fine.
Did you get the Adeno test back yet?

Talk to you soon,
Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom