bearded dragon not moving back legs not good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my bearded dragon for the last few days hasn't been moving his back legs hes still a baby. we just started giving him calcium this morning he ate 2 crickets we soaked him in warm water last night and this morning... he won't or can't move his back legs and he just lays werever we put him...
what is wrong and what can i do to help him?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
What substrate do you use?
What size feeders do you have? are they smaller than the space between the eyes?
What are you temps in the viv and what do you take them with?

johnnysocko

Original Poster
i used the vita sand but i put newspaper in there today
i buy med crickets
and idk what the temp is but i took him out of his tank and put him in a ten gal so he could get closer to the lamp

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, it actually sounds like more than one thing going on. How old is your beardie or what is the length from nose to tip of tail?

Babies are VERY particular with their needs, so it's very important that you get an accurate thermometer. The only 2 ways to get a good reading are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end the end like this:
100_0297.jpg
This is the AcuRite brand & can be found at Walmart for about $12.00 and it's well worth the money. They are sold in the area where you'll find the plastic outdoor thermometers. So, now he's in a 10 gallon tank? What wattage basking bulb are you using and is it a colored or white bulb? It's very hard to get good temps in a 10 gallon because most of the time you're not able to get the right basking & cool side temps at the same time. Without the proper temps he won't have much energy, appetite, or be able to digest or poop properly.

He also could be impacted from the vita sand which contains vitamins so it encourages them to lick it which is very BAD. Not moving the back legs can be sign of impaction. You need to bathe him in warm water with his vent area (where he poos) right down in the water for about 15 to 20 min. Test the water temp by the inside of your wrist, should feel warm but not hot. Put a washcloth or small towel down in the bottom of sink or transparent container to give him something to hang on to & to keep him from sliding around. You could also hold him in the palm of your hand with his lower body down in the water and gently massage on his right side from armpit to vent area feeling for a lump of sand. If you feel a hardened area, massage VERY gently in a circular motion trying to move it closer to the vent to help him pass it. Even if he is pooing a little each day, he could still be impacted from the sand. Also babies can get dehydrated very quickly so bathing at least 3 to 4 times a wk is a good idea. Do you thic

Could you fill us in on the UVB light you're using, the brand name, % of output, and most importantly is it a coil, compact or strip fluorescent tube? How close is your beardie to this light? Also, are you using calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free and vitamins? If so, what brand & how often are you using them?

Please fill us in on the answers and make the suggested changes to try to help your beardie improve. If you have any questions, please let us know.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad you took out the sand, because it could be a cause of impaction. I would soak him with warm (not hot) water for about 20 minutes every day. Is he pooping regularly? There is a couple of reason for him not moving his back legs. Impaction is one, and the other is called Metalic Bone disase which is due to lack of calcium and correct uvb lighting. What type of uvb do you have?
About the temps, I suggest going to your local Walmart and get an accurite digital thermometer with probe. The one I have has 2 temps and a humidity reading and costs about $12 plus tax. Since he's still a baby, the basking temps should be between 95 and 110, not hotter. Babies need the higher temps. If your temps are to low they can't digest properly or don't want to eat.

BTW: I'm glad you noticed this Diane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom