Bearded dragon health problems/not eating greens

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
Apologies in advance for the huge post/ramble/I’m also nee to this forum - I got my bearded dragon, Pablo last November from a selling site. I was told he was 10 mths old. He didn’t eat greens and was mostly being fed morio worms and locusts. His enclosure was too small so I bought him a bigger one and also upgraded the UVB/heat lamp. Since then it’s been an uphill battle with him. He refuses to eat greens and I’ve tried everything. It’s not an appetite issue because of you offer him morio worms he will eat them. He will eat Dubias which is the main feeder insect I feed him. His weight has fluctuated between 460 - 490 but he’s currently back down to 465g. Is his weight normal? I have had him tested for Adenovirus which was negative. He’s been treated for parasites several times. He’s had blood tests done which the vet said were ok. I’ve tried not offering him bugs at all and just leaving him to eat the greens every day but end up giving in because he just will not eat any greens. He even shakes his head or nuts the floor when you try to give him some. I’ve tried sneaking greens in his mouth when he goes to eat a bug but then that defeats the object of him not having bugs all of the time! At the moment I try to syringe feed him Repashy beardie buffet with blended greens along with normal feeds to try to make sure he get some nutrition…I sometimes have to open his mouth slightly to get him to have some and I don’t like to do this as it stresses him out. I dust his live food and greens with Arcadia calcium supplement or multi vitamin.

The vet said the inside of his mouth is yellow which could indicate a liver problem - but I read that the yellow inside of the mouth is fine? Just for reference the vet said that he can absorb water through us cloaca from the bath which I know is not true. He’s not dehydrated as he drinks from a huge water bowl all of the time. I bathe him most days. He gets intermittent diarrhoea which is not caused by parasites. I don’t trust my vets advice as she didn’t even know the correct enclosure temps/basking temps. There’s not really another vet I can get to nearby and I’m just at a loss really what to do with him or what the problem could be. Other than these problems, he’s very active and seems happy. Is there something wrong with my husbandry? This is the first bearded dragon I’ve had but I did a lot of research beforehand and I don’t know what else I could be doing wrong. I have 3 leopard geckos who are happy and healthy…I know that’s not the same as husbandry/diet is different but just wanted to add so you know I’m not a complete beginner with reptiles. I’m just so upset because I love Pablo so much and I want him to be ok. Can anyone help please? I put all the details of my husbandry on my profile.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Trina, so Pablo is about 16 months or so now ? Refusing greens is common for dragons, especially fast growers who are large and were fed too many insects. I know you are frustrated + worried but the best thing to do is just feed a bare minimum of 1-2 insects about twice a week but keep offering the greens. It's good that he drinks so he won't get dehydrated. Be patient, it may not happen quickly but it's for the best.
Post some pics of Pablo and his enclosure, including the lights, always good to see all these things.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My big male is 4 in December. He only started eating his greens most days in the last 6 to 8 months, it can be a struggle.
Some varieties of beardies naturally have a yellow mouth (inside) so that is likely normal. If he drinks out of a dish, your a leg up, most won't. Please only give baths if he actually needs it. To many is not good for them.
Your absolutely right about not absorbing water. They have to drink to be hydrated. That is one of the worst pieces of misinformation floating around.
You could try offering hornworms (put them on top of his greens. The buggers stick to EVERYTHING. He should go crazy for them, most do. He'll get some greens that way.)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree the yellow mouth is normal for some beardies and not a problem. Almost all wild Eastern dragons have the yellow mouth and some of our central/inland dragons do as well.
I wouldn't go with the hornworms to get Pablo eating salad, beardies are expert at grabbing what they want and flinging the rest to oblivion. :)
Plus that can add to his current diarrhea problem.

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
Thanks so much for your replies! 😊 Do you think his weight is ok for his age? He’s roughly 18 months…I can’t know how accurate that is though as I was told he was ‘about’ 10 mths when I got him. He’s 465g at present and 21inches nose to tail. He does seem to be on the skinny side and I worry that not giving him bugs when he’s refusing the greens will cause him to lose more weight? Should I keep persevering as I am with the offering fresh greens daily but then syringe feed slurry of greens to supplement and make sure he’s actually eating?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Pablo is like a lot of them, in the fact that he is very stubborn with eating his greens. As already
mentioned, keep trying & encouraging him to eat greens & use a good variety for him. Limiting his
bug intake definitely helps so when he gets hungry enough he will start eating more vegetation.
It can really be frustrating, so try to be patient. You can try adding some minced up bell peppers for
color, or thinly sliced squash mixed in with his greens.

Tracie

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
Hello,

Pablo is like a lot of them, in the fact that he is very stubborn with eating his greens. As already
mentioned, keep trying & encouraging him to eat greens & use a good variety for him. Limiting his
bug intake definitely helps so when he gets hungry enough he will start eating more vegetation.
It can really be frustrating, so try to be patient. You can try adding some minced up bell peppers for
color, or thinly sliced squash mixed in with his greens.

Tracie
Thank you Tracie 😊 I definitely feel a lot more reassured by all the replies I’ve received and I’ll just keep plodding on with the greens. He’s eaten a tiny bit this morning…although when he saw me looking he stopped haha! I’ll just make sure to leave the room when I give him his greens from now on so he can’t see me 😂

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
Oh we all forgot to mention that lol. CAN'T let them see you watching them eat greens!!!! They'll stop every time. (I used to try to watch Zen through the mirror in the curio cabinet lol)
😂 it’s good to know Pablo isn’t the only one! So funny how they’ve all got their different personalities…2 of my geckos are happy to scoff their bugs from my hand or whatever but one of them snatches the bug and then runs away to hide to eat it then comes back out when he wants another one haha! Then Pablo is sneaky with the greens but he’ll eat bugs out of your hand all day if you let him lol!

TrinaTrogg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pablo
My guys aren't shy, they munch down their greens usually as soon as I put them in their tank. :)
I hope I can get Pablo to this point one day. I see loads of vids of people’s dragons scoffing their greens off in one go and I have to say I’m jealous 😂 I put the greens in the tank and he sticks his nose in the air and walks off haha!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
My guys aren't shy, they munch down their greens usually as soon as I put them in their tank. :)
Your lucky, only 1 out of 5 of mine really eats them with me watching (Snicker Doodles) but she is a lizard 🦎 garbage disposal and will eat just about anything anytime lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
😂 it’s good to know Pablo isn’t the only one! So funny how they’ve all got their different personalities…2 of my geckos are happy to scoff their bugs from my hand or whatever but one of them snatches the bug and then runs away to hide to eat it then comes back out when he wants another one haha! Then Pablo is sneaky with the greens but he’ll eat bugs out of your hand all day if you let him lol!
Yup sounds like a normal dragon 🐉 to me lol 😆

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom