Bearded dragon mouth slightly cracked open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlin

Hi
So the past 3-4 days I’ve noticed my bearded dragons mouth is slightly cracked open. Everyone is telling me he is gaping. It does not look like gaping to me. He is still eating find and pooping fine but his mouth being slightly cracked open is worrying me. The closet exotic vet to me is almost 3 hours. So I called them to see what they said and they told me it is perfectly normal cause he gaping trying to regulate his body temperature. Like I said to me it does not look like gaping. He is still eating fine and pooping fine but he is hardly moving around. Here is a picture of him and thanks for any help you give.
109398-2646096293.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup with us a little bit, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting,
your supplementation type & schedule, temperatures, etc so we can try to pinpoint anything
that might need some adjusting?
It appears that his mouth wont or doesn't close properly but that could just be the way he is
laying. Does his mouth not close at all?
He could either be too hot, or another symptom of early metabolic bone disease developing
is misaligned jaws or not entirely closing the mouth, etc. How long has this been going on
for now?

Tracie

Poodlin

Original Poster
His tank setup is a 36”x12” tank for now. He has a 150 watt heat bulb which keeps it at around 105 degrees on the hot side and 75 degrees on the cold side. He also has a 10.0 coil UV bulb, but it is getting changed for a uv light either today or tomorrow. I’m hoping.

His feedings are crickets almost everyday powdered with Zoo meds reptivite. He gets the powder on crickets a few times a week. He also has the occasional mealworms/super worms as a snack. He also eats his fruit and veggies everyday. Sometimes 2 times a day.

His mouth will close normally but then it opens back up like in the picture. It also does that when he is awake in his cage, but it will close when I hold him til I put him back in his cage.

If it is MBD is there anything I can do for him? Please let me know.
Thanks

Poodlin

Original Poster
Here is another picture of the front of his mouth. Can you see the discoloration at the very too of the mouth? If so,is that mouth rot?
109398-8276503551.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What UVB are you getting to replace the coil? Brand and bulb please--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that is a T 8 fixture will work - get the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb to replace the one thats in the fixture its not very good make sure after replacing the bulb LEAVE the cover OFF do not put it back on - take the fixture hang it inside the tank you can use these
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers or this https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195 this stuff works really good its like Velcro strips --- wrap it around the fixture -- then after getting the fixture placed get your basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches

Poodlin

Original Poster
He likes chasing crickets and when he is chasing them he gets in full attack mode and hits his mouth off the cage when catching food. Could he maybe have injured his mouth? Like maybe but a lip or knocked out a tooth? Do they even have teeth?
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes they have teeth and they are sharp!!! And yes he could if hurt his mouth that way

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon today?
It is hard to determine from the picture but can he close his mouth completely, without it
having any space between it when closed?
He could have hurt his mouth if he bangs it on something, when chasing his food. Does he
bang his nose on his tank at all? It doesn't appear to be damaged though, so I doubt that
would be the issue.
As suggested, go ahead & replace the UVB light so that you are using the Reptisun 10 T8
tube bulb, for a better quality of UVB emissions. If you are concerned about a possible
respiratory infection coming on, you can keep him a little warmer overnight in his tank. A
good temperature would be between 75-80 overnight. Do you know what the humidity in
his tank is?

Tracie

Poodlin

Original Poster
Humidity is around 35. I have changed the lighting. He seems to be moving around more now. His mouth will go completely closed except the front of it. It will stay slightly cracked open. Yes he bangs his mouth/nose off the cage when he chases crickets and he hits pretty hard.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your humidity if fine -- I am wondering if hes just relaxing his mouth/ jaw -- mine does the same sometimes but he does not bang his mouth / or nose against the glass-- but I have seen Blaze do this at times -- is this all the time? or only at times? Signs of a RI are mucous out of the nose / mouth- wheezing breathing hard bubbles out of the mouth - anything like that?

Poodlin

Original Poster
He does not bang his mouth off the cage often although it has happened a few times. He will chase the crickets and catch them hitting his mouth off the sides of the cage in the process. I have not seen anything coming out of his mouth. I also listened to his breathing and did not hear any cracking or wheezing sounds. He is actually climbing on his branches now and moving around more but the front of his mouth is still cracked open.

Since I got that new light can I also keep the coil uv bulb along with it to give him more uv light or should I get rid of the coil light completely?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil all together-- someone else can weigh in on the open mouth thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom