Bearded dragon bonds with western fence lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I actually wouldn't call that bonding, they both look very unhappy to say the least as well as many concerns involved.

NEROtheMONSTER

Sub-Adult Member
I have a western fence lizard next to Nero's cage and before I put something in between the cages Nero tried very hard to eat him.
I would be very scared your lizard would eat the little lizard.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Both lizards are very cute! I really like the peach-colored markings on your beardie's face too; I haven't seen very many that color. (And I've creeped through a ton of lizard pictures, haha :wink: ). So pretty! :)
But yeah, like the above posters said, unfortunately bearded dragons are kind of rude and have been known to eat smaller lizards. :eek: So do be sure to keep an extra careful eye on them both! :)

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
I don't think Ruby likes her new hat. she has that "oh god, what is on my head?" look that Tasty Treat gets when i put hats on her, lol.

Just supervise them together and be ready to throw your hand between the 2 if she looks like she is going to attack.

beardies are known for eating smaller lizards such as anoles and even smaller bearded dragons.

that is a very cute lizard though.

zabeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
NEROtheMONSTER":3qdrs1l6 said:
I have a western fence lizard next to Nero's cage and before I put something in between the cages Nero tried very hard to eat him.
My brother's beardies Ruby and Spike don't really try to eat him; they haven't tried before and I think they don't really care for him. John Martin has had plenty of time with them and his cage is right next to theirs. I looked up on a lot of beardie websites and they say that bearded dragons do eat a lot of small lizards in the wild, but Ruby and Spike have never tried to eat him. I'll try to be a little more careful...

Thanks,

mudskipper

Juvie Member
zabeardie":28wt7cbk said:
NEROtheMONSTER":28wt7cbk said:
My brother's beardies Ruby and Spike don't really try to eat him; they haven't tried before and I think they don't really care for him. John Martin has had plenty of time with them and his cage is right next to theirs. I looked up on a lot of beardie websites and they say that bearded dragons do eat a lot of small lizards in the wild, but Ruby and Spike have never tried to eat him. I'll try to be a little more careful...

Thanks,

It only takes a few seconds for things to go wrong, but I'm sure he knows his own beardies.

esn

Hatchling Member
The fence lizard is the size of my adult desert iguana. Let me tell you a story.

My desert iguana is a great escape artist. A better Houdini than any of my snakes. I set my adult female bearded dragon on a towel and wrapped her up one day right after a bath. I turned around to put the tooth brush on the counter and turned back to a sudden squeak. My beardie had her mouth around the base of the tail of my desert ig. He was screeching and there was blood all over, as it was the meatiest part of his tail. I had to spray water on my beardie to get her to let go. I put her away as quickly as possible as my desert ig had immediately ran away. I could not find him, though it was a closed room. He's always come out rather quickly, as he has no fear of people and is not against running to someone and climbing up them.

I woke up one morning after two days of searching and found him on my laundry, having gotten blood all over. The bite was severe and to the bone. The bite became infected a few days later even with treatment and I had to amputate it after consulting my vet. I performed the amputation myself, and my desert iguana now has a stub tail. Had he not been as fast as he was, she would have gotten him around the belly instead and he would have died.

You are severely endangering both animals by allowing this to happen. You do not respect the animals as predators. Bearded dragons in the wild don't just dine on crickets. They eat other lizards as well as rodents along with their bug and greens diet. It is absolutely natural for them to want to eat a smaller lizard. My juvenile bearded dragon spotted my steppe runners from afar and immediately scrambled at his cage to get at them. Instincts are instincts. You may not see predatorial behavior now, but all it takes is a split second. Maybe the grass lizard moves a little too fast and the bearded dragon's predatorial instincts kick in. Maybe you haven't fed the beardie enough one day and it wants an extra snack.

Inappropriate wording removed by moderator. You've made your point, name calling isn't allowed on this site. Added by moderator.to believe that they are bonding and that they are friends. I'm putting this bluntly because after others' posts you don't seem to understand that what you have are reptiles, not mammals. They aren't social. They are instinctual. Respect them and treat your animals properly. Don't endanger them any further. As one poster said already, they look pretty stressed. If you choose to allow them to "bond" any more, please take full responsibility when the accident happens and one of your lizards is dead or severely injured.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Well said. If I have one of my geckos out and my beardie can see he goes nuts. Its not cause he wants to play lol. Bottom line reptiles don't bond and its silly to think they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom