Bearded Dragon knocking on deaths door

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Here are a few other sites that also carry the Arcadia 12%, that one of our other members from the UK uses. Two of the sites also carry the Reptisun 10, but from what I have read the Arcadia is actually equal too, if not better than the Reptisun and is generally cheaper over there for you!

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=984
http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/arcadia-d3-12-rept-lamp-18w-24in-fd3p18-1679-p.asp
http://reptilekeeping.net/arcadia-reptile-lamp-2434-watts-p-2541.html

On a side note....if you do plan on using carpet, make sure it is reptile carpet and not indoor/outdoor carpet you would use for your home. The reptile carpet is smoother and washable, where as an indoor/outdoor carpet or fake grass carpet has too much texture and would be harder to keep clean.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok so it looks like you got all the needed info about the uvb you needed.You said his eyes are tearing?Shut off the UVB now just in case its photokeratitis.If it is you will see an improvement with eyes and keeping them open in a day or two.There is one other thing I need to rule out,does he have mucous anywhere else like his mouth or nostrils?Does he seem to be wheezing,clicking and labored breathing?The thing is this could also be an RI but without actually holding him and seeing him I just dont know.I think it would be a very good idea to get him to a vet soon if not for anything else but to rule this out and get the needed meds.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hey
you have got some fantastic advise here. did you get him to the vet? im from the uk too and livefood.co.uk are very reliable, quite cheap and quick delivery too. how is your little guy?
will be standing by for updates...

spike046

Original Poster
Hey guys, heres a little update.

Before i went to work i went and brought a UV 10.0 strip light and fittings, i just got back from work, installed it and works great.

However its nighttime here now, so uv is off until the morning.

He still has tear'y eyes
i cant see mucus, just a watery mouth.
He still isnt moving around his viv much
Still isnt eating
Still hasnt passed any waste.

Ive removed the sand and replaced it with news paper for now until i can get my hands on material grass.
His Jet black beard isnt as black now, but is still abit grey.
His eyes are still really puffy and weeping, i try and clean the little guys up by gently absorbing the tears with cotton swabs.

He is booked into the vets tomorrow at 12:00pm fingers crossed we can get some answers there.

He isnt weezing, clicking, however he does seem to stop breathing and become litterly lifeless, almost like he has died, for about 10 seconds, then he takes a gasp of air and recovers.

No one local has resently use any chemicals or garden enhancers of any kind, i called 20 houses either side of my own.

Fingers crossed he will pull threw after a few trips to vet and a new uv tube.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does sound like he has an upper respiratory infection and at least irritation from the previous UVB. Since his eyes are still puffy and weepy, I suggest you turn the Repti-Sun off to try to help his eyes rest and the new UVB could even irritate them more right now. Good that you have a vet appt, please update us as soon as you can. We will be thinking about him and hoping he can have a speedy recovery.

One more thing I wanted to mention, if you have any saline solution, the type used for eye flushing, you could use that. We have recommended it quite often when beardies eyes are affected from UVB lighting and it really has helped them improve.

spike046

Original Poster
diamc":22233 said:
It does sound like he has an upper respiratory infection and at least irritation from the previous UVB. Since his eyes are still puffy and weepy, I suggest you turn the Repti-Sun off to try to help his eyes rest and the new UVB could even irritate them more right now. Good that you have a vet appt, please update us as soon as you can. We will be thinking about him and hoping he can have a speedy recovery.

Thanks, what is a upper respiratory infection? Breathing?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, an upper respiratory infection can affect their breathing, eyes, sinuses, ears, just like us humans.

Did you read what I wrote about the saline solution?

spike046

Original Poster
diamc":c76b0 said:
Yes, an upper respiratory infection can affect their breathing, eyes, sinuses, ears, just like us humans.

Right, So basicly the little guy has a cold =x?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I agree with Diane turn off the UVB for a few days to allow his eyes to heal should that be the case however I also agree its most sounds like an RI(respiratory infection) so its a very good thing that you are getting her to the vet.As Diane said it will effect lungs,eyes,lethargy,etc.Basically its an infection within the lungs that require antibiotic to clear up.Not a cold think of it more like pnuemonia or bronchitis.Its actually quite serious with beardies and requires medical intervention in order for them to recover.

spike046

Original Poster
vickson420":bc3d3 said:
I agree with Diane turn off the UVB for a few days to allow his eyes to heal should that be the case however I also agree its most sounds like an RI(respiratory infection) so its a very good thing that you are getting her to the vet.As Diane said it will effect lungs,eyes,lethargy,etc.Basically its an infection within the lungs that require antibiotic to clear up.Not a cold think of it more like pnuemonia or bronchitis.Its actually quite serious with beardies and requires medical intervention in order for them to recover.

Awww, do you know what can actually cause it? appart from the UV?

EDIT: its 11:30 hours until his appointment

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Generally it can be caused by low temps or high humidity in the enclosure.Also prolonged exposure to the cold can do it as well.It does however happen at times with no explicable reason.Can I ask what your tank temps are?How and where are you measuring them?How long do you leave the lights on for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom