Bearded Dragon Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi beardeddragon.org

I'm afraid my beardy Junior will not be seeing any vets soon :cry: His infected foot is getting worst and his tail is rotting slowly...My mom has gone to the point in which she absolutely DOES NOT want to go to the vet...She obviously has a passion for dogs than reptiles....Nobody in my family does :( I heard that infections can affect his vital organs leading to death....:( We have run out of antibiotics for him... He already lost 2 toes during this case and it looks like one more is going to die off... :cry: I'm trying all I can right now, but I'm afraid his fate might be sealed and he's on the verge to death without a vet...all I can do is watch and cherish these precious, limited days with my beardy... I will make a promise to get another beardy when I will have the responsibility and time to take care of one....until then, I will take care of Junior all I can with my heart.

By, Roxasnriku

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hi, im so sorry your parents wont help this animal. it is against the law to deny a sick animal medical treatment, let alone immoral.

i would try appealing to your parents again; tell them how cruel it is to let an animal die of something preventable.

you are a kid and emergency vet bills shouldnt be your responsibility. it is wrong for your parents to put this terrible burden on your shoulders.

i would show this page to them, let them know that what they think is acceptable is actually illegal and wrong.

if they still decide to let him die, i am so sorry. i would also not get any more non-dog pets untill your parents learn respect for life.

p.s. your doing great giving this poor little guy love and im sorry things are going this way. just make sure you make him as safe and comfortable as possible:

no sand or partical substrates. use towell or paper towell instead for now.

proper heat and lighting; make sure hes got a hot and cool side.

regular baths: at least once a day, give him a soak in semi-warm water.

night time temps; if it gets around 60-65F at night, get him a ceramic heat emmiter.

i wish you and your little one all the luck in the world :| .

MissT

BD.org Addict
I apologise if this sounds insensitive but it is just an idea. Its obvious you love your little guy and want the best for him. Could you perhaps surrender him to a reptile shelter (if there are any in the area) or to the reptile vet in your area? Or even ask on here if anyone in your area/close by could take him in? It may just give him a better chance at beating this...

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
thats true, we do have a reptile rescue train. do you live in the united states?

here is a link to the map. it shows were everyone is located on the rescue routes:
http://www.communitywalk.com/bearded_dragon_train/bearded_dragon_train/map/233871

like MissT said, he doesnt necessarily have to die from this. if you can find a shelter around you who treats& rehabilitates sick animals(not just euthanizes them), then i would consider that option.

again, i wish you luck :wink: .

MissT

BD.org Addict
jscott":366e4 said:
thats true, we do have a reptile rescue train. do you live in the united states?

here is a link to the map. it shows were everyone is located on the rescue routes:
http://www.communitywalk.com/bearded_dragon_train/bearded_dragon_train/map/233871

like MissT said, he doesnt necessarily have to die from this. if you can find a shelter around you who treats& rehabilitates sick animals(not just euthanizes them), then i would consider that option.

I should have mentioned the reptile rescue train!!! Really, if you can get a 'train' set up, there may be a number of bd.org members who could take him in!!

Im not sure if you have posted on here previously but has anyone suggested using betadine to cleanse his wounds?? It may help him until you can get something sorted out for him. Definitely look into the rescue train and the shelter ideas!! I know you will do your best for him!

Good luck!

T

RoxasnRiku

Original Poster
Update!!!
It looks like I really don't have a choice but to stick with Junior til the end. My mother apparently doesn't have the time to look into shelters... :( She says that "If he dies, he dies", and it really broke my heart hearing that :(....I've been hearing a lot of people saying that I should get Junior "amputated" so the infection would'nt spread more...Please tell me your opinions...

MissT

BD.org Addict
I honestly think if this infection is spreading you need to look into some other option for him. If your mom is not prepared to take him to the vet then how will these amputations be performed? If this is your mom's opinion then your little guy could well suffer a slow and painful death which just is not fair! If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? Have you no way to sort this yourself - take him to a vet or shelter to surrender him yourself? I urge you to think about finding a new home for him, really think about asking another member here to take him in.

I hope this doesnt come across as harsh... im just trying to think what I would do if I were in the same position!

RoxasnRiku

Original Poster
I'm only 13 and I really don't have any money on me :( I would get a job if I could to help Junior for vet bills but my mother says I'm too young.. I'm really in a knot here :(

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
I am really sorry to hear that I really am.

Go to this website
http://www.herpvetconnection.com

See if there is any vet that could look at your dragon.
You will have to give him up I know you don't want to do that but it would be best for your dragon.
And call the vet and see if your mom can just drop you off there with the dragon quickly.

RoxasnRiku

Original Poster
Thanks for the website..it really doesn't matter if he's in my possession or not, as long as he's living in a new home that can take care of him...i'm happy.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I really do feel for you.... its a very difficult situation to be in. But you desperately need to get him some help. Is there another adult who could help you - another family member perhaps? Even if they are not prepared to help you with all the vet fees etc, even if they could help you to pay for a consultation at a vet so he can recommend something (not necessarily treat it)?

Do you get an allowance? Perhaps you could use that to pay them back? Or even make a deal with your mom - no allowance until Juniors bills are all paid off by yourself - if she sees you are prepared to give something up in order to ensure he gets the help he needs then perhaps she will be able to give you some more support... a lot of vets even set up accounts where you can pay a certain amount off each month. Or if you dont get an allowance, perhaps offer to do something else for her for a month - wash the dishes/do the vacumning - just small things to show how much you NEED to help him!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where do you live? We can help YOU much better if you will give us that information. Thanks.

Tracie

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Do you get any sort of allowance or get paid for doing chores, etc..? If I were you I would contact a local vet and tell them the situation, and see if they would agree to set up a payment plan. Most likely they will need an adult (someone over the age of 18) to be "held responsible for it". What about any other family members? Aunt/uncle, grandparents, siblings or cousings, anyone?

You are able to get on here, you can use the internet to search for local shelters/vet clinics, etc, on your own.

It may be far fetched, but even any science teachers or anyone at school who has a passion for animals/reptiles? Someone may be willing to help you through the hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom