bearded dragon not pooping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog2011

ok now were are borderline stressin out over our no poop situation... nothing suggested has worked and short of goin to the vet we need someone to help us out with sure fire advice

please help

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, today it's 4 days since he pooped? Does he seem uncomfortable at all? What are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? If the temps aren't optimal, it can cause digestion and pooping problems. Also, make sure the crickets are no larger than the space between his eyes. How often are you bathing him and for how long each time? If you haven't already, you could put a drop or 2 of vegetable oil on his nose for him to lick off.

There have been some issues with the coil/compact UVB's as they can cause eye issues as well as loss of appetite, etc. The best UVB you can get in the U.S. right now is the Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent tube. With this particular bulb, it should be 6 to 8" from your beardie while in the basking spot. So, you might want to consider getting one.

Please be sure to keep us updated on him.

Grog2011

Woke up this morning still no mess to clean up... He did however look fat! Me and my wife are growing more and more concerned. Were going to try the veggie oil trick when we get home from work later if he hasnt already made.

I seriously hope he is and or will be ok. We love that lil guy and want to get him poopin lol

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Answering these questions would be helpful, I'm posting them again. Does he seem uncomfortable at all? What are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? If the temps aren't optimal, it can cause digestion and pooping problems. Also, make sure the crickets are no larger than the space between his eyes. How often are you bathing him and for how long each time?

Something else that works great is baby food applesauce, the warmer, the better but of course, not hot. You can put drops on his nose for him to lick off, most of them really like it.

Grog2011

His behaviour has not all changed, hes still playful and sleepy lol The basking spot temp stays at about 85 degrees. The temp gauge is a sticker thing up near the top. We bathe him at least every other day for anywhere up to 10-15 mins in warm water. And we massaged his belly for a few of those minutes. Also, we each spent about 10 mins a piece massaging his belly while we were holding him. We let him scamper around on the floor cuz we figured since we take such great care of our carpet hed poop on that lol But overall everything is fine in his behaviour besides the no poop thing...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, I think I narrowed it down for you. For a baby, the basking temp needs to be about 105, up to 110 (but no higher) in order to be able to digest and pass the food properly with a cool side temp of 78 to 82. Sounds like you might be using a digital strip thermometer stuck on the side of the tank. Unfortunately, any type of stick-on thermometer can be off by as much as 20 degrees. The only 2 ways to get accurate readings are with either an infrared temperature gun or digital thermometer with long wire & probe end. Do you have a Walmart near you? If so, they have the AcuRite brand digital with probe which will give you both basking & cool side temps at the same time as well as a humidity readout, it works great and only costs about $12.00 so I would recommend you pick one up asap. Lowe's or Home Depot has the digital with probes too.

If you're getting a reading of 85 with the strip and it is near the top as well as stuck to the glass, the basking temp must be way off too. You need to know the basking SURFACE temp, that's where the probe comes in. What you do is place the probe end so that it is resting on (actually touching) the basking surface and place the thermometer part way over on the bottom of the cool end, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then the "out" reading is the basking temp and the "in" reading for the cool side.

What wattage basking bulb are you using now in that tank? Babies are particular with their needs so the sooner you get the temp squared away, the better.

Grog2011

Alright alright alright! We come home to discover a decent pile of poop. So thats one big worry off our shoulders!!!! *wipes forhead* And he just had himself a good feeding, but about the equipment you recomended, we will be leavin shortly to get that entire list checked off. And after we do so well update yous on whats goin on. Thanks for the help and advice!

On another note, weve never been so excited about poop before lol

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
YAY, we have poop! :p And, he ate well too. 8)

Great that you're going shopping, let us know what you end up buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom