Bearded Dragon knocking on deaths door

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
i was reading, i think it said to force feed him meal worms, that is not good advice, meal worms have a lot of chittin in them and can be very hard to digest and cause impaction

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
phoenix worms, silkworms, superworms (if dragon is over 16"),butterworms, and hornworms are good worms. plus of course crickets and roaches. As for force feeding, baby food (turkey or chicken mixed with squash and slightly diluted with water) might be better to reduce chances of choking.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
I agree stay away from the mealies they are rough and have no nutritional value.Thanks for posting the med info.Baytril is generally the drug of choice for situations like this and hopefully it will clear things up.So did he get the second injection at the vets?You know when you go in for #3 ask him to show you how to do it because generally the injections can be prescribed to dose at hime so your not required to pay for additional vet visits should there be a next time.Try to extend the bath times if at all possible, 5 minutes isnt going to necessarily allow for a good enough.Maybe just try doing one long 20 minute soak daily instead.Is he doing better this evening?

spike046

Original Poster
He is fully aleart now, still not very active, so yes i will up his bath times. The shots only cost £5 a go, so not really breaking the wallet. Yes he had his second and now had his 3rd on monday

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
spike046":4fb93 said:
He is fully aleart now, still not very active, so yes i will up his bath times. The shots only cost £5 a go, so not really breaking the wallet. Yes he had his second and now had his 3rd on monday
Ok thats wonderful news!I am so happy to hear he is doing well. :mrgreen:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like Kane is making some great improvements. The Baytril injections seem to be helping a lot. Were you able to put him on probiotics too? What did you get? How much did he eat today? Did he have another poop since he passed the big one?

spike046

Original Poster
diamc":bfff7 said:
Sounds like Kane is making some great improvements. The Baytril injections seem to be helping a lot. Were you able to put him on probiotics too? What did you get? How much did he eat today? Did he have another poop since he passed the big one?

Not sure on what probiotics are, can you explain please? still having to force feed him, giving him one wax worm aday, i heard to many can be fatul? No more passing yet

Pleaides

Juvie Member
lol think everyone bypassed my post when i first said aboput mealies being a risk for impaction.
no wax worms are not fatal, however they are extremely fatty, my Mischief will only eat waxies! he does eat way to many than what he should but their like macdonalds to dragons, lol, why have something healthy when you can have fast food ay? lol

probiotics put goodness back into their systems from things like medication that not only destroys bad bacteria but also destroys their good gut flora, here in the uk we get little youghurt drinks and their probiotics, real good for you gut. theres a few that are really good for your dragons, they are benebac, avipro plus, reptiboost and theres a couple of others i cant remember of the top of my head.
keep us posted

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Benebac is a good probiotic.You can also use SOY yogurt(non dairy),acidopilliz,and bee pollen.I am not a fan of the avipro personally because I had a bad experience with it and it made one of my beardie worse rather then better.

spike046

Original Poster
Pleaides":38893 said:
lol think everyone bypassed my post when i first said aboput mealies being a risk for impaction.
no wax worms are not fatal, however they are extremely fatty, my Mischief will only eat waxies! he does eat way to many than what he should but their like macdonalds to dragons, lol, why have something healthy when you can have fast food ay? lol

probiotics put goodness back into their systems from things like medication that not only destroys bad bacteria but also destroys their good gut flora, here in the uk we get little youghurt drinks and their probiotics, real good for you gut. theres a few that are really good for your dragons, they are benebac, avipro plus, reptiboost and theres a couple of others i cant remember of the top of my head.
keep us posted

Yacoult stuff? yeah i seen them.

Anyway here i am proud to give us all probily the last update on here:)

Kane went for his 3rd and final jab yesterday, he wasnt to happy about going either!

When i got back from work last night i put him a good bit of salad in his bowl. Woke up this morning, he has done a massive poo, and all the salad was gone! He is wondering around his viv now, fully aleart and back to his normal self.

I guess i can say he is finally better:)

I want to thank everyone who has took intrest into this post and helped my little kane fully revive.
I will be using this forum alot more :)

Edit: The little yacoult drinks, how would i give him them?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh I am so happy he has improved.That really is wonderful and glad he is eating and doesnt seem to be having issues with the Baytril.I am not sure what you mean by yacoult drinks???

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, that's great news that Kane is so much better and eating like a good boy. I'll bet the 3rd injection was not a happy time at all for him. :( But, hopefully he won't need anymore.

I wasn't sure what you meant about the yacoult drinks either. :?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Just wanted to say how glad I am that Kane is doing so much better now! :D

Diane & Vicky......I was curious about the Yakult also. I looked it up...it is a Japanese probiotic drink and has supposedly been around for like 75 years. It's one of the top(sold) worldwide probiotics.

Here you go http://www.yakultusa.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom