Bearded dragon health problems/not eating greens

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
Apologies in advance for the huge post/ramble/I’m also nee to this forum - I got my bearded dragon, Pablo last November from a selling site. I was told he was 10 mths old. He didn’t eat greens and was mostly being fed morio worms and locusts. His enclosure was too small so I bought him a bigger one and also upgraded the UVB/heat lamp. Since then it’s been an uphill battle with him. He refuses to eat greens and I’ve tried everything. It’s not an appetite issue because of you offer him morio worms he will eat them. He will eat Dubias which is the main feeder insect I feed him. His weight has fluctuated between 460 - 490 but he’s currently back down to 465g. Is his weight normal? I have had him tested for Adenovirus which was negative. He’s been treated for parasites several times. He’s had blood tests done which the vet said were ok. I’ve tried not offering him bugs at all and just leaving him to eat the greens every day but end up giving in because he just will not eat any greens. He even shakes his head or nuts the floor when you try to give him some. I’ve tried sneaking greens in his mouth when he goes to eat a bug but then that defeats the object of him not having bugs all of the time! At the moment I try to syringe feed him Repashy beardie buffet with blended greens along with normal feeds to try to make sure he get some nutrition…I sometimes have to open his mouth slightly to get him to have some and I don’t like to do this as it stresses him out. I dust his live food and greens with Arcadia calcium supplement or multi vitamin.

The vet said the inside of his mouth is yellow which could indicate a liver problem - but I read that the yellow inside of the mouth is fine? Just for reference the vet said that he can absorb water through us cloaca from the bath which I know is not true. He’s not dehydrated as he drinks from a huge water bowl all of the time. I bathe him most days. He gets intermittent diarrhoea which is not caused by parasites. I don’t trust my vets advice as she didn’t even know the correct enclosure temps/basking temps. There’s not really another vet I can get to nearby and I’m just at a loss really what to do with him or what the problem could be. Other than these problems, he’s very active and seems happy. Is there something wrong with my husbandry? This is the first bearded dragon I’ve had but I did a lot of research beforehand and I don’t know what else I could be doing wrong. I have 3 leopard geckos who are happy and healthy…I know that’s not the same as husbandry/diet is different but just wanted to add so you know I’m not a complete beginner with reptiles. I’m just so upset because I love Pablo so much and I want him to be ok. Can anyone help please? I put all the details of my husbandry on my profile.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Oh I feel your pain! My little bugger is keeping me awake at night with worry. Won't eat her greens. I adopted her in August and she is now 21 months old. Just finished meds for entamoeba. Wants only dubia roaches and hornworms......... I will start syringe feeding tomorrow so maybe she can bite my thumb again........

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
Hello,

It is funny how some are shy & stop eating when they see you watching them, while others don't
mind & eat anyway!
They are all truly unique & have different personalities. Pablo sounds fabulous!

Tracie
He really is 🥰 I wish my house wasn’t so tiny as I’d love to just rescue bearded dragons and other reptiles. I see so many on selling sites without proper care/equipment and honestly makes me cry! One of my geckos Freddy, was from a selling site and he was 25g, stick thin and wouldn’t eat at all. Took 6 months to rehabilitate him but he eats everything now! I’m hoping Pablo will get to that point. I just worried a lot as he’s the only beardie I’ve ever had whereas I know what to do with geckos! I’ll get some pics of him and his set up on here over the next week. I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to forums so I’m still getting used to how this all works 😂

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
Oh I feel your pain! My little bugger is keeping me awake at night with worry. Won't eat her greens. I adopted her in August and she is now 21 months old. Just finished meds for entamoeba. Wants only dubia roaches and hornworms......... I will start syringe feeding tomorrow so maybe she can bite my thumb again........
I’ll have to look up entamoeba…I hadn’t heard of that one! I’m so glad I found this forum as it’s helped me to worry less because it seems from all your replies this greens thing is common and he will be ok eventually! Not to sound dramatic but I’ve actually cried some days as Ive worried so much about Pablo. They’re our little babies 🥹🥰 Hope your little girl gets on ok with the syringe feeding 💜

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
A little update…Pablo has actually eaten some dandelion leaves this afternoon - only a small amount but it’s a step in the right direction! He’s also done a solid poo 🥳 Never thought I’d be so happy to see a poo 😂

jabda

Hatchling Member
I've had that problem not eating veggies. I stopped the bugs and gave only fresh salad. When he got hungry, he ate. Their not going to die. Only took about 10 days.
Don't let them train you!
Now I feed bugs in the morning and veggies in the evening and he licks the plate clean.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Oh we all forgot to mention that lol. CAN'T let them see you watching them eat greens!!!! They'll stop every time. (I used to try to watch Zen through the mirror in the curio cabinet lol)
This is the most true statement I’ve seen all day, Leo won’t eat so much as a single green if you’re in the same room as him. And since he’s more lazy thanks to brumation, he won’t get up to go to his bowl now. He’ll only eat his greens if I put the bowl in front of him!

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
This is the most true statement I’ve seen all day, Leo won’t eat so much as a single green if you’re in the same room as him. And since he’s more lazy thanks to brumation, he won’t get up to go to his bowl now. He’ll only eat his greens if I put the bowl in front of him!
I’ve had Pablo since last November and no signs of brumation. Should I be worried about that? I read that some avoid it all together or will it be something he does when he’s a bit older maybe. It’s Winter here in the U.K. and he’s still as active as ever, diving round like a lunatic most days 😂

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
I've had that problem not eating veggies. I stopped the bugs and gave only fresh salad. When he got hungry, he ate. Their not going to die. Only took about 10 days.
Don't let them train you!
Now I feed bugs in the morning and veggies in the evening and he licks the plate clean.
He’s had no bugs for the last couple of days so I will keep going with that then 😊

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I’ve had Pablo since last November and no signs of brumation. Should I be worried about that? I read that some avoid it all together or will it be something he does when he’s a bit older maybe. It’s Winter here in the U.K. and he’s still as active as ever, diving round like a lunatic most days 😂
Not a problem. Each dragon is different, and yours might just not be the brumating type.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yup that sounds par for the course lol

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom