Bearded Dragon not Basking need some advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyB

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1ofuiam8 said:
The few batches of silkworms I bought I got by mailorder from a hobbyist (she also had a great source of mulberry leaves and was happy to supply these by the shopping bag full and mail them to me.

Worth looking at the online classifieds (your equivalent to GUMTREE over there). Best to order mixed sizes , that way you'll have a mixture of worm sizes, some too small to used immediately and some too big (let them pupate and hatch out as moths ---- > then you'll have hundred or even thousands of eggs you can hatch as needed).

That sounds good I will have a look tonight for some silkworms. What do you keep them in? In regards to breeding. Just need to make sure I have the room as I have a roach colony. So last night Loki was sleeping on the end of my bed when lights went out. And I Heard a knocking sound inside the Viv.. I shined my torch inside and saw 2 Dubai roaches on the logs. These little critters are escape artists, I left them in a smooth ceramic bowl for the 1st feed while I was at work and I thought Loki had eaten them but they must of got out some how.. The edges are 1.5" high I think I need a smooth lipped bowl but can't find one on the net was looking last night.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ScottyB":r8q7a0t2 said:
kingofnobbys":r8q7a0t2 said:
The few batches of silkworms I bought I got by mailorder from a hobbyist (she also had a great source of mulberry leaves and was happy to supply these by the shopping bag full and mail them to me.

Worth looking at the online classifieds (your equivalent to GUMTREE over there). Best to order mixed sizes , that way you'll have a mixture of worm sizes, some too small to used immediately and some too big (let them pupate and hatch out as moths ---- > then you'll have hundred or even thousands of eggs you can hatch as needed).

That sounds good I will have a look tonight for some silkworms. What do you keep them in? In regards to breeding.<<<<< see viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193 .... I use clear plastic food keeper tubs that I modify so there is good ventilation ...Just need to make sure I have the room as I have a roach colony. So last night Loki was sleeping on the end of my bed when lights went out. And I Heard a knocking sound inside the Viv..<<< Bet that was Loki up having a late night bug feast ..... Toothless and Peppa did that lots when they younger and ALWAYS HUNGRY, and Wriggles also liked a late night snack so I start leaving a few bugs in her tub for her to have her evil way with if she decided she wanted a snack after bedtime ....
I shined my torch inside and saw 2 Dubai roaches on the logs. These little critters are escape artists, I left them in a smooth ceramic bowl for the 1st feed while I was at work and I thought Loki had eaten them but they must of got out some how..<<< I used to obscess about crickets coming out from hiding overnight and harming my babies (Rex and Puff) but soon discovered they knew / remembered there were crickets to be had, and they knew where to find them , nibbling on the greens and grated veg in the salad dish where they'd go for a midnight raid , and it was goodbye to the crickets they found there, they'd nail most of them on the spot and hunt down the rest, Peppa and Toothless have behaved similarly.
The edges are 1.5" high I think I need a smooth lipped bowl but can't find one on the net was looking last night.<<< lots of keepers here paint the rim of deepish feeder dishes with Fluon .... dries very slippery

A ceramic or pyrex 9" basic pie dish with the inside walls coated with Fluon will probably do the job..

ScottyB

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2zcbkix8 said:
ScottyB":2zcbkix8 said:
kingofnobbys":2zcbkix8 said:

That sounds good I will have a look tonight for some silkworms. What do you keep them in? In regards to breeding.<<<<< see viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193 .... I use clear plastic food keeper tubs that I modify so there is good ventilation ...Just need to make sure I have the room as I have a roach colony. So last night Loki was sleeping on the end of my bed when lights went out. And I Heard a knocking sound inside the Viv..<<< Bet that was Loki up having a late night bug feast ..... Toothless and Peppa did that lots when they younger and ALWAYS HUNGRY, and Wriggles also liked a late night snack so I start leaving a few bugs in her tub for her to have her evil way with if she decided she wanted a snack after bedtime ....
I shined my torch inside and saw 2 Dubai roaches on the logs. These little critters are escape artists, I left them in a smooth ceramic bowl for the 1st feed while I was at work and I thought Loki had eaten them but they must of got out some how..<<< I used to obscess about crickets coming out from hiding overnight and harming my babies (Rex and Puff) but soon discovered they knew / remembered there were crickets to be had, and they knew where to find them , nibbling on the greens and grated veg in the salad dish where they'd go for a midnight raid , and it was goodbye to the crickets they found there, they'd nail most of them on the spot and hunt down the rest, Peppa and Toothless have behaved similarly.
The edges are 1.5" high I think I need a smooth lipped bowl but can't find one on the net was looking last night.<<< lots of keepers here paint the rim of deepish feeder dishes with Fluon .... dries very slippery

A ceramic or pyrex 9" basic pie dish with the inside walls coated with Fluon will probably do the job..

Haha I have never noticed her eating at night will have to pop a torch on one night if I here anything.
Awesome will have a look at getting a silkworm set up :)
I have a ceramic dish but only stand about a inch and a half high so will have to get a larger one maybe a ceramic dog bowl, these are about 3 inch high.

Came home from work today and again Loki was in the cool end but very warm to the touch so I think she has been basking. I don't see her take herself to the basking spot in the evenings because I end up putting her their after she has come out for a run arround. I'm going hold back on getting her out for a couple of days and see if she makes the move in the evenings. In the day I'm not here to know if she does or not so I'm just guessing she does as she's warm to the touch.

Again all your advice and guidance in much appreciated I can't thank you enough :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ScottyB":20a85xd6 said:
86114-2639889643.jpg

last night loki was chilling on my belly got a quick snap

Ah ! nothing quite as nice as nice comfy and cosy tummy to chill on while having ya back tickled.

She looks very content.

ScottyB

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":23oxfgk9 said:
ScottyB":23oxfgk9 said:
86114-7804721975.jpg

Got home early this morning to find loki was basking on her new slate :blob8: :)

I think that bit of slate is a winner as far as Loki is concerned.....

I think it is loki has been basking a lot these past days and
Eating a lot better :) thanks for all the help and support its really helped

ScottyB

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":271a5m9x said:
ScottyB":271a5m9x said:
86114-7804721975.jpg

Got home early this morning to find loki was basking on her new slate :blob8: :)

I think that bit of slate is a winner as far as Loki is concerned.....

86114-7569341673.jpg

86114-5488771973.jpg

So Loki has been basking a hell of a lot more these past few days thanks to your help :) . i have purchased some new substrate, exo terra sand mats and they look really good and are easily washed. Was worried about the reptile carpet i was using incase her feet got stuck in it.. was only cheep stuff.

ScottyB

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3r8mdu7f said:
yes .... ditch the red basking light , a Philips par38 clear colouress spotty will be better as it will provide heat and bright sunlike light , even better is a good quality MVB like an ARCADIA D3 MVB (it will provide heat and bright sunlike light , uvb ,and uba).

At her age she needs two live insect feeds per day + veg/greens/salad. Should not feed too close to when the heat and lights go off (minimum of 2 hours before OFF time).

What is you lighting schedule (hours on/off) ? I STRONGLY recommend at least 14hrs ON.

I'd cut back on the bathing .... beardies don't need regular bathing. Bath only
--- when soiled
--- when impacted
--- when too hot.

Hey it's been a while since I last posted on here about Loki and in that time I got a feacal screen done to make sure she is healthy. This is the first time I have done one since I got her which is like 3 to 4 months ago. The test came back saying I need to book an appointment at the Vets she has Morderate amounts of Coccidia and also says on there that the test was found positive to salmonella. I believe she had the parasite from when I purchased her as the store I went to wasn't a great pet store.. I'm booking a appointment today at a Herp Vets and will see what I need to do to make Loki better.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Glad she had a fecal done. Hopefully after treatment she'll feel much better :D . You can give her probiotics so when shes on her meds they wont give her a upset tummy.

ScottyB

Original Poster
destiny1998":28tprjji said:
Glad she had a fecal done. Hopefully after treatment she'll feel much better :D . You can give her probiotics so when shes on her meds they wont give her a upset tummy.

Ok so took her to the vets today she has Coccidia and Worms. The Vet gave Loki the treatment for worms and will get another one in 2 weeks. I have been given the treatment for Coccidia ready to start tomorrow for 3 days then hopfully she should be all cured.

I have taken out her bedding and replaced with news paper and most of her funiture apart from the basking area so I can keep clean. I have also steam cleaned all
Funiture and Viv and will carry this on till next Saturday and then put her Viv back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom