Bearded dragon not eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc577

Hi, I really could do with some advice if possible please. My bearded dragon all of a sudden about 3 to 4 weeks ago just stopped eating. I was feeding them crickets, locusts and dubias with wax worms given as a treat which they loved but no wont even entertain them. I give them fresh veg everyday which gets picked at now and then but as they are only 5 - 6 months old not exactly sure on exact age I understand they don't eat much veg at this age? It hasn't lost any weight as I'm been checking every other day but is really small only weighing around 75g and 12 and half inch's in length from tail tip to head.

The vivarium is a custom made wooden one, 2ft high, 1.75ft deep and 3.5ft width.

The basking spot is raised up on a higher shelf and is roughly at 44c (111f) using a temp gun the ambient temp of the vivarium is 29c (84f) on the warm side and 26c (78f) on the cooler side these are day temps.

For uvb I'm using an arcadia euro desert range T8 10% which is roughly 7 inch's from the basking spot and 10 inch's from the raised hammock on the cooler side. the bulb itself is 36 inch's in length.

I'm using tiles as substrate and there's plenty on furniture for hides and climbing as well. I clean there poo out pretty much straight away when I notice it and deep clean the full vivarium every 1 - 2 weeks.

I was dusting there food every day with calcium powder and twice a week with vitamins but this has stopped since they wont eat.

I usually bath coco twice a week and give them a little scrub with a soft brush which they love, but also recently I bought reptoboost and give them 2.5 - 5mls of this in a syringe to keep them hydrated but also give them some nutrition due to not eating.

I went to the reptile shop where I usually buy supplies and they recommend I change my uvb light from a t8 to a t5 as this isn't sufficient enough in his size cage any advice on this would be much appreciated and any help regarding them not eating please. Also just to add when he does poo every now and then as they arnt eating much it is white and brown bit watering/jelly like and doesn't really have a strong smell so I wasn't sure it could be down to parasites? They are also really energetic and likes to be out and about thanks for reading.

Marc577

Original Poster
Heres a picture of coco and his vivarium.

Attachments

• 20211219_122202.jpg
    20211219_122202.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 20211219_122240.jpg
    20211219_122240.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 102

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Heres a picture of coco and his vivarium.
The reptile shop is correct for the UVB you need a T 5 or to be exact a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb --- that is a whole new fixture --- the distance for the fixture would be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor NO back walls please -- as of now your dragon is getting little to NO UVB --- please get this ASAP you need a reflector on that UVB so the UVB rays are directed downward toward him --- he wont eat till this is corrected - he cannot absorb / synthesize the calcium hes ingesting
Also I would recommend offering a heat gradient for him for the basking side some thing that offers temps 105-110 F--- this will change as he gets older they dont like temps that hot around 6 months of age -- and older -- watch his behavior and if you notice hes not basking as much there adjust your temps -- his poop sounds good --- jellylike is moist and its dark - urate should be formed white and moist -- when dusting the food make sure its your insects -- you know he will eat those when he starts eating again ---- but you need to get that UVB replaced first--- a 24" fixture is good for the size of the tank your using --also I recommend a digital probe hygrometer Zoo Med sells them look on Amazon --the probe would need to go on the back center wall of the tank optimal humidity 40-50 % nothing below 20 and nothing over 70% -- please invest in two digital probe thermometers one on each side of the tank --- the probe placed on the basking spot where he sits is going to give you actual basking temps-- IR guns are good but sometimes read incorrectly w / certain materials used for basking decor

Marc577

Original Poster
Brilliant thankyou for your help and reply ill look at getting the light changed straight away how long will it take till I notice a difference with him eating once I've done this? Swell uk is my local reptile shop as well. I have two analogue hygrometers either side of the vivarium and they are both reading between 40 - 50 % when I put a bowl of water in it raised it to over 70% so I removed this straight away as he wasn't drinking from it anyway.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Brilliant thankyou for your help and reply ill look at getting the light changed straight away how long will it take till I notice a difference with him eating once I've done this? Swell uk is my local reptile shop as well. I have two analogue hygrometers either side of the vivarium and they are both reading between 40 - 50 % when I put a bowl of water in it raised it to over 70% so I removed this straight away as he wasn't drinking from it anyway.
It wont take him long w / the correct UVB ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Excellent, the Arcadia D3 12% T5 is a great bulb. He should begin to improve pretty quickly with a stronger UVB. It will help him to
absorb his calcium & vitamins more efficiently. The youngsters don't always eat their greens like they should when they are juveniles,
but keep working with him. Try a good variety to see if you can find something he likes & keep encouraging him to eat the veggies, etc
also. Eventually he will start to recognize it as food.

Tracie

Marc577

Original Poster
Thankyou so much for your replies, I've gone out and purchased a new UVB light the one stated above. Just a quick question in regards to placement of it obviously I will be placing it on the roof not the back wall this time however do I place it in front on the basking bulb or behind or the side next to it? Also I'm currently only using a CHE for his basking spot and to heat up the vivarium do I need to change this to a basking light bulb or is this fine? as I need the CHE to maintain night temps as it can get really cold. Or can I use the CHE and a standard bulb to produce extra light over the basking spot? Thankyou for your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thankyou so much for your replies, I've gone out and purchased a new UVB light the one stated above. Just a quick question in regards to placement of it obviously I will be placing it on the roof not the back wall this time however do I place it in front on the basking bulb or behind or the side next to it? Also I'm currently only using a CHE for his basking spot and to heat up the vivarium do I need to change this to a basking light bulb or is this fine? as I need the CHE to maintain night temps as it can get really cold. Or can I use the CHE and a standard bulb to produce extra light over the basking spot? Thankyou for your help.
Your UVB needs to go inside the tank --- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece you can use this to hang w/ GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot
this is like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around your fixture ---
you MUST have a CLEAR bright white basking bulb -- CHE's are for heat only and DO NOT emit UV of which your dragon needs please get a CLEAR bright white basking bulb here is an example Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb ---- I would start w/ a 100 watt make sure you have a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where he/ she basks wait 10 min or so get the temp that is a MUST you do not want to cook your dragon -- for babies temps should be 105-110 for juvies like 6- months 95-100 along w/ adults -- as they get older they do not like the real hot temps --- its good to offer a gradient heat so they can pick the spot of where they want to bask -- you can use a standard bulb like a regular household bulb NO LEDS w/ the heat emitter as long as hes getting UV -- that is important -- and correct temps --- but you need those temps to be correct for the digestion process ---

Marc577

Original Poster
Your UVB needs to go inside the tank --- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece you can use this to hang w/ GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot
this is like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around your fixture ---
you MUST have a CLEAR bright white basking bulb -- CHE's are for heat only and DO NOT emit UV of which your dragon needs please get a CLEAR bright white basking bulb here is an example Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb ---- I would start w/ a 100 watt make sure you have a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where he/ she basks wait 10 min or so get the temp that is a MUST you do not want to cook your dragon -- for babies temps should be 105-110 for juvies like 6- months 95-100 along w/ adults -- as they get older they do not like the real hot temps --- its good to offer a gradient heat so they can pick the spot of where they want to bask -- you can use a standard bulb like a regular household bulb NO LEDS w/ the heat emitter as long as hes getting UV -- that is important -- and correct temps --- but you need those temps to be correct for the digestion process ---
Thankyou for your help again, I will look at getting a bulb fitted to replace the CHE then, sorry regarding my question about the UVB light I'm putting it inside on the ceiling of the vivarium as its a solid wooden one I will have to screw in and use supplied brackets which came with the light you mention to have it directly over the basking spot but wont the basking light be there in the way so my previous question was do I put the UVB light in front of the basking light behind or at the side thankyou.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thankyou for your help again, I will look at getting a bulb fitted to replace the CHE then, sorry regarding my question about the UVB light I'm putting it inside on the ceiling of the vivarium as its a solid wooden one I will have to screw in and use supplied brackets which came with the light you mention to have it directly over the basking spot but wont the basking light be there in the way so my previous question was do I put the UVB light in front of the basking light behind or at the side thankyou.
It does not matter but you do not want the uvb on the back wall or side if you can get directly over that would be best and make sure your distance is 12-15 inches - I would get another dome for the che then but you do not want the basking bulb closer than 6" I recommend no closer than 8"-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom