BEARDED DRAGON NEED HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought a baby bearded dragon about a week, ago he has a 2ft tank a powersun 100w mercury vapour bulb his temps are right (100f - 110f basking , cool side 80f) he was alert at first but has stopped eating his baby locusts but eats his waxworms and veggies ? He closes his eyes sometimes when i look at him or pick him up or sometimes while basking he is alert when i take him out and let him rome around, and is turning black stoney colour in the mornings ? please help :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

First off, what are you measuring your temps with? A digital with probe, a temp gun, or a dial stick on?
What uvb bulb do you have?

Waxworms should be fed only as treats. They are like a candy bar. You wouldn't feed a child candy bars everyday so you shouldn't do it to your dragon.

Is your dragon acting active or lethargic?

-Brandon

beardyman420

Original Poster
a digital probe yes.. and i have a powersun 100w uva + uvb in one but when he basks near it he sometimes closes his eyes or when i check up on him he will quickly close his eyes for a few seconds then open them again, he is kinda active when he isn't basking especially when he's out ! just seems to be acting a little weird he was also waving a lot ??

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":3o8ld3y9 said:
Hi there,

First off, what are you measuring your temps with? A digital with probe, a temp gun, or a dial stick on?
What uvb bulb do you have? this was in her very first sentence.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
lauraj1055":31isf9z6 said:
claudiusx":31isf9z6 said:
Hi there,

What uvb bulb do you have? this was in her very first sentence.

-Brandon

Ok? I didn't see it, OP already mentioned it again for me.... I don't see why its necessary to point it out after its already been said again.

How close can your baby get to the powersun?

Is he only dark in the morning when the lights first turn on? Then he brightens up after hes given time to warm up? Or is he dark all the time in his tank and only light when hes outside of his tank?

-Brandon

beardyman420

Original Poster
no worries.. and its about 5-6 inches away from the hottest basking point, and yeah he becomes more colourful within the day but still finds a warm spot and wont move much and closes his eyes

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
I would try moving the PowerSun a little further from him. I believe the reccomended distance for a PowerSun is at least 12", so that may be a part of him closing his eyes. It's a pretty strong bulb.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

You might just need to get rid of it if you can't keep it far enough away to prevent eye issues without it making things too cool.

You could just use a normal household bright white bulb for the basking bulb, than get a reptisun 10.0 tube or the arcadia 12% tube. These two bulbs have at least been proven to be safe and effective.

The Powersuns really shouldn't be that close.

-Brandon

Seven65

Juvie Member
You could try putting the powersun higher and supplementing with a CHE I have a big viv and my 150w bulb isn't enough to get the proper temperature, I supplement with a ceramic heater to up the all around temp.

beardyman420

Original Poster
ive put the powersun high up and now have a sun glo 75w for basking, starting to get worried now he isn't as active and will bulge his eyes sometimes and closes his eyes still dont no if there is a serious problem or im just getting paranoid

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Sounds like it could be an inner ear infection I think. Pretty sure this can be cleared up with some Baytril, but a vet visit is probably a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom