Bearded Dragon knocking on deaths door

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike046

Original Poster
vickson420":63bc1 said:
Generally it can be caused by low temps or high humidity in the enclosure.Also prolonged exposure to the cold can do it as well.It does however happen at times with no explicable reason.Can I ask what your tank temps are?How and where are you measuring them?How long do you leave the lights on for?

well it used to be 84 during night time, left on all night, then 92 during the day with uv on for 8 hours, but a member told me earlyer that it was pritty low and should have it atleast 115 during the day and high 80's at night. So soon as i got that infomation that was put into action. I measure them using do dial like thermomitors, one on the basking spot and one in his cool spot.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh gee, I guess the discussion of the thermometers hadn't come up before. :oops: Any type of stick-on can be off by as much as 20 degrees. All your stick-on thermometers are doing is measuring the side of the glass temp, so the basking temp has to be MUCH higher. The only 2 ways to get good readings are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. A basking temp of 115 is too high and can cause rapid dehydration. We don't recommend a basking temp any higher than 110 and that's for a baby, adults prefer it cooler. What size tank is it and what wattage basking bulb are you using?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
diamc":2c91e said:
Oh gee, I guess the discussion of the thermometers hadn't come up before. :oops: Any type of stick-on can be off by as much as 20 degrees. All your stick-on thermometers are doing is measuring the side of the glass temp, so the basking temp has to be MUCH higher. The only 2 ways to get good readings are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. A basking temp of 115 is too high and can cause rapid dehydration. We don't recommend a basking temp any higher than 110 and that's for a baby, adults prefer it cooler. What size tank is it and what wattage basking bulb are you using?
I agree here.What your doing with 115F air temp is creating a much higher basking surface temp then required.Go get a probe thermometer which is fairly inexpensive and lay it directly on the basking surface and shoot for temps 105-110.If your in 95f-110F your ok though.Anything higher or lower can cause issues.Also I want to add cool side air temp during the day should be 75-80f and they do need a cool down at night so as long as temps dont fall below 65F normally you are fine but because he is ill dont let it go below 70F.Your no using any type of heat mats or heat rocks are you?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the basking bulb colored or white? What is the wattage and what size is the tank? I'm sorry if you already answered those questions. Just trying to not leave anything out.

spike046

Original Poster
diamc":09b5b said:
Is the basking bulb colored or white? What is the wattage and what size is the tank? I'm sorry if you already answered those questions. Just trying to not leave anything out.

Its a 3ft by 1.5ft viv, its colored red, 70W if i rememeber right, ill be able to answer more questions in the morning, leave them for me to read when i wake up.

thanks again for all the support guys!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for answering. The red bulbs are actually hard on their eyes. They do much better with bright white bulbs, increases their activity level, etc. If you think it's a 70 watt, perhaps changing to a 75 watt household light bulb would make a difference too. Or even a 60 watt perhaps, it depends on how high the basking platform is.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow, hope you can get some good, encouraging news.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
I just read some of the first page and then skipped here. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and I just wanted to stay updated on Kane.

In my prayers,
Haley

Signious

I have been following the conversation quietly, But would Like to add an extra good luck at the Vet - I hope you find out what is wrong and that Kane has a speedy recovery

Best of luck

Signious

PS - keep us posted on the results :?

spike046

Original Poster
Changed Basking light to a 75W house bulb (clear) Things still havnt cleared up any.

Its the first day of using his UV light, he managed to walk over to his basking spot.

vet appointment is in about 2 hours, he still hasnt eaten or passed anything.

Out of intrest, previously at a vet appointment, the vet said its not good for a bearded dragon to have more then 4 anti-biotic jabs in his life time, it can cause more problems if he has to many then what were trying to put right, is this correct?

spike046

Original Poster
Double post, shoot me lol

Just got back from vet, the vet seems to think it is...
>Either Related to the previous incedent (however he said its cleared up fine)
>A Heart Problem
>A Tumor
>Or just a cold virus
>(hopes it was the UV Coil bulb that caused it)

He doesnt think its...
> RI
> Constepated

Overall, it was a very poor visit to the vets, im no further forward then i was when i went. He also said that if you leave him so just sit in his viv while he is ill could cause more damage and i have to get him abit more active if i can...

Kane was given a anti-biotic injection, and has another arranged for friday. He also said we may have to concidor a x-ray/MRI scan for a more accurate diognosis. In my personal opinion, i hope it is a RI so we dont have to go into that, and that the injections will clear him up.

The vet checked his mouth, and couldnt see any problems there. There was a little saliver, but not much at all, just to confirm that he isnt dehydrated.

Fingers crossed, the news paper substrate, new UV tube and a shot of anti-biotics will give kane a kick up the backside and get him to his normal self again.

The vet also did say that we may have to take into concidoration that, if the worst comes to it and he shows no sign of improving that we may have to put him to sleep. :(

Here are a few resent pics i took after we got back from the vet. Notice after the anti-biotic jab his beard turns jet black again.

1000549g.jpg

1000550kqt.jpg

1000551s.jpg

1000552g.jpg

1000553w.jpg

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh my...i really hope for both your sakes that its something that can be treated.
me and my clan will be wishing you all the luck in the world!

snowdrop

Juvie Member
Hi was just reading your post there, how is kane doing? I'm looking after a sick dragon but he is underweight but getting there. I really hope he improves. has he gone to the toilet recently, did you try olive oil or unsweetened applesauce to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom