Bearded Dragon Perception Is Off & Is Not Seeing Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
I've been noticing that my bearded dragon has been acting really weird. It is like she can't see me anymore or can't see very well. Additionally, today she shocked me as she was trying to eat worms and reached for them with her tongue, straining, but yet was still about an inch off of their location. She only could get them when I helped her and after a while she gave up. Overall she hasn't been eating lately and had been lethargic. Her eyes have been a bit droopy compared to how they normally are.

Just to disclose full details, she did lay 45 eggs in the past month. She has a T-Rex MVB, which is situated 8 inches away from her basking spot and the temperature of the spot is 105 degrees. Also, she has been to the vet 3 times in the past 6 weeks to deal with her eggs and he also gave her 3 worming shots 2 weeks apart. Her final one was last Friday. He did not notice anything wrong with her in so far as all these things are concerned, but I didn't really notice the whole not seeing me thing then.

I thought it might be PKC related to the T-Rex MVB lights but I don't want to get paranoid and self-diagnose because of all the posts I saw on here. Also, I didn't ask the vet to check her eyes because I didn't realize there might be an issue. However, would he had noticed PKC if it was there? What are the main symptoms?

I cannot recall when my T-rex bulb was purchased but it was likely about 7 months ago.

I don't know what is wrong with her or if there is something wrong. Please advise.

Oh yea - and I found a stink bug in her bowl today...what are the symptoms of having ingest a stink bug?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, 45 eggs in the past month, poor thing. She has been through a lot with that and then needed the deworming injections too. Did the vet check a fecal before giving the injections? What was the name of what he gave her?

I noticed that you're using a T-Rex MVB. Do you have the 100 or 160 watt? What size tank is she in? If you're using the 100 watt, the MINIMUM distance is 12" but it should actually be placed so that it is no closer than 14 to 16" from your beardie itself. And, for a 160 watt, the MINIMUM distance is actually 18" but should be placed no closer than 20 to 22" from your beardie itself. So, at a distance of only 8" from the basking spot, it is way to close for either wattage. That will certainly cause damage as well as lethargy and loss of appetite. I suggest you adjust the distance asap. Could you take a look at the bulb and see what the batch# is. You will find it to the left of where it says Active UV and should be a letter with the number 1. Is it possible that you could have bought the bulb in October?

Does your beardie have her eyes closed quite often? You mentioned that her eyes look droopy and they weren't before, that could be from dehydration and/or from the MVB.

Are you using calcium WITHOUT D3 since you're using a MVB? How often are you dusting with calcium and vitamins? Have you increased her protein intake and hydration since she was recently gravid?

You mentioned that there was a stink bug in her bowl. Did it look like this?
rid-stink-bugs-fatal-pets-800X800.jpg

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi, thanks for responding.

I actually adjusted the light closer right around the time these things started happening because her basking temperature was off and needed to be adjusted. So, that is also a possibility and perhaps a second thing that is affecting her. If the temperature is off, yet the light is the proper distance, how do you fix that?

I dust with calcium without d3 5 times a week and multivite 2 times per week.

I am not sure the name of the worming shot but he did this after a fecal test. She also is supposed to take metronidazole but I have held off giving that to her due to all the duress she has been under.

Yep, a stink bug just like that except it was more of a brownish color. I don't know if that matters or not.

Since my post I took her to the vet again and he ran a cbc and blood test and found out that all the egg bearing caused her electrolytes to be out of whack and for her calcium to be half what it is supposed to be normally. He subcutaneously gave her electrolytes on the spot but also sent me home with liquid calcium, baytril, and Oxbow critical care. He said that electrolytes being so low or out of whack can cause loss of motor function and reduced eye sight and thinks that she will be fine within a week. She seems to be doing a bit better but is still tired at times based on the fact that she randomly goes to sleep during the day which is unlike her.

I was thinking about the light thing and it would have affected her sooner if it was the manufacturing problem with the T-Rex bulb. She has been using it ofr a few months already and this is the first time I saw any sign of a problem. However, I will check the batch number tonight after it cools down and also will look into adjusting the distance for her basking spot again.

Thanks for your advice!

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
About the distance of the light, I just approximated and I guess my metrics were off!!! My bf just looked and said it is exactly 12" so I guess we can rule that out. Sorry for the confusion.

Okiemavis

Why did the vet put her on Baytril? That's an antibiotic...

Metronidazole (Flagyl) is generally used to treat coccidia, so I'm assuming that's what he found (very common).

With all those drugs in her just make sure you keep her hydrated and even though the Oxbow has probiotics in it, if you can't get her to eat that, I'd recommend giving her another probiotic, or a bit of soy yogurt.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The E1's seem to be fine, I'm using that batch# on Judas' tank and he has had no issues with it. I also know someone else that had the same one and again, no problems. BUT the J1 batch# is one of the ones that are concerning. The ones involved that we know of are J1, K1, L1. Actually, at a distance of 12" to the basking spot, that is still too close. It should be a MINIMUM of 12" to your basking beardie which would probably make it more like 9 or 10" so since you recently moved it closer, that is more than likely a big part of the problem. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps and where exactly are you taking them? Before we discuss how to get the temps higher, please let me know about your thermometer and what the exact distance is of that bulb to her when she is in her basking spot.

That's good that you have increased her calcium intake since she recently laid some eggs. Was the Baytril prescribed because she has parasites? Did he recommend a probiotic to help restore the good gut flora that the antibiotics kill off? Be sure to keep her very well hydrated as the eggs do deplete their hydration as well as the antibiotics do too. How is her appetite?

It does seem like there is more than one issue going on with her. She's had quite a time of it. :( I will wait for your responses regarding the concerns above.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okiemavis":goeaucp7 said:
Why did the vet put her on Baytril? That's an antibiotic...

Metronidazole (Flagyl) is generally used to treat coccidia, so I'm assuming that's what he found (very common).

With all those drugs in her just make sure you keep her hydrated and even though the Oxbow has probiotics in it, if you can't get her to eat that, I'd recommend giving her another probiotic, or a bit of soy yogurt.

She does not have coccidia. I just remembered it is trichomonas (sorry for the spelling).

The Baytril is because she is prone to infection since her immune system has been compromised.

I have some probiotic powder from Drache's website that I have used every now and then.

diamc":goeaucp7 said:
The E1's seem to be fine, I'm using that batch# on Judas' tank and he has had no issues with it. I also know someone else that had the same one and again, no problems. BUT the J1 batch# is one of the ones that are concerning. The ones involved that we know of are J1, K1, L1. Actually, at a distance of 12" to the basking spot, that is still too close. It should be a MINIMUM of 12" to your basking beardie which would probably make it more like 9 or 10" so since you recently moved it closer, that is more than likely a big part of the problem. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps and where exactly are you taking them? Before we discuss how to get the temps higher, please let me know about your thermometer and what the exact distance is of that bulb to her when she is in her basking spot.

That's good that you have increased her calcium intake since she recently laid some eggs. Was the Baytril prescribed because she has parasites? Did he recommend a probiotic to help restore the good gut flora that the antibiotics kill off? Be sure to keep her very well hydrated as the eggs do deplete their hydration as well as the antibiotics do too. How is her appetite?

It does seem like there is more than one issue going on with her. She's had quite a time of it. :( I will wait for your responses regarding the concerns above.

I will measure the exact distance when I get home tonight. I am using a ProExotics Temp Gun to measure the temperature.

Her appetite is decreasing. Again, the Baytril is because her immune system has been compromised and she is at risk of having an infection. I am periodically using probiotic in her slurries. He did not recommend it though. I keep giving her baths in the hopes that she will drink but she doesn't always.

Thanks for your help so far (both of you).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom