Bearded Dragon Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

melly90

Hey guys, i'm talking hypothetically here but when I'm outside getting some natural sunlight with my beardy I always wonder what would happen if he ran away, and whether or not if he had some sort of identification it would help to bring him back.

Now without anyone getting their undies in a twist with the NOTION, is there any development of a bearded dragon collar/harness that can help to identify an escaped captive dragon without restricting the dragons UV intake or endangering entanglement.

Microchipping comes to mind but it does not help to differentiate a captive from a wild beardy, and most people are not educated on the difference between a central and an eastern (if you live in Australia and they are everywhere like I do)

Thoughts?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, you can get an animal microchipped but it might be a little difficult on such a small animal though. I would look into getting a little leash for him. A lot of people use them & they do not interfere with the UVB exposure & most of the dragons don't mind having a leash on. That would greatly diminish your chances of him running off if he got scared.
Do you have a Central or an Eastern dragon? LUCKY YOU that you get to see wild dragons all of the time. Where you live you probably mostly see the Easterns though.

Tracie

melly90

Original Poster
Hello Drache,

Thank for your reply, a leash sounds interesting, is it just harnesses or do they have beardy collars? That would be useful! And if I can guiltily say, it would be cute.

Otherwise a harness would be a good investment when he fills out a little, thanks!

cjhab24

I know my dog has a tiny tattoo on her leg. It looks like a bar code, and they scan that if she ever gets lost and all her info comes up. I don't know if that's possible with a beardie.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I have talked about this idea with a good friend of mine.
We talked about tats for Id on dragons. But how do you tat an animal that sheds?? It would have to be so deep it would wound. At least thats how I see it.
Chips get smaller every year. I think thats the way the industry will go.

gogga

Juvie Member
The metal bracelett (Ring on ancle) sounds GR8

Just a quick question... If their legs grow in thickness, wont it constrict bloodflow if you "TAG" your BD at a young age? :?:
Suppose then you'll have to replace it a few times till he/she is an adult.

Then again if you make it a bit bigger to allow for groth, wont it slip off as I've seen my BD straighten his legs/feet so they look like sticks? :?:

Suppose then you'll have to replace it a few times till he/she is an adult. But this one seems to be a good option, as it can not be removed easilly if someone gets the BD and wants to make identification more difficult , Hmmmmmm

Well thats my 2 cents.... He he

melly90

Original Poster
gogga":2fhwcom5 said:
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Here in SA, they sell beardie necklaces online

http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/index.php?cPath=93

I myself have a harness.
Ones that work good for smaller BD's are the marmosset harness and the hamster harness

Monique

Necklaces! I had a laugh at that, but I am also intrigued!
And I am looking up hamster harnesses now, thank you :)

I wonder if with these necklaces a small tag could be attached like on a cat collar. That would be perfect! I suppose you couldn't use metal as it would get too hot during basking. Hmm

Barcode is interesting, but I don't believe you can actually tattoo scales. It would damage the skin too much during tattooing and would end up mottled and probably do more harm then good. Maybe on a larger lizard on the soft underside but even then..

Freeie

Extreme Poster
We use the harnesses when ever we take one outside. When they are small we used this kind. (iguana harness) They come in small med and large and even extra large. This one can get snug so they cant wiggle out of it great for those little buggars who like to try and get away.

41slqAvv42L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

When they get bigger we use this kind.(ferret harness) You can make this one pretty small and big to fit your beardies body type. You could even attach a tag to where the leash actually hooks onto the harness. Ive tried at least 6 diffrent kinds and for my adults this one seams to be pretty comfy for them and it has 2 snaps on the belly part for easy on and off.

p_31417_41222P_005_ferret.jpg

gogga

Juvie Member
Yeah those are the ones we get here too.

The
is called the marmosset harness here, looks like this
SNC00258.jpg

and the ferret one is divided up into two types in SA,

called hamster harness
harness.jpg
(Really small for younger BD's

and the Rabbit harness (Larger)
images

gogga

Juvie Member
Yeah those are the ones we get here too.

The
is called the marmosset harness here, looks like this
SNC00258.jpg

and the ferret one is divided up into two types in SA,

called hamster harness
harness.jpg
(Really small for younger BD's

and the Rabbit harness (Larger)
images

The necklace I mentioned looks like this
BlackClearNecklace.jpg

Neck-Red.jpg

PearlygGreenNecklace.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Actually all beardies come with identification...think about it each and everyone has unique markings, colorings, something that could help you to pick them out from anyothers. I mean I could put mine into a room full of beardies and still beable to pick each of them out even if there are many that are similar in looks. Find you beardies uniqueness and photograph it. For instance....

Ms. Tiggs has a smiley face at the base of her neck and a jewel on hear snout.
DSC01058-1.jpg

See the raised white spot between her eyes?
DSC02764.jpg

Here's one for you Tom. :lol:
RD her side bars look as if she's been tattooed...henceforth RD. :lol:
Looks almost like an anchor infront of the RD. :lol:
Oh and she has one clear nail the middle toe of left hand.
DSC00526.jpg

An a very unique throat...
DSC01345-1.jpg

Sometimes its a combination of things that you could use for identifying...You just need to know your beardie :wink: And take pic's so you can prove it's your beardie if found by someone.
However precautions such as leashes are the safest bet.

I could post of all mine and how I could identify them but that would add an entire page to this thread. :lol:

melly90

Original Poster
fresnowitte":3t6xaphb said:
Actually all beardies come with identification...think about it each and everyone has unique markings, colorings, something that could help you to pick them out from anyothers. I mean I could put mine into a room full of beardies and still beable to pick each of them out even if there are many that are similar in looks. Find you beardies uniqueness and photograph it. For instance....

Ms. Tiggs has a smiley face at the base of her neck and a jewel on hear snout.
DSC01058-1.jpg

See the raised white spot between her eyes?
DSC02764.jpg

HAHA fresnowitte the smiley is amazing.

Perhaps I should specify by identification, I mean to the simple neighborhood person who may spot a random bearded dragon and not know if it was a pet or a wild animal, hence collars/harnesses etc;

My beardy has orange spikes and yellow legs when he's in a good mood, a bit of a mix which is interesting! It's coming out alot more as he has grown :)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Perhaps I should specify by identification, I mean to the simple neighborhood person who may spot a random bearded dragon and not know if it was a pet or a wild animal, hence collars/harnesses etc;
:oops: My bad! :lol:
I guess since I'm always attached to my beardies when outside and not in the safety of their outdoor enclosure I did not think of that :oops: ...neighbors???...plus I don't even have neighbors if my got loose the hawks would most likely get them. An if they did get loose on me I'd never beable to catch them out here in the farmland with all these dirt clods and grapevines...there would be no finding them. :(

Okay with your new specification I say the bling. :lol: Or you could do like Deborah(SweetiePie9) she has a little bell on a bright red ribbon that she puts on hers. That also helps to know where they are when roaming in the house. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom