Bearded Dragon knocking on deaths door

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok do you know what antibiotic he gave Kane and how much?Also did you turn off the uvb completely?If its the coil you should see some improvement in the next day or so.Since he got the meds you may want to try getting him on a probiotic as the meds can upset his tummy.You can give him a little SOY yogurt,bee pollen,or acidophilliz.Also you may want to pick him up some repta-aid from the pet store and give that to him to trt to keep his strength up.Is he eating at all?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, poor Kane. Sorry to hear that the vet appt didn't really give you any definitive answers. As Vicky asked, please let us know the name of the antibiotic injection that he gave today. Getting one of the probiotics too would be a good idea. I'm sure the whole vet experience was very hard on poor Kane and you too. Please be sure to keep him very well hydrated and even offer fluids that he will hopefully lick off on his own. How long has it been since he's eaten or pooped?

Were you able to get a digital thermometer with probe so you can find out what the temps are?

spike046

Original Poster
vickson420":29365 said:
Ok do you know what antibiotic he gave Kane and how much?Also did you turn off the uvb completely?If its the coil you should see some improvement in the next day or so.Since he got the meds you may want to try getting him on a probiotic as the meds can upset his tummy.You can give him a little SOY yogurt,bee pollen,or acidophilliz.Also you may want to pick him up some repta-aid from the pet store and give that to him to trt to keep his strength up.Is he eating at all?

I Dont know what antibiotic he give him, I imeaditely changed the coil bulb and went and brought a tube, im keeping that on 8 hours aday. The vet told me yesterday to force feed him a few meal worms, so i did that when i got back from work last night.

Anyway i just woke up, kane was sitting on his log, his puffy eyes seemes to have gone down a little and they are a little more open. His Beard is normal color again...i "Think/hope" he might be pulling threw!

spike046

Original Poster
Bringing some pritty great news guys!!!!

I checked kane a hour ago, he was sitting on his log, eyes wide open and fully aleart!
Pictures!

1000556drw.jpg

After seening he was ok, i give him a quick bath and massaged his belly...i was quite shocked with what he passed...
1000554n.jpg

Looks awfully brown and sludgey... any ideas guys?

1000558o.jpg

Any idea what these are? excuse the open vent, just passed all that in the above photo

1000559s.jpg

=)

Im so happy...I will still take him to the vets tomorrow to have another jab, just incase the problem is there still lingering.

causeascene203

Hatchling Member
I've been reading your thread and I just wanted to say that Kane looks a lot better now than he did in those first few photos! You did a great job with him. I hope he continues to improve!

(And those spots underneath are called femoral pores and perfectly normal- they can be more pronounced or less pronounced depending on the individual dragon. Males have larger and more noticeable femoral pores than females. In iguanas they are used for leaving behind pheromone scents to help attract a mate or to mark territory, but I'm unsure if they have the same use in bearded dragons.)

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Oh that is Wonderful News !
I am sooooo relieved that he is better ! And you too !
Hugs and warm thoughts for continued recovery !
Janie.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
wow thats soo good that hes doing so so much better but please be aware that mealworms have a hard chitin shell and can cause impaction if fed to large a mealie or given way too many, so as he may take a while for his bowels to resume normal movement be aware that mealies have no particular nutrition for them and can be very hard to digest.
keep us informed of any updates!

anny

spike046

Original Poster
Thanks guys, just got back from work, he seems pritty weak and less aleart again so i think a perscription of these anti-biotics may be required to give him a good kick start. Off to see the vet in the morning, hope all goes well

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
spike046":edbbd said:
Thanks guys, just got back from work, he seems pritty weak and less aleart again so i think a perscription of these anti-biotics may be required to give him a good kick start. Off to see the vet in the morning, hope all goes well
Glad to see there is improvement today.He may be lethargic again because of the antibiotics.Dont be so quick to get him another injection that may be tto much.Did you get him a probiotic for his tummy?While he is on the antibiotics make sure to continue daily baths too keep him hydrated.I know you said he is lethargic tonight,are his eyes still open?If the vet does give more meds try and find out the dosage and drug info for us,ok?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Kane looks much better. I suggest you go easy on any antibiotic treatments too. Perhaps even waiting until Monday, might be something to think about. The injections are much stronger than by mouth, so best to be cautious. And even though he got antibiotics by injection, it's still very important to give him probiotics. Do you have any on hand? If so, which one? If you don't have one, you could even get some soy yogurt, that wil help. And by all means, make sure he is well hydrated as Vicky mentioned, that's very important. I'm wondering too, if he still has his eyes open. Has his beard darkened at all? He has been through so much, he may have bouts of higher activity levels but tire out easily. Be sure to keep us updated.

spike046

Original Poster
Hi guys, finally getting some results, the vet is 90% sure now after he passed that horrid brown stuff it is a infection somewhere in the digestion system, however after a check over, it is definatly clearing up.

Kane is still pritty aleart but not very energetic. He is still well dyrated, i have been bathing him for 5 minutes twice aday.

The injections been given are called "Baytril" and is given 2.5ml's. We have another appointment monday, for a checkup and possibly another shot depending on his condition :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom