Bearded Dragon Not Eating, Lethargic, Possibly Impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My Bearded Dragon has not been eating recently, or pooping. He has been acting very lethargic and I am very worried about him. He also seems dehydrated and will not drink the water when I bathe him. He is able to poop when I rub his stomach in the bath for 10 minutes. Any help would be appreciated. Here is his basic information:

Enclosure

Dimensions- 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
Heating/Lighting- Reptisun 10.0
- 100w Basking Bulb
Temps- Cold side: Low 80s
Hot side: High 90s
Basking Spot: 100-105f
Diet- Superworms
-He refuses to eat greens/fruits. I offer him romaine lettuce and kale.
Substrate- Sand

I guess thats all. Please reply ASAP. Thanks in advance. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I also have no clue how to work the "PM" system. So dont message me.

Thanks,
Shaun

Annalee

Juvie Member
ShaunPower":1llc2hrm said:
Hello,

My Bearded Dragon has not been eating recently, or pooping. He has been acting very lethargic and I am very worried about him. He also seems dehydrated and will not drink the water when I bathe him. He is able to poop when I rub his stomach in the bath for 10 minutes. Any help would be appreciated. Here is his basic information:

Enclosure

Dimensions- 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
Heating/Lighting- Reptisun 10.0
- 100w Basking Bulb
Temps- Cold side: Low 80s
Hot side: High 90s
Basking Spot: 100-105f
Diet- Superworms
-He refuses to eat greens/fruits. I offer him romaine lettuce and kale.
Substrate- Sand

I guess thats all. Please reply ASAP. Thanks in advance. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I also have no clue how to work the "PM" system. So dont message me.

Thanks,
Shaun

If your dragon is young, he probably can't handle superworms yet. He might be having a very hard time digesting causing him to act this way. They're hard to digest. Also, sand is bad. Romaine Lettuce as far as I know has little to no nutricional value for dragons so I'd switch to collards or turnip greens. I use apples and repti-bites that you can buy at most pet stores. They smell good, attracting the dragons. Or you could try mixing it with some wax worms or silk worms just to get their attention.

I wish you the best of luck.

ShaunPower

Original Poster
Thanks for replying so quick! My beardie is actually 7 years old, and he literally refuses to eat leafs. He will push it our of his face if I offer it to him. And now, he just isn't eating. I know, sand is bad. I have had him on it for all these years, but I recently did a full clean of his tank and replaced his sand. The new sand is extremely dusty and I saw him licking it once. I will switch to slate tile ASAP. Also, is it possible that he is like this because of a respiratory infection? Thanks again,

Shaun

Annalee

Juvie Member
ShaunPower":1k0v901j said:
Thanks for replying so quick! My beardie is actually 7 years old, and he literally refuses to eat leafs. He will push it our of his face if I offer it to him. And now, he just isn't eating. I know, sand is bad. I have had him on it for all these years, but I recently did a full clean of his tank and replaced his sand. The new sand is extremely dusty and I saw him licking it once. I will switch to slate tile ASAP. Also, is it possible that he is like this because of a respiratory infection? Thanks again,

Shaun

How is his breathing? I have a rescue that practically refuses and rubbing the repti bite on his lips usually gets him interested enough to lick it off of his lips, giving me an opportunity to slip a bit of greens on his tongue when he goes to lick and he usually pulls it in his mouth.

Is he pooping regularly?

ShaunPower

Original Poster
His breathing seems fairly regular, as far as I can see at least. He does seem to open his mouth a LOT but I feel like he is just venting. He is not pooping regularly, but when I bathe him and rub his stomach he is able to pass.

Oniko

Honestly, take ALL the sand out right now and resort to paper towel or newspaper for now. If he is impacted, the sand is probably the culprit. As he is 7 years old, the supers are probably not causing a problem.

Give him warm baths and massage down his body on the right side from just under his armpit area, slowly and in circular motions down to his vent. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Give him 10-15 minute baths every 2 days and see if that helps. It will hydrate him as well.

How old is your UVB? They tend to lose potency after about 6 months and should be replaced even if they still visually seem to be working. Always replace them at 6 months.

Listen to him while he's breathing, and watch for gasping sounds/motions. Also check for mucus in his nostrils or excess mucus in or around his mouth.

I wouldn't wait too long for a vet visit. Trust your instincts as you have had him for 7 years and know him best. If he's acting so strangely that you find it odd or worrisome, I wouldn't hesitate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom