bearded dragon lost his appetite!! please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,
Since the last time I posted about my beardie, Alfred, he has recovered greatly. He had suffered a bit with bad shedding and some MBD but we've working him and have taken care of him in the best way we can that he has recovered.He gained weight, color improved and would eat crickets like crazy!We tried feeding him some papaya, mango and some greens. He LOVED it all, especially the mustard greens but lately all that has changed.
Two weeks ago we took Alfred to the vet so that the doctor could examine a dark lump on Alfred's back. This lump was dark brown almost black and so was the skin around it. The dark skin however started to spread even though the lump remained the same size. The doctor mentioned that it was abscess and went ahead with the removal. He removed the puss that was inside the lump then managed to remove half of the abscess to clean the inside of it. He then gave us an antibiotic that also works as an anti-inflammatory and an anti-fungal and told us that with time the other half of the abscess would fall off which it did in about five days. It was after the removal of the abscess that his appetite had begun decreasing greatly. At first we thought that it was because his wound was fresh, but his appetite never seemed to get better. First, he lost all appetite for the collard and mustard greens and then he gave up on the crickets, and lastly he started to refuse to eat the vitamin supplement that we had started give him because the doctor prescribed it for the MBD (which he used to eat without a problem and had actually improved so well with his MBD). He now eats a cricket a day (as I was typing this he ate his first cricket in about 24 hours) and has become more lethargic and inactive.
We still try our best to give him the vitamin supplements and to feed him greens as well as crickets but he hardly has any interest in any of them if none at all. We bought super worms to add something new to his diet and to maybe spark up his interest. The first attempt scared him away but on the second day he actually ate one. After that however, he no longer seemed interested in them. His stool after eating the first one seemed odd and irregular but even then he pooped every day so, I don't think he's impacted.
He does have a morning routine however: every day after he wakes up he poops, drinks water then goes back to his blanket and that's that. That's his activity for the day. However, he does seem to be quite alert and active when we take him out of his tank to get some sun or just to be with us for a while. As soon as we return him to his tank, however, he immediately becomes lethargic and inactive again. Today, I checked the inside of this mouth and I noticed that it was quite pale compared to before when it was a nice pink.
I really don't know what to expect from this. I spoke the vet and he mentioned that Alfred might need oral antibiotics because he might have an internal abscess since we don't really know how he got the external abscess and that he could send out some of the stool to get tested for any parasites. But besides that we are confused and worried as to what to do so Alfred can eat again.
Any recommendations or suggestions? He's been like this for about a week...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Keep a close eye on his weight. I suggest using a probiotic such as bene-bac to replenish/maintain gut flora, especially if he goes on antibiotics. That may help him feel better and start eating after a little while.

rmelena127

Original Poster
I've been checking his weight, he has decreased quite a bit and is losing fat in his legs and tail... His mouth is now much more pale and has become extremely lethargic and lazy in general. He seems to have no energy left.. Even when we carry him.. We tried blending his greens so he can eat but he didn't really eat it.... We have all the different foods laid out for him in his tank but he's not interested in anything... Is there any other food that I could give him that is a bit liquidfied but that still has a bit of protein? Something like the vitamin supplement that we have?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So sorry to hear that Alfred isn't doing well again, he has been through so much.

As Cooper mentioned, giving a probiotic would be a good idea and you can actually give it daily to help with their appetite. My beardies always loved the Benebac gel (the type for reptiles/birds). You can read about it here: http://www.amazon.com/Bene-Bac%C2%AE-Bird-Reptile-4-Pack-tubes/dp/B00061MROU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407026632&sr=8-2&keywords=benebac+gel+for+reptiles

As far as another product that would be beneficial and help give him a boost, I have had good luck with this. It's a powder but you mix it with water.
http://www.amazon.com/Fluker-Labs-SFK73030-Insectivore-Supplement/dp/B000634CL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407026468&sr=8-1&keywords=flukers+repti+aid+insectivore%2Fcarnivore+emergency+aid

Since his mouth is so pale and he is lethargic, would be a good idea to have him tested for anemia and have other labs done too.

You probably already discussed this another time but could you fill us in on the type & brand of UVB you have, what the distance of it is and how old the bulb is? Also, what type of thermometer are you using and what are the tank temps?

Hope you can get him straightened out, poor thing and I know it is so hard on you going through all of this with him. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom