Bearded dragon ear! --OLD AND RESOLVED—

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banarang

Original Poster
He told us that they can handle high temperatures And told us to try to get to 102-103? In Fahrenheit for some reason (we use Celsius here but whatever works I guess.)
So basically 30 degrees Celsius or around there.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good temperature. Babies tend to like a basking surface (note I say basking surface, and not the whole hot side) of 105-110 and adults typically do best in a range from 95-105 for the basking surface temp.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Banarang":dvap8uxd said:
So Around 103 F- 31 C

103 degF corresponds to 39.4 deg C = (103 - 32)x5/9 .

I'd try to keep the BASKING SPOT (air temperature) at about 38 to 40 degC and no hotter.

The yanks here all talk in farenheit so any temperature mentioned by a yank is coverted to SI thusly :
Coversion deg F to deg C
degrees Celsius = ( [°F] - 32 ) × 5 / 9

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Banarang":2vn8q42a said:
So Around 103 F- 31 C

I'd be aiming for an air temperature in the WARM ZONE about 35degC. In the cool zone about 30degC and at the BASKING SPOT I'd be aiming for an air temperature NOT HOTTER THAN 40 degC.

Slightly warmer than the temperatures I'd run for a healthy adult bearded dragon. The extra warmth will help boost his immune system and metabolic rate and help him fight off the inner air infection.

Banarang

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":e4gcjp7m said:
Banarang":e4gcjp7m said:
So Around 103 F- 31 C

I'd be aiming for an air temperature in the WARM ZONE about 35degC. In the cool zone about 30degC and at the BASKING SPOT I'd be aiming for an air temperature NOT HOTTER THAN 40 degC.

Slightly warmer than the temperatures I'd run for a healthy adult bearded dragon. The extra warmth will help boost his immune system and metabolic rate and help him fight off the inner air infection.

Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How has she been doing lately? How is she with taking the baytril.
Any updates for us? :)

-Brandon

Banarang

Original Poster
She’s great!

(The vet) —-> He also said that if she doesn’t eat to force feed her. The first day we gave her the medicine she didn’t eat but we brushed it off as her being mad. Then she wouldn’t eat up until now, we called him and he told us to force feed her, she did and she’s fine now. He said to keep trying on getting her to eat food without us forcing her to. But other than that she’s ok and getting better!
:)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good hopefully the ear heals up fine and the baytril kills off any infection. How long are you supposed to give the baytril for?

Glad to hear she's doing well though.

-Brandon

Banarang

Original Poster
claudiusx":1u0lod60 said:
That's good hopefully the ear heals up fine and the baytril kills off any infection. How long are you supposed to give the baytril for?

Glad to hear she's doing well though.

-Brandon

He said until it heals (fully)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she is doing so much better now. :D
It will take a bit of time for her ear to fully heal up. Definitely keep us posted on her progress.
Did you get her temperatures all up to par also?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My experience with the healing rate of reptiles (skinks and dragons) is it takes a goodly length of time for things to heal, this is a consequence of their relatively low metabolic rate cf mammals, so it could take a month or two for the injured ear to heal (perhaps longer).

I recommend you have the vet take a look every few weeks until the vet gives your dragon a clear bill of health and tells you to stop , the vet will have to give you fresh supplies of the meds at each consultation.
Stopping when the injury has not completely heal and is still infected will result in the more resistant germs blooming and you and the vet will then have a very hard job killing off the resistant germs.

Banarang

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":ek8hc99a said:
My experience with the healing rate of reptiles (skinks and dragons) is it takes a goodly length of time for things to heal, this is a consequence of their relatively low metabolic rate cf mammals, so it could take a month or two for the injured ear to heal (perhaps longer).

I recommend you have the vet take a look every few weeks until the vet gives your dragon a clear bill of health and tells you to stop , the vet will have to give you fresh supplies of the meds at each consultation.
Stopping when the injury has not completely heal and is still infected will result in the more resistant germs blooming and you and the vet will then have a very hard job killing off the resistant germs.

Thank you

Banarang

Original Poster
Drache613":1xft52tz said:
Hello,

That's great she is doing so much better now. :D
It will take a bit of time for her ear to fully heal up. Definitely keep us posted on her progress.
Did you get her temperatures all up to par also?

Tracie

Yup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom